Spinner Blade Finish Question - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Rod and tackle building

Old 01-21-2020, 09:16 AM   #1
longbow
Tuna!

Default Spinner Blade Finish Question

I have been painting my own 3.5 spinner blades the past couple of years. I have tried a few products to get a high gloss clear durable finish for the blades. Although most look pretty good they still don't have the bright finish you see on most mass produced blades.

I enjoy painting my own blades plus I can make my own patterns that others may not offer.

Any suggestions on a clear gloss finish would be appreciated. I have tried Rustoleum and other products, I'm looking for spray can products.

Thanks

longbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2020, 09:04 PM   #2
Finsalong
Tuna!

Default Re: Spinner Blade Finish Question

All rattle can product is cheap enamel, unless otherwise indicated. Testors model paints can get you some color but the same.

You might try Fishermans Marine for higher quality lure paints and powder coats in the normal fishy colors to keep it inexpensive.

Automotive supply houses have the quality stuff, in colors it is EXPENSIVE. Try some of the tackle supply places. Jannes Netcraft, Anglers Workshop, Lure parts Online.
Old 01-25-2020, 08:17 AM   #3
longbow
Tuna!

Thanks for the suggestions. I talked to one supplier of spinner blades yesterday. He told me that vendor who paints his blades keeps a tight lip on the formula that they use to put the gloss coat over the paint.

I have paint that I use in my airbrush that does a great job; it's the clear gloss finish that I'm having trouble with. I did pick up some different automotive finishes to try out.

Hopefully by this fall I'll have it figured out and then will wait and see if there are any fish in the rivers.
longbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2020, 09:31 AM   #4
mbslns
Steelhead

If you have a spray method (airbrush), any automotive clear gloss urethane should work for you. It will be a three part mix, clear/reducer/hardener and you don't want to breathe any of it, but it will give a quality finish. In the Portland area, you should be able to find a quart, maybe less at Industrial Finishes. I have purchased things there (but for automotive use), but it is expensive.
mbslns is offline   Reply With Quote