Prineville crappie? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Bass and Panfish and Walleye Oh My!

Old 02-06-2019, 09:16 AM   #1
1nutinthewater
Tuna!

Default Prineville crappie?

I know its to early just planning ahead and loading up on gear. Never really targeted crappie except for 1 trip to Brownlee last spring but they are so tasty that I am wanting to target them closer to home.
Any advice on jig colors and timing?

1nutinthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2019, 07:58 PM   #2
TheKodiakWay
Steelhead

Default Re: Prineville crappie?

The last few years it hasn't seemed to matter... whatever bait I could get them unhooked from the fastest. no nets, just flip 'em in the boat.
TheKodiakWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:37 AM   #3
adrenaline
King Salmon

Thanks for bringing this up, as we are considering Prineville res. this spring, my only question is, when does the good crappie bite start?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2019, 11:55 AM   #4
chukardave1
Ifish Nate

Tried to post a link, but didn't seem to work. But my son picked out a "grub" by strike king they call the joker. Its 2" long and has three "tails" out the back kinda like a jokers crown. I rolled my eyes when he said he wanted to try it. But like so many of the things he picks to try it worked really well. By far the best lure we used at prineville . Also tried it at Owyhee Res in the fall. Outfished other skirts and tails 5 : 1.

Like was said when the bite is on they will hit anything but when marginal I'll take any advantage. Just waiting for the water to get high enough to launch then we will try and see how the crappie overwintered out there.
chukardave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:44 PM   #5
Mountain Beaver
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chukardave1 View Post
Tried to post a link, but didn't seem to work. But my son picked out a "grub" by strike king they call the joker. Its 2" long and has three "tails" out the back kinda like a jokers crown. I rolled my eyes when he said he wanted to try it. But like so many of the things he picks to try it worked really well. By far the best lure we used at prineville . Also tried it at Owyhee Res in the fall. Outfished other skirts and tails 5 : 1.

Like was said when the bite is on they will hit anything but when marginal I'll take any advantage. Just waiting for the water to get high enough to launch then we will try and see how the crappie overwintered out there.
Ha, ha. Sons will do that to you. I took mine fishing in the Alsea when he was about 15. Chinook/Steelhead both in the river at the time. He ties on the biggest, ugliest plug that he could find and I let him know that it was a waste of time as the water was too shallow and clear, and no Chinook in it's right mind would be there let alone strike that thing. He caught two in about 45 minutes. Just goes to show you.

Is there a certain color that works the best? Thanks for the post. They are good looking skirts. MB.

Last edited by Mountain Beaver; 02-07-2019 at 12:48 PM.
Mountain Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 01:17 PM   #6
1nutinthewater
Tuna!

1/16th or 1/32 oz heads?
Old 02-07-2019, 07:52 PM   #7
chukardave1
Ifish Nate

Hot chicken and popsicle were the two best colors. I like to use the heaviest jig heads. 1/8-3/8 I like it to get down quick. Will also troll with an inline weight to get it down further and keep it there.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:55 PM   #8
1nutinthewater
Tuna!

Quote:
Hot chicken and popsicle were the two best colors. I like to use the heaviest jig heads. 1/8-3/8 I like it to get down quick. Will also troll with an inline weight to get it down further and keep it there.
Thank you!
Old 02-11-2019, 09:58 AM   #9
Don Fischer
King Salmon

Quote:
Is a half oz inline weight to heavy? Lightest I have.

There's a reason I like dogs better than people!
Don Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:51 AM   #10
chukardave1
Ifish Nate

That should work just fine. Just not sure how warm the water will need to be to get them that active. Might be a while into the spring
Old 02-17-2019, 07:15 AM   #11
puckfisher
Tuna!

Interesting to hear different thoughts on crappie techniques. I have never heard of targeting crappies with 3/8 oz. jigs. Sometimes they will bite anything but that is way too heavy in my opinion. Crappies are Masters at sucking in and spitting out offerings. If you think bigger crappies will go for bigger baits and smaller one visa versa, think again. When you find crappies that won’t bite go as small as you can with lightest line and natural colors with scent or nibbles. A bright colored 3/8 oz, jig head with a chartreuse 3 inch mister twister tail might catch fish but I think you’ll get way More bass on a big jig than crappies. I have been in Ky and Tenn. where they have 8 rods spread out in front of boat and troll fast with larger jigs but I never fish that way out here. Go small for big fussy crappies.
puckfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 10:28 AM   #12
plumbertom
Steelhead

A Crappie Tutorial

The last dramatic event that factors into fishing during the spring and before summer arrives is the appearance of the shad . The shad schools hold the highest probability of predators of all species due to the mere size of the bait fish , the oily scent for tracking and the much higher food value in the shad . All lake species will target shad schools and vast expansive areas of shad may be herded around like cattle by the bass , crappie , stripers or even catfish , ********* and carp . These huge schools keep deep for the winter months , staging over humps , deep points and suspended over deep water , but reappear late spring around coves , off points and around grassy shorelines where their reproductive needs are met . Shad schools balled up tight together are in a defensive posture and the ball design is their defense mechanism . Seeing the "bait ball" tells you that predators are active and possibly cacheable . However , the predators may be catfish , bass or any lake species since shad is the primary food source . Now is where the fishing comes in .

