Fluorocarbon mainline for kokanee? - www.ifish.net

Trout Yak!
Trout & Kokanee Fishing with Buzz Ramsey

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Trout Yak! Trout & Kokanee Fishing

Old 01-21-2020, 08:18 PM   #1
webster996
Fry

Default Fluorocarbon mainline for kokanee?

I’ve got a few linecounter reels to spoolup and was considering trying one or a pair with fluorocarbon mainline to see if it increases bite sensitivity along the line to the rod tip. Was think probably 12# or 15# (I’ve got a spool of 8 I use for leader I could try but it probably won’t fill the reel to an accurate linecount level).

Sometimes I end up dragging the little guys around for awhile. Hopefully they’re bigger on GP this year. Increased sensitivity should help this.

I used 15# Maxxima Ultragreen for the last spoolup and have been happy but am thinking braid or fluoro for the new Coldwaters.

I typically mixup downrigger stacking and long lining.

What has been your experience? What have been the pros/cons?

webster996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2020, 08:23 PM   #2
S Radke
Chromer

Default Re: Fluorocarbon mainline for kokanee?

If you want less stretch why not braid? I used to run braid but switched back to mono for the stretch. I get more bites to the boat with mono.

-Scott
S Radke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 08:29 PM   #3
webster996
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Radke View Post
If you want less stretch why not braid? I used to run braid but switched back to mono for the stretch. I get more bites to the boat with mono.

-Scott
I was thinking the fluoro would be a good compromise with a little stretch and very clear for long lining. The kokes weren’t bitting at GP on 1/4 but the trout would bite on my one pole that had a fluoro leader and braid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2020, 08:44 PM   #4
Fishsizzle
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by webster996 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Radke View Post

-Scott
I was thinking the fluoro would be a good compromise with a little stretch and very clear for long lining. The kokes weren’️t bitting at GP on 1/4 but the trout would bite on my one pole that had a fluoro leader and braid.
I’m switching over to Braid main and 10’ fluoro leaders this year. On both koke poles and Mac poles
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 08:49 PM   #5
webster996
Fry

What weight braid do you plan on running?

Last edited by webster996; 01-21-2020 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Didn’t read carefully
Old 01-22-2020, 07:06 AM   #6
dog501
Ifish Nate

I use 50lb braid on everything from halibut to kokanee my rod does the stretching.
dog501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 07:20 AM   #7
azbohunter
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishsizzle View Post
I’m switching over to Braid main and 10’ fluoro leaders this year. On both koke poles and Mac poles
I run 40# Power Pro on my Coldwaters with 16# floro leader for Kokanee, when I switch over to salmon fishing I just remove the 16# floro and add appropriate leaders (on different rods of course) but same reels
azbohunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 08:12 AM   #8
Rick on Rogue
Chromer

Knowing how crazy kokes will get while reeling them in, I switched to a Eagle Claw FEATHERLIGHT KOKANEE SPECIAL 8'0" CASTING rod and an older Shimano bait cating reel filled with Ande 8lb test mono. Fancy names and 'big bucks' equipment isn't always better. I change the line on my reels every year, and it doesn't cost much. I have not experienced any failures.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:06 AM   #9
4labs
Chromer

Same here
8lb for leader and mainline on downriggers and braid for longline
have pulled in 15lb macks and any trout
Keep it simple
4labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 09:35 AM   #10
xplorz
Steelhead

15lb braid mainline
12lb x 30ft top shot
10lb leaders

Okuma Kokanee Pro rods, Abu Garcia Black Max reels.

This has landed a 52" tiger muskie, several 24" trout, a 23" smallmouth, and many kokanee.
xplorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 12:47 PM   #11
Jurasic Cowboy
Chromer

I run 20# braid on my reels for kokanee. They are not line shy.
Old 01-22-2020, 01:55 PM   #12
Fishin4life!
Steelhead

I tried fluoro for a season years ago and noticed no difference in catch ratio when compared to mono.
Fishin4life! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 02:57 PM   #13
LGB
Tuna!

I have been using 10# fuouro for years with 6# leaders. Never had a problem. I use the line for two years, stripping off the first 100 feet or so after the first year as that is what gets the most wear.
LGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 05:20 PM   #14
Splash
Sturgeon

Detecting 20 bites doesn't equate into 20 fish in the cooler. Understand your soft mouth prey. I'll keep my mono for good reason.

If you're dragging dinks you're not checking gear often enough.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:55 PM   #15
Ragde
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurasic Cowboy View Post
Several years ago, I heard that Kokanee were not leader shy. I also use braid, love the fact that it does not stretch, allowing me to feel the fish.
Ragde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 05:31 PM   #16
AnnaDraMoss
King Salmon

I have fished for Kokanee two times ever in a friends boat.
This Spring I plan on investing more time in my boat.
I just purchased two Scotty 1101 electric downriggers, two ten pound torpedo (look similar to stick weights) Chamberlain adjustable releases, a few arrow dodgers of different colors, a few Macks Double-D dodger of different colors pretied cha cha's, 3 or four different color hoochie shirts, P-line pretied leaders....to get started with.
Eventually I will build my own leader's with the components I desire.
Here's my question.
Regardless if you are loading your reels with braid or mono (I may have just answered my question) a lot of people use a short mono leader of 10 to 14lb behind a dodger to help impart action to their lure.
Considering a Kokanee and 12lb test leader, it's hard for me to believe this can give and shock absorbance from that little fish.
Alright, possibly if your rod is loaded with say 8lb mono and then use a heavy leader. I can see that.
I like the idea of braid mainline for less resistance for deeper applications.
Possibly then using a 20 or 30ft light test mono bumper.
Of course the rod selection comes to play.
What am I overlooking?
AnnaDraMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 05:57 PM   #17
Seth in Keizer
Steelhead

