Boat Safety - www.ifish.net

Trout Yak!
Trout & Kokanee Fishing with Buzz Ramsey

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Trout Yak! Trout & Kokanee Fishing

Old 02-24-2020, 06:42 AM   #1
spoonmaster
Steelhead

Default Boat Safety

I got a good reminder on trying to be prepared and why some thins should not be done on boats. Was out on Ochoco Saturday. Weather was low 50s, breezy, but really nice. Water was 34-36˚ Water currently is just touching the bottom end of the ramp but is enough to launch.

Had our day on the lake. Then we back towards the dock. we're about halfway, about half mile there I see a guy in an old fiberglass boat.

We were about a hundred yards away. I look over and there's a guy standing in his boat. I look forward for about 10 seconds and then looked back and the boat is there but there is nobody in it. I then saw him holding on to the side near the stern. The motor still going dragging him in a lazy circle.

I managed to use up next to the boat and get in and shut it off. Go over to try to get the guy up into the boat. Only it turns out he's about six foot six and according to him weighs about 330 lb. Couldn't budge him. A couple in a nearby boat come over and ask if we need help and I say most definitely. With a father son duo in another boat coming over to see if they could help.

He's able to get in the boat with me. Turns out he's a retired Whitewater River guide who has pulled many people into his rafts over the years. So we were able to get him in. He then asks his wife the hand him his hypothermia kit.

He had a waterproof bag filled with a fleece sweatshirt, sweatpants, those instant hand heaters, a cap and a couple other things. We were able to get the guy out of his wet stuff and sort of into the other things. I will say it was amazing how fast it took for the hypothermia to start setting in.

I secured his boat next to mine and we headed back to the dock. The other boat went ahead of us. Turns out they had a camper on their truck. They got the heater going been warmed up some liquids. We got the guy back and into the camper. While we waited we were able to get his boat trailered.

He was grateful and thanked us. Most all his thing should have gone to the other guy as he was prepared. While I could have managed to get the fellow to shore and then ultimately back to the dock it would have been a chore.

That the guy was fishing by himself in a boat wasn't an issue. I do that, many of us do it.

That he decided to wear shorts any lightweight sweatshirt, was drunk, and wasn't wearing his life jacket were the issues.

I do know that I will me making my own hypothermia kit to stow in my little boat. Got to talk into the guy's wife and she says she's always teasing him because he likes to be prepared. They normally go to a different Lake and decided at the last minute to try this one they had never been to before. and she said at the last minute he threw a few things in the boat cuz "you never know".

Just be careful on the water. It really can go south in no time at all.

spoonmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2020, 06:40 PM   #2
AnnaDraMoss
King Salmon

Default Re: Boat Safety

Thank you for posting this.
Some very strong considerations anyone could consider...…..good and bad.
Mostly thank You for your situational awareness.
I have been involved in to many on water incidents that ended badly.
I have made a successful water rescue which also involved being alone, drunkenness and no life preserver.
Again, thank you.
AnnaDraMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 07:01 PM   #3
Quiet Riot
King Salmon

Thanks for posting. I think one of the most overlooked things for boaters is getting back in the boat or getting someone in when they're cold and wet. Even a smaller person is very hard without some sort of ladder when they are "dead weight".

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Quiet Riot is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2020, 07:21 PM   #4
AnnaDraMoss
King Salmon

I do carry in my boat a stainless steel telescopic boat ladder which hangs over the gunnel that came in great assistance with my rescue.
AnnaDraMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 07:24 PM   #5
The Pew
Sturgeon

One trick to keep in the tool box. Cut your motor and have them bear hug the motor and try to get their feet on the fins while you trim the motor up. That can help get them back in the boat.

Obviously not a perfect solution and requires a fair sized motor with power trim but one to file away as a potential option.

Good for you for saving a life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Pew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 05:03 AM   #6
shanem
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaDraMoss View Post
I do carry in my boat a stainless steel telescopic boat ladder which hangs over the gunnel that came in great assistance with my rescue.

That’s a good idea and one item I overlooked in my safety kit. Time to order one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-29-2020, 03:00 PM   #7
Reel fortunate
Ifish Nate

I'm happy you were able to notice the situation and were there to assist. You most likely saved a life.
Awareness on the water is key. I often have thought about getting back In a small car topper type boat and am still not sure you could load it from the side especially if your by your self. I guess one could lead them to shore as an option if you are unable to hoist them over the side.
My current boat has an offshore bracket with a telescoping folding ladder. It is 3 steps. While swimming in the summer with the kids trying out my life jacket and getting in and out of the boat with the ladder its actually would be some what difficult if offshore or in frigid waters.

Thanks for sharing
Old 03-02-2020, 04:22 PM   #8
flatman
King Salmon

being drunk was the issue. i personally wont bring a drunk into my boat or anything i have. i cant tell what he may do and he made his own bed. ill throw him a life jacket and tow him in while calling the police.
i am surprised no one did that. you want a record as you never know what he may later on do.
and of course should be sited for being drunk in the boat.
i will help most anyone but not to the extent it may injure me in the process especially with a drunk.
glad it turned out okay for all.
flatman is offline   Reply With Quote