IFish Fishing Forum banner

Kayaks in middle of Big C

4K views 45 replies 23 participants last post by  Snopro 
#1 Ā·
Damn near got me a pair of kayaks yesterday. They were totally oblivious. Out in the middle of the basin above Reed and below Rooster Rock. Kayaks were a mud green (about river color) and the 'yakers were wearing colors that blended in. Match that up with the off sky yesterday and I would have been very, very easy to just run right over them and not see them until too late.

Fortunately I caught a reflection off of a paddle and avoided them. My point though is how oblivious they were to the danger. No bright colors to contrast with the lighting and background. If these people are going to go out in the middle like that, they need an orange flag or something.

I have been well aware of kayakers up this way, but this particular incident spooked me. I could have pulled a buoy 10 like that dude a couple years ago.

#4 Ā·
Taking a watercraft into the middle of the river that has the sight signature of a deadhead is a death wish.

#11 Ā·
I've noticed fishing yakers as a group seem to be more saftey conscious (bright colors and flags) than your average recreational kayaker.

Kayakers can get the same attitude powerboaters do when trying to deliver the "saftey" message to the uneducated in the yak community no matter how nicely it is delivered. But if you really want to see attitude try talking saftey from a yak to a powerboat. ;)

#18 Ā·
There's right and there's dead right.

#21 Ā· (Edited)
So of course you saw all this while you were wearing your bright orange life jacket in your lime green boat, right? So all those big Tollies and barges can see you, right? Because for sure you couldn't disparage a vessel that you yourself could be disparaged for. Because you could be on the receiving end of the buoy 10 incident yourself.

And I do get it. I have worked on that river for 3 decades. You have to watch out for everybody. You just do.

#22 Ā·
The smart ones will have those buggie whip style flags specifically for this reason. The 'yak fishermen seem to love accessories and are usually equiped with the flags. The average "I wanna try that kayak thing" guy is likely unprepared and a real danger to themselves as well as others.

#24 Ā· (Edited)
I pilot a vessel that can exceed 60 knots. I run all up and down the Columbia and in the ocean. I must be very aware of my surroundings watching for uneven water, sneaker waves, dead heads, weed patches, and sand bars not to mention humans ,swimming , rowing , kite boarding and wind surfing. If one cant distinguish a kayak out on open water you may want to slow it down, sit on a booster seat, quit looking at your electronics or take someone out with you that can see strait :twocents: expect small human or wind power craft to be out there too and they have the right of way if you run them down..:thisbig:

#25 Ā·
I pilot a vessel that can exceed 60 knots. I run all up and down the Columbia and in the ocean. I must be very aware of my surroundings watching for uneven water, sneaker waves, dead heads, weed patches and sand bars not to mention humans. If one cant distinguish a kayak out on open water you may want to slow it down, sit on a booster seat, quit looking at your electronics or take someone out with you that can see strait :twocents: expect small craft to be out there too.:thisbig:

When your in a craft that depends on other boaters to be alert and aware in order for that craft to be safe, you might want to rethink boating in this area.
Fish are not worth dying for.

#32 Ā·
"The only thing dumber is wearing camo during rifle season."
Thank gosh there is at least one other person on Ifish who feels this way.
As to doing it right as a kayaker, just watch one of Upland Sandpiper's fabulous Youtubes. Lots of red and orange.

#33 Ā·
They were teaching that in hunter safety classes in the 60's.

#42 Ā·
To many close calls has stopped me from fishing B10, fish are not worth dying for.

#43 Ā·
I saw a fisherperson in a kayak in the same part of the river yesterday. Easy to spot even with dark colors, low light, early, clouds, rain. He had a big visible body signature and a nice big orange flag 6 feet up. Life vest, the whole shebang.

#44 Ā·
Every time I've seen Kayak fisherman on the CR they have one of those ATV poles with a red flag. In fact they catch my eye because they have such a low profile. Yesterday above the bridge one kayak was working the water trolling along with his red flag up in the air.

As a boater I feel its my responsibility to avoid any type of collision and not just rely on the other boater to adjust. We all have an equal right to the water we fish.

#45 Ā· (Edited)
As a boater I feel its my responsibility to avoid any type of collision and not just rely on the other boater to adjust. We all have an equal right to the water we fish.
I agree. One thing for sure is that kayaks and standup paddleboards are the fastest-growing sectors of the boating market, so they are here to stay. And, as with any other craft, there will be some responsible, well-equipped kayakers, and some not so much.

Another trend is that boat collision accidents are on the rise, possibly due to captains distracted by smartphones or chartplotters.

I've logged 3,000 miles rowing on the Willamette and Columbia. My biggest concern by far is being run over by another boat. The boats I worry about most are the wakeboard and tubing boats, especially when they "crack the whip" with their tubers, not realizing how big the swing arc really is. I almost got clobbered by a big tube that was doing this. It would have mashed me and my 90# rowboat like a bug.

I also worry about any boat doing 50 or 60 mph (PWCs and pickleforks) since there's no margin for error if they don't see me, and I would hardly have time to get out of the way.

Solo and tandem rowers in sliding-seat shells are also a problem since they face aft and cover a lot of ground between times when they turn their heads to look forward.

As for commercial boats, the Willamette River Jetboats are very professionally operated. They are watchful, respectful, friendly and no problem at all. Some of the big dinner cruise boats are just the opposite - aggressive, entitled, and unfriendly.

It all boils down to what you said..."As a boater I feel its my responsibility to avoid any type of collision"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.