Cork Refurb Considerations - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Rod and tackle building

Old 01-29-2020, 05:10 PM   #1
AnnaDraMoss
King Salmon

Default Cork Refurb Considerations

I was just looking at my back bouncing rods and noticed the cork handles are dirty and sunbleached. No big missing chunks or serious damage, just ugly.
To begin I have limited (VERY) rod building experience but am impressed with the talents several here have.
I had considered cleaning, filling and sealing the cork and would be happy with that.
Until I saw after my search on this forum and saw the Composite Tube or carbon fiber replacement handle. I would keep the original reel seat and either X Flock or heat shrink the foregrip.
A thread that I liked considering the composite tube did not require the entire cork to be removed. Instead you kept an inch or so of the original cork on each end and the center used as arbors to fit the new carbon fiber / composite tube to then adhesed a new butt cap.
Stickfish comes to mind amongst others here.

AnnaDraMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2020, 11:20 PM   #2
CRD4Liberty
Tuna!

Default Re: Cork Refurb Considerations

Sounds like you got a handle on it, on a 14" grip I'd have 4 evenly spaced arbors. Back in my early days of rod building I was doing it in places where I had no lathe. I'd rasp, file or sand the cork to shape by hand, picked up the tip from Mr Clemens the rod building book author, if you take a swipe off the cork than move it just a bit and do the same swipe again it keeps the cork real close to on center when you're done, light sanding to get all the small flats round and you're fishing. you'll be dropping your cork grip which is probably real close to 1.1 inches in diameter to around .980", the ID of the carbon fiber sleeve. Depending on your grip length, you may have to shorten the tube a bit to get the buttcap back on in the original position.
Make sure you clean the inside of the tube good to insure no release agent from the building of the tube is present.

Last edited by CRD4Liberty; 01-29-2020 at 11:24 PM.
CRD4Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 08:28 AM   #3
AnnaDraMoss
King Salmon

Thanks. Yes they are 14" handles. I am considering using the top 1/8" portion of the cork arbor nearest the reel seat as a stop for the handle by sanding down the remainder of the arbor to the diameter.980".
These are 20 some year old Lamiglass back bouncing rods.
I see Mudhole has the 14" composite tubes and matching butt caps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2020, 09:07 AM   #4
CRD4Liberty
Tuna!

Cool Re: Cork Refurb Considerations

Utmost Ent. does too from Batson, or Pac Bay in Squim, WA. who are about a mile away. A lot of times they are cheaper than Mudhole and only charge actual shipping costs, no handling. Do you have the G1303-T? The Certified Pro, and especially the Esprit models were rare back than. I have one of the Esprit hot shot rods I use for plug, or hover fishing, but that rod and the back bouncer are as rare as hen's teeth.

Last edited by CRD4Liberty; 01-30-2020 at 09:28 AM.
CRD4Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 10:38 AM   #5
AnnaDraMoss
King Salmon

Four 1303-t Back Bouncer's, Two 1333 Medium bouncer's and One 1382 Heavy Bouncer.
Your Esprit Hot Shot rod would be a fun hover rod for sure.
Old 01-30-2020, 02:39 PM   #6
Halle the Hound
Tuna!

Don't give up on your existing cork! Clean your handles with a stiff nylon brush and soap (I use car wash soap). After letting cork dry, use masking tape and mask off winding check, reel seat and butt cap. Take a dental pick and pick out any loose or rotten spots in the cork. Get some Golden Oak Plastic Wood in a squeeze tube from your nearest box store and fill all the voids in your cork handle. It can be thinned with a drop of water on your finger while applying. After drying a couple of hours, hit the high spots with some 80 grit sandpaper and follow up with 180 and 220 grit. Your handles will look better than new when finished.
Halle the Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 03:24 PM   #7
AnnaDraMoss
King Salmon

I considered that then sealing with cork seal.
Old 01-30-2020, 06:30 PM   #8
Halle the Hound
Tuna!

You won't be disappointed. I've got rods that are 35years old and the handles look better than when I built them. I used to seal my handles years ago, but am not sure it did much. I probably should try some of the new sealers that are out there now.
Halle the Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 06:44 PM   #9
AnnaDraMoss
King Salmon

I saw a YouTube where someone rubbed the wax of white candle onto the cork then heated with a torche.
Yeah Batson and Janns Kraft sell a cork sealer,
Old 02-02-2020, 02:18 PM   #10
Thucker
Chromer

I love carbon grips, but they have their place and isn't good for every application. They're pretty, durable, and easy to keep clean, but they make the rod/grip feel pretty dead. They're good for applications where sensitivity doesnt matter as much or where you'll be fishing with dirty hands.

If you have cork already and they're not pitted, I'd refurbish them. Start with a good scrub down with denatured alcohol. It'll clean the cork up quite well. If you want to take it a step further, you can lightly sand the cork surface down. Another option is to simply X-flock over the cork.

If you want to do carbon, I'd simply strip the cork off and use tape arbors. Butt the carbon up against the reel seat. Cork trim ring with carbon doesn't look very nice. I've tried it and ended up stripping it down.
Thucker is online now   Reply With Quote