The shallows become the muddiest or most colored waters , where as most of the rest of the lake may still be crystal clear . Darker water ,or especially muddy waters , warm fastest and hold that warmer temperature longer , as do rocks on rocky shorelines . Off colored waters are most productively fished with chartreuse or chartreuse combination spinner baits , fat bodied crank baits , full size plastic worms , lizards and brush hog type plastic baits that crawl or hop slow over the bottom and around shallow structure . Rattle back type jigs with a bit of chartreuse tipped skirt or with a large craw trailer can also be deadly in this situation . Revisited from years ago but becoming again popular in the rocky shore lined lakes , is to rig a _ to _ ounce football head jig with a wide gap hook, dressed with a 5" skirted twin tail grub . This should be cast to a rocky shoreline and slowly "slid" down , not hopped , to deeper waters , allowing a slight pause , but always keeping a snug line . Try brown or melon colors . Otherwise always use the lightest weights possible in worm weights , or jig heads . In muddy or obscured vision waters , the bass primarily find food by sensing vibrations through their lateral line , homing in onto the prey and depending on actual sight the least .thus , bright lures , chartreuse and fire tigers , fat wide wobble bodies and noisy lures put fish into the boat . Cast to any structure , bush , lay down tree or a lone object on a baron shoreline . Cast into structure with the spinner baits and plastics . Fish as slow as possible---fish need to find the food before they can eat it ! Target individual bushes as opposed to blind casting everywhere , fish the coves and flat points . Although a solid top water bite has not yet started , buzz baits fished through shallows and parallel to shore and around bushes can produce some tremendous strikes . The feature behind the buzz bait is that it is thought to annoy the fish around bedding areas . Try bright colors over muddy shallows , black at low light conditions and white / chartreuse during the sunny day .

For the crappie , first try early morning trolling the shallows. Troll the edge of the creek channels where deeper water comes up to much shallower and brushier bottom . Troll as slow as possible using 2" to 3" shallow diving miied to most lakes.nnow style lures in chrome or bright colors . As the sun comes out , change to chrome or shiny thin lures , actually scaling up the size to 4" to 5" . The bright sun reflects off the larger lures making them more visible from a greater distance . If you catch fish trolling , pay attention to your speed and direction and duplicate it on subsequent passes . Crappie gang up , so another option is to troll to find them , then stop and cast the area looking for more fish . Remember , crappie move in fairly large schools and catching one indicates that maybe 10 others saw your lure too . When casting for crappie in early morning, try casting as close to brush as possible , even inside . As the morning progresses , fish in front of the structure , only allow the mini- jig to fall deep , directly in front of the bush . As with bass , and most fish species , their eyes are sensitive to light and they move from bright to dark and onto the shaded side of structure . Always fish slow , sometimes barely moving the lure . Given the opportunity , try vertical fishing by using a controlled , slow drop –gentle rise---slow drop again technique . 99% of the time , crappie will "tap" your lure on the fall or you may even detect a strike by the line simply stop falling over deeper water . Remember , fish do not have hands---you feel a crappie strike , simply lift the rod tip . A good trick when casting is to use a meal worm on any mini-jig used , and the colors of chartreuse , bright flecks and two tone color combinations should be your first choices . This combination presents the fish with multiple color choices , scent and movement with the curl or multi- fragmented tail . Also , keep the weight as light as possible –1/16 best all around choice .<p> </p>Sometime in may the crappie move out of the shallows or where ever spring brought them , and they focus feeding on shad . Look for signs of shad pushed into shorelines or into small pockets or the back of coves . Look for the crappie on brushy points and around any kind of ambush structure . Use the mini-jig and meal worm combo and fish slow and cover lots of individual bushes . Fish as early as possible and as the sun brightly shines , fish those same brush areas deeper . Look for "twinkling" shad along the shore and fish slow and deep those areas . If you locate the crappie around deep brush , keep working that spot until they seem to stop biting , then change colors . This basic pattern for crappie will hold until fall , slowing a bit during mid-summer mid-days .
plumbertom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 03:21 PM   #13
puckfisher
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumbertom View Post
A Crappie Tutorial