I just started Kokanee 2 years ago and went through a bit of experimentation and these are my results. Braid #20 mainline to flasher, (or to weight if long lining), 10# mono 8-12" to lure dependent on lure movement, more on wiggle hootchies less on spinner types. I run 16-20" when really cold for some reason that gets more hits when fish are lethargic. Arrow flashers with color coordinated twisted lures are good combo for Detroit and Odell. Kokanee rods were a bigger increase in CATCH rather than a bumper for me. I replace hooks as needed tying with #12 leader, size 4 hook on top and 2 on trailer. I don't know if any of this actually helps but seems like it has to me so I stick with it. BTW 16-20" leader if using a Brads KCP lets the lure work better IMO.
Seth in Keizer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 06:07 PM   #18
4labs
Chromer

A couple of Buzz Bombs and P-line jigs are good to have, have started to use spin and glows as small as you can find and Brads
Only other thing is a shuttle hawk it really will save your battery when using electric downriggers
Take a look at Lake Roosevelt fishing reports if you want to see some real koks.
4labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 09:27 PM   #19
Splash
Sturgeon

Mono for the mainline, stretch is good. 12# fluoro for the leader, stiffness imparts more action to the lure and holds up nicely with a spinning clevis.

Seriously... don't over think it. Kokanee fishing isn't an infomercial.
Old 01-25-2020, 08:47 AM   #20
Fishsizzle
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4labs View Post
A couple of Buzz Bombs and P-line jigs are good to have, have started to use spin and glows as small as you can find and Brads
Only other thing is a shuttle hawk it really will save your battery when using electric downriggers
Take a look at Lake Roosevelt fishing reports if you want to see some real koks.
Please don’t remind us of Lake Roosevelt. Would love to have that type of fishery here, or Flaming Gorge
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 09:57 AM   #21
LGB
Tuna!

"Considering a Kokanee and 12lb test leader, it's hard for me to believe this can give and shock absorbance from that little fish.
Alright, possibly if your rod is loaded with say 8lb mono and then use a heavy leader. I can see that.
I like the idea of braid mainline for less resistance for deeper applications.
Possibly then using a 20 or 30ft light test mono bumper.
Of course the rod selection comes to play.
What am I overlooking?"

One thing that is being overlooked in most responses is that the attractor, be it a flasher, dodger, or otherwise, as sit creates a considerable resistance to the movement of a fighting fish and puts pressure on the hookup. The larger the attractor the more likely the fish can tear the hook out when it zips back and forth trying to escape. If the fish doesn't get off right away the escape usually occurs close to the boat as the fish goes into full panic mode dragging the attractor through the water. Therefore it is how you bring the fish in that can have a big effect on the number landed not necessarily the size of type of fishing line or the flexibility of the pole. A steady smooth retrieve, rod tip up, and slowing if the fish struggles works best for me.

Last edited by LGB; 01-25-2020 at 10:00 AM.
LGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 06:47 AM   #22
Salem Loki
Coho

The pole and the line go hand in hand. I've tried different setups and lines over the years. I've used Pline 8# for over a decade (been fishing for kokes since the mid-90s) and I'm not changing. Line stretch does not necessarily lead to line breakage. I use Lamaglas poles that can equally handle a mack and koke. With flexibility in the pole, you don't have to worry about stiff line or stretch line. I use the same line (thin diameter 8#) on both my main line and leader. No line is indestructible. I catch a lot of fish and check my leaders all the time. If they get some fray, I simply retie the lure. The mainline may also get some fray from the downrigger snap, so I cut out a length of mainline after each season to cut off the frayed segment. I tried braided on my mainline and the downrigger line around 2005 and didn't like the response on the pole, nor did the downrigger stop the waterline on retrieval. And yes, with a good pole, #8 line is just fine for macks. Hope this helps.
Salem Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 06:05 AM   #23
fish-on-bend
Ifish Nate

I stay away from fluorocarbon on anything. Too many break offs for me. I fish for Mack’s and bulls a lot and ran braid with a 30 ft top shot of mono. Tried flouro topshot for one season and had multiple beak offs. I know certain knots will reduce beak offs on flouro but that was enough to switch back to mono top shots. Mono is all I’ve ever run for Kokanee. The stretch on mono plus a limber rod eliminate the need for a snubber. Plus it makes it manageable if you hook a big Mack on a Koke rod at Odell. Something that happens a lot.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:19 AM   #24
Little Buck
Chromer

10 pound braid main line on shimano bantam Reduces blow back. ( thin line sensitive feel with feather lite rods. 6lb mono leader ultra green. Fun fun.
Little Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 09:49 AM   #25
Chinook Al
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick on Rogue View Post
Knowing how crazy kokes will get while reeling them in, I switched to a Eagle Claw FEATHERLIGHT KOKANEE SPECIAL 8'0" CASTING rod and an older Shimano bait cating reel filled with Ande 8lb test mono. Fancy names and 'big bucks' equipment isn't always better. I change the line on my reels every year, and it doesn't cost much. I have not experienced any failures.
My favorite Kokanee rod 40 years ago was the rod you mention above, and it is still my favorite today. I have 2 of them and they are still fishing today. I paid $7.99 ea. for them then, today they are $20-$25.00. I run Maxima mono 10 lb. clear all the way, mainline and leader and put the meat in the boat.
Chinook Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 10:23 PM   #26
Deuce02
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurasic Cowboy View Post
Same here , I don't think they are line shy either
Deuce02 is offline   Reply With Quote