Newport North Jetty - no wrecks found - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 08-14-2019, 02:34 PM   #1
BiteFactory
Chromer

Default Newport North Jetty - no wrecks found

Well, dang it! I didn't find any wrecks just north of the north jetty. I've read stories about Capt Kujo and others diving out there and seeing a lot. So during these very flat days I've been surveying that area with a multi-beam and high freq sonar. From stories I was concerned about the possibility of hitting something.

Turns out no need for worry. All I found was sand flats. It scours out a little along the north side, some rock visible on sonar but mostly just sand.

Could change during winter when the sand gets transported out. I'll pass on surveying the area during winter though.

I looked for another wreck which is marked on the charts just north of that along the reef. I grid searched the area with no luck. The reef rises pretty quickly and could easily hide something along with sand siltation. But I didn't see a thing.

I've had some great daydreams over the years about what I might find on a good flat day out there with my dive buddy.

I do have to say though - be very careful in this shallow reef area and around the jetties. I won't go out there except on the flattest of days and even then I have my eye on incoming sneaker waves. This isn't a place to relax. It will break just around the time you think you have it figured out. Just go to some slightly deeper reefs north or south.

BiteFactory is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2019, 04:37 PM   #2
Gofishinfool
Coho

Default Re: Newport North Jetty - no wrecks found

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiteFactory View Post
Well, dang it! I didn't find any wrecks just north of the north jetty. I've read stories about Capt Kujo and others diving out there and seeing a lot. So during these very flat days I've been surveying that area with a multi-beam and high freq sonar. From stories I was concerned about the possibility of hitting something.

Turns out no need for worry. All I found was sand flats. It scours out a little along the north side, some rock visible on sonar but mostly just sand.

Could change during winter when the sand gets transported out. I'll pass on surveying the area during winter though.

I looked for another wreck which is marked on the charts just north of that along the reef. I grid searched the area with no luck. The reef rises pretty quickly and could easily hide something along with sand siltation. But I didn't see a thing.

I've had some great daydreams over the years about what I might find on a good flat day out there with my dive buddy.

I do have to say though - be very careful in this shallow reef area and around the jetties. I won't go out there except on the flattest of days and even then I have my eye on incoming sneaker waves. This isn't a place to relax. It will break just around the time you think you have it figured out. Just go to some slightly deeper reefs north or south.
Did you happen to see my keys and wallet while you were down there?
Gofishinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:23 PM   #3
Dave G
King Halibut

I wonder what happened to all the pots of the Mary B?

Dave G is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2019, 07:03 AM   #4
wak'm&stak'm
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiteFactory View Post

The wrecks don’t last long, the Blue Magpie broke apart on the north side, the next year we dove it ( kind of freaky with the low vis) , then it just fell apart...not sure anything is there now.
As a kid, (on low tide) there was the stern of old concrete ship sticking out of the water a quarter of a mile north on the outside of the reef. There were originally 3 ships destine to be used to make the Newport terminal, but this one broke lose and floated back out the channel and sunk on the north reef.

Well actually it was stuck in the mud on the south side and broke free in the middle of the night.
How it made it under the bridge was amazing, but there used to be some bent of steel piles under the bridge that it bent over.

Last edited by wak'm&stak'm; 08-15-2019 at 07:05 AM.
wak'm&stak'm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 02:29 PM   #5
BiteFactory
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wak'm&stak'm View Post
The wrecks don’t last long, the Blue Magpie broke apart on the north side, the next year we dove it ( kind of freaky with the low vis) , then it just fell apart...not sure anything is there now.
As a kid, (on low tide) there was the stern of old concrete ship sticking out of the water a quarter of a mile north on the outside of the reef. There were originally 3 ships destine to be used to make the Newport terminal, but this one broke lose and floated back out the channel and sunk on the north reef.

Well actually it was stuck in the mud on the south side and broke free in the middle of the night.
How it made it under the bridge was amazing, but there used to be some bent of steel piles under the bridge that it bent over.
Thanks!
BiteFactory is offline   Reply With Quote