The last dramatic event that factors into fishing during the spring and before summer arrives is the appearance of the shad . The shad schools hold the highest probability of predators of all species due to the mere size of the bait fish , the oily scent for tracking and the much higher food value in the shad . All lake species will target shad schools and vast expansive areas of shad may be herded around like cattle by the bass , crappie , stripers or even catfish , ********* and carp . These huge schools keep deep for the winter months , staging over humps , deep points and suspended over deep water , but reappear late spring around coves , off points and around grassy shorelines where their reproductive needs are met . Shad schools balled up tight together are in a defensive posture and the ball design is their defense mechanism . Seeing the "bait ball" tells you that predators are active and possibly cacheable . However , the predators may be catfish , bass or any lake species since shad is the primary food source . Now is where the fishing comes in .

The shallows become the muddiest or most colored waters , where as most of the rest of the lake may still be crystal clear . Darker water ,or especially muddy waters , warm fastest and hold that warmer temperature longer , as do rocks on rocky shorelines . Off colored waters are most productively fished with chartreuse or chartreuse combination spinner baits , fat bodied crank baits , full size plastic worms , lizards and brush hog type plastic baits that crawl or hop slow over the bottom and around shallow structure . Rattle back type jigs with a bit of chartreuse tipped skirt or with a large craw trailer can also be deadly in this situation . Revisited from years ago but becoming again popular in the rocky shore lined lakes , is to rig a _ to _ ounce football head jig with a wide gap hook, dressed with a 5" skirted twin tail grub . This should be cast to a rocky shoreline and slowly "slid" down , not hopped , to deeper waters , allowing a slight pause , but always keeping a snug line . Try brown or melon colors . Otherwise always use the lightest weights possible in worm weights , or jig heads . In muddy or obscured vision waters , the bass primarily find food by sensing vibrations through their lateral line , homing in onto the prey and depending on actual sight the least .thus , bright lures , chartreuse and fire tigers , fat wide wobble bodies and noisy lures put fish into the boat . Cast to any structure , bush , lay down tree or a lone object on a baron shoreline . Cast into structure with the spinner baits and plastics . Fish as slow as possible---fish need to find the food before they can eat it ! Target individual bushes as opposed to blind casting everywhere , fish the coves and flat points . Although a solid top water bite has not yet started , buzz baits fished through shallows and parallel to shore and around bushes can produce some tremendous strikes . The feature behind the buzz bait is that it is thought to annoy the fish around bedding areas . Try bright colors over muddy shallows , black at low light conditions and white / chartreuse during the sunny day .

For the crappie , first try early morning trolling the shallows. Troll the edge of the creek channels where deeper water comes up to much shallower and brushier bottom . Troll as slow as possible using 2" to 3" shallow diving miied to most lakes.nnow style lures in chrome or bright colors . As the sun comes out , change to chrome or shiny thin lures , actually scaling up the size to 4" to 5" . The bright sun reflects off the larger lures making them more visible from a greater distance . If you catch fish trolling , pay attention to your speed and direction and duplicate it on subsequent passes . Crappie gang up , so another option is to troll to find them , then stop and cast the area looking for more fish . Remember , crappie move in fairly large schools and catching one indicates that maybe 10 others saw your lure too . When casting for crappie in early morning, try casting as close to brush as possible , even inside . As the morning progresses , fish in front of the structure , only allow the mini- jig to fall deep , directly in front of the bush . As with bass , and most fish species , their eyes are sensitive to light and they move from bright to dark and onto the shaded side of structure . Always fish slow , sometimes barely moving the lure . Given the opportunity , try vertical fishing by using a controlled , slow drop –gentle rise---slow drop again technique . 99% of the time , crappie will "tap" your lure on the fall or you may even detect a strike by the line simply stop falling over deeper water . Remember , fish do not have hands---you feel a crappie strike , simply lift the rod tip . A good trick when casting is to use a meal worm on any mini-jig used , and the colors of chartreuse , bright flecks and two tone color combinations should be your first choices . This combination presents the fish with multiple color choices , scent and movement with the curl or multi- fragmented tail . Also , keep the weight as light as possible –1/16 best all around choice .<p> </p>Sometime in may the crappie move out of the shallows or where ever spring brought them , and they focus feeding on shad . Look for signs of shad pushed into shorelines or into small pockets or the back of coves . Look for the crappie on brushy points and around any kind of ambush structure . Use the mini-jig and meal worm combo and fish slow and cover lots of individual bushes . Fish as early as possible and as the sun brightly shines , fish those same brush areas deeper . Look for "twinkling" shad along the shore and fish slow and deep those areas . If you locate the crappie around deep brush , keep working that spot until they seem to stop biting , then change colors . This basic pattern for crappie will hold until fall , slowing a bit during mid-summer mid-days .
Old 02-17-2019, 03:23 PM   #14
puckfisher
Tuna!

