How's Hagg lake doing? - www.ifish.net

Trout Yak!
Trout & Kokanee Fishing with Buzz Ramsey

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Trout Yak! Trout & Kokanee Fishing

Old 01-18-2020, 02:41 PM   #1
ceceblue82
Cutthroat

Default How's Hagg lake doing?

Anybody been bank fishing at Hagg recently? Getting cabin fever bad lol

ceceblue82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2020, 08:39 PM   #2
Pinstriper
Chromer

Default Re: How's Hagg lake doing?

Why don’t you just go ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pinstriper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 09:38 PM   #3
fishrepellor
Chromer

Winter fishing Hagg is a relatively newer fishery.
My limited experience with it that success out of a boat is based on water clarity.
Especially when trolling.
If the water is off color, still fishing or free floating with bait is best.
Trolling lures is generally unproductive.
In the past, I’ve only tried Hagg when steelheading was not feasible, hence the lack of success at Hagg too from dirty water.

I hope others with more experience with winter fishing at Hagg can chime in.
fishrepellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2020, 07:15 AM   #4
bear junky
Steelhead

I've been out a couple times this winter just to get out of the house. First year winter fishing out there. It's very hit and miss. If the water is really muddy we have seen bright lures and lots of scent work decent when trolling and keep it slow drifting and jigging has worked pretty good too. On the days we sneak out for a short session on the bank we have found scented power bait in a green color about 3 feet off the bottom is good. My son hooked into a 24 inch lunker here about 2 weeks ago fishing near boat ramp A.
bear junky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 07:16 PM   #5
ceceblue82
Cutthroat

Thank you :-)
ceceblue82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 04:09 PM   #6
fishinman
Tuna!

Trolled five rods yesterday. Five or six missed bites. Only hooked one but it was one of the larger brooders. Didn’t see much action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fishinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 08:24 AM   #7
rollcast
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinman View Post
Trolled five rods yesterday. Five or six missed bites. Only hooked one but it was one of the larger brooders. Didn’t see much action.

Thanks for the report. It has been really slow all winter long for me as well. Really slow trolling, a little better with powerbait but still working hard for every bite.

skunk is a fly, not an event
rollcast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 08:41 AM   #8
Pinstriper
Chromer

Isn’t this by design, the new normal ? They said they were going to plant fewer but bigger fish.

Pinstriper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 11:05 AM   #9
Pensacola
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinstriper View Post
Isn’t this by design, the new normal ? They said they were going to plant fewer but bigger fish.

For a very long time we got ODFW "Bows at Hagg Lake. Then when the Corps of Engineers got dinged for not performing "Mitigation" at Willamette System dams not having a fish ladder, USACE took over planting with beautiful Desert Springs Commercial Hatchery fish from east of the Cascades. These were those big, beautiful, fat, pink-meated fish we appreciated so much. Well, something happened (probably the cost of trucking 'em over), and we started getting the usual ODFW dinks again. Several of the loads of these fish came equipped with something a little extra like a stomach full of tapeworms. Thank goodness that source was taken off the supply list.

This last Fall so many folks were fishing Hagg due to little or no salmon being available. The over-winter trout fishery wasn't and isn't much fun due to the lake being completely depleted by anglers desperate for someplace to wet a line. Typically, ODFW remained uninterested in providing a little something extra to Hagg anglers and they have declined to do any plantings until March 2020. Since the last regular bulk planting in 2019 we have received several hundred extra brood trout to make it at least interesting. If they do not need these fish for eggs, they are stocked to eliminate having to feed them until the following season.

Contact with Desert Springs Hatchery reveals the fish being provided for mitigation have declined for most of the legally required plantings in the Willamette Valley. USACE is still providing the fish for other upper valley watersheds, BUT not Hagg Lake. Just like with the Coho, Chinook and Steelhead the paying angler gets the "hose" one more time.

If any of this information has changed since last Fall, I'm sure ifishers will let me know!

Respectfully submitted
Marc Davis