Advice: Spinreel/Centerpin rod guides - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Rod and tackle building

Old 02-03-2020, 12:29 PM   #1
Toad
Chromer

Default Advice: Spinreel/Centerpin rod guides

Help

I can honestly say I own many rods and need yet another one like I need a hole in my head. I live to bobber/float fish, with that said, thats all I need to say right?

My main go to bobber rod for spring/fall salmon is a 10’ (20-40) older custom built Lamiglas blank with an extended 19” rear grip. Perfectly balanced, spooled up with a 5500C3

Here is my question > I’m wanting to build my own (1st) Tennessee handle style rod and am stumped on what guides and what size/spacing to use for this type of configuration. I’m wanting to find a middle of the road guide that I can configure to use on a rod, while being able to switch between a (non fixed) center pin or spin reel.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have been trying to learn, searched a ton, but am stumped on what to do for this type of build.

Example: RainShadow BP1265F 10’6” 10-25 with a 20” Tennessee style handle.

Thoughts anyone?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2020, 04:46 PM   #2
pearl
King Salmon

Default Re: Advice: Spinreel/Centerpin rod guides

Don,

First - The Rainshadow 1265 is a cool blank. I have a couple but I built them as Canadian Mooching rods and matched them with Islander MR2's.

A couple of questions on your build -
When you say Tennessee handle should we assume no reel seat or fore grip correct?
What handle material do you plan to use? Cork, Composite, Carbon Fiber Texilium. Tuna cord with a Turks head would be Pacific City cool.

Guide placement is pretty straight forward. You can do a static test and use dental rubber brands to hold the guides on so you can move them up and down the blank as as well as add and remove while you determine placement. Just need to find that happy place.

Here is a video that explains the static process. https://blog.mudhole.com/guide-place.../#.Xji6uWhKiUk

As for guides Im thinking I might use the Forecast VD double foot guides ( based on what your using this rod for) .
FORECAST VD GUIDE - SS304 STAINLESS STEEL HIGH FRAMED SPINNING GUIDE.
You can see and price them on Utmost Enterprises website.

Ping me back with questions but Im betting other will chime in as well.
Old 02-03-2020, 05:19 PM   #3
Toad
Chromer

God bless you my friend.

Correct, no real seat or fore grip. Yes wanting to build it with a long handle for extra bank landing power. Planning to do 2 of them, one cork, and one CF. Both 20" from Mudhole site.

I will check out those guides. Any concern with using those guides for both reels?. I want to swap occasionally for guests.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2020, 05:31 PM   #4
pearl
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad View Post
I will check out those guides. Any concern with using those guides for both reels?. I want to swap occasionally for guests.

That’s a good point as I have never used a center pin to cast?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 02-03-2020, 08:03 PM   #5
Toad
Chromer

Anyone else? Feel free to pipe in....

Steve, casting distance will be minimal. Just want to make sure selected guides will allow for both
Old 02-04-2020, 08:49 AM   #6
Halle the Hound
Tuna!

I would set guide spacing like you would a spinning rod. Figure where your reel would set and space the first guide from the reel at 24 to 26 inches. I would probably run a double foot guide, on the first guide from reel, because of the lb. test line you are running. Don't be afraid to use concept style spacing to get the most power out of your blank. Good luck with your build.
Halle the Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 04:44 PM   #7
Toad
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halle the Hound View Post
I would set guide spacing like you would a spinning rod. Figure where your reel would set and space the first guide from the reel at 24 to 26 inches. I would probably run a double foot guide, on the first guide from reel, because of the lb. test line you are running. Don't be afraid to use concept style spacing to get the most power out of your blank. Good luck with your build.
Thank you, right on, this was the exact advice I was looking for. If you can think of anything else that may help me, please feel free to post. As I was telling Pearl, rods will be used for fishing a 1.5oz, bobber and a jig for both spring and fall salmon. Casting distance is not a factor, but I want to be able to swap back and forth from a CP and Spin reel.

Thank you for talking the time to post. Seems like this board has had its ups and downs, but I'm never afraid to post and ask if needed,

Cheers
toad
Old 02-07-2020, 08:50 AM   #8
Toad
Chromer

I ended up, for this first test/build, selecting Fuji's KW (Double-Foot) Alconite guides. Gonna play around with one set when it arrives and see what I can come up with.

Decided, to pick up a size #25 too as it has just a bit more height (at 42mm -v- 27mm for the size 20) for the 1st guide. Wanna try use of both a spin & CP.

The 1st blank will be a Rainshadow RX7 ISA1266F (10'6" 12-25).

Its gonna get messy LOL, hold on.....

Thank you guys for the advice. Best way to learn is by failure right
Old 02-07-2020, 09:10 AM   #9
Halle the Hound
Tuna!

Funny, those are the exact guides I was going to suggest. Fuji has always been my first choice for guides and I've never had a problem with Alconite rings, other than knocking a tip top ring out, which can happen on any make of guide. Have fun building your rod.
Halle the Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 12:04 AM   #10
CRD4Liberty
Tuna!

You're going to be putting some power on those grips, I know the cork grip won't hold up on it's own, the reel foot will soon dent the cork than your slide rings, if you use them, will become loose and no longer hold the reel foot. What the custom builders do is install a tougher section that goes under the reel foot area for your reels. Some use composite cork, but I prefer thin plastic rings integrated into the cork, a buddy of mine started using old poker chips turned down many years ago and they have held up well.

Last edited by CRD4Liberty; 02-17-2020 at 12:15 AM.
CRD4Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 07:54 AM   #11
Toad
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRD4Liberty View Post
. Some use composite cork, but I prefer thin plastic rings integrated into the cork, a buddy of mine started using old poker chips turned down many years ago and they have held up well.
Thank you. Exact advice I was looking to get. Much appreciated.

I have 2 handles that just arrived. Going to do the 1st build with a cf handle and rings. Will put some more thought and research into the cork install. Great advice once again.