This reads like a page from a book. Tell me about the shad in Prineville. That’s some info Icould use.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:22 PM   #15
TheKodiakWay
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckfisher View Post
This reads like a page from a book. Tell me about the shad in Prineville. That’s some info Icould use.
I agree, it's just a general blanket theory on fishing/crappie... and doesn't really relate to Prineville. Not saying it doesn't work, or that it isn't a good starting point; it just seems these last couple years the crappie haven't read the books. I've caught them on everything from 1/64oz crappie tubes, to 5" jerkbaits. Everywhere from brush on the banks to suspended in the middle of the reservoir.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:37 PM   #16
orarcher
Ifish Nate

My kid caught quite a few last yr. While they were all pretty small, he made some tacos that were to die for !!
Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty.
orarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 04:33 PM   #17
puckfisher
Tuna!

There sure has been a lot of interest in crappies lately and Prineville in particular. Prineville has transformed into more than a decent fishery for bass and trout as well. Where is the crappie population going from here? Are there shad in Prineville? Are they a major food source? Can this fishery get better? Can it maintain? Should be good this year then???
Old 02-18-2019, 05:13 PM   #18
newfydog
Steelhead

And when do they start? I never fished Prineville until June 12th last year, when I went out to learn how to catch crappie on a fly rod. I did nicely with the crappie, and had great fun with the bass and a few trout as well.

It seems the bass were still in my zone mid-July, but the crappie had moved deeper, and the water skiers ran me out. I'm looking forward to a lot more days out there this year, and am wondering when the crappie wake up and roam.
newfydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:40 PM   #19
Fishsizzle
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfydog View Post
And when do they start? I never fished Prineville until June 12th last year, when I went out to learn how to catch crappie on a fly rod. I did nicely with the crappie, and had great fun with the bass and a few trout as well.

It seems the bass were still in my zone mid-July, but the crappie had moved deeper, and the water skiers ran me out. I'm looking forward to a lot more days out there this year, and am wondering when the crappie wake up and roam.
If I remember right, June was when weather was warm enough to bring them up. They go way up in the river past the resort in the willows and coves. Guys anchor up in the coves.

I’ve caught way to many free drifting small jigs. Let out 75 of line or so, turn motor off and the wind pushes you. Off the state park ramp heading west there were boatloads. I’ve caught some trolling for trout. They are just so small, just like most of the small mouth. I’ve see big crappie caught, right off the fishing pier at the state park.
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 11:06 PM   #20
scoutdog5
Tuna!

I don't remember what month it was, but I was trolling flies for trout last spring, early summer, and caught 50 of the little buggers in 3 hours. If they were a couple of inches longer, it would have been fun, but they were pretty small, but there were a ton of them. I only caught one trout, but could not keep the crappie off long enough to get hits from the trout, at least that is my excuse.

I was trolling an intermediate fly line behind my float tube with a green and brown streamer about an inch long. I really don't think it would have mattered what fly i was using. Also caught them stripping the fly in fairly slowly.

There were a ton of them in the bay just west of the boat launch near the dam, then around the shoreline towards the dam. Not as many as I got closer to the dam.

Hopefully they are bigger this year.

Scoutdog
scoutdog5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:20 AM   #21
puckfisher
Tuna!

Start earlier than mid June. They won’t be schooled upon in the shallows mid April but with the numbers of fish, they should be plenty active especially after a few warm spring days. The fish were 9-10 inches by late season last year so they may not be huge but 15-20 filleted and fried up will feed a small family nicely. Keep these fish. I get the feeling there may be too many right now and thinning out the population may improve the average size going forward. I will fish Brownlee and Shasta for larger but fewer crappies. Brownlee disappointed last year but bluegills kicked in later to save the season. These are longer trips for most people but fish in 14 inch class are the target. The crappies at Brownlee averaged 12 inches for me but were very thick bodied. This reservoir can be lights out late May or a long, disappointing drive. Target other panfish or cats if crappie have lockjaw. Dicey weather can shut fishing off so be flexible and trust the weatherman (what?)when planning a trip.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:42 AM   #22
adrenaline
King Salmon

Were a couple months away from our annual come out of hibernation Crappie fishing trip, so my question is are the dumb easy to catch in shallower water Crappie available by late April? or early May?
Old 02-19-2019, 08:56 AM   #23
puckfisher
Tuna!

Crappies are always easiest to catch in late Spring when schooled in shallow water spawning or just prespawn. What water body are you referring to? About 60 degree water is key and that can vary from place to place. If you want to be safe, visit Brownlee late May or Shasta late April. These are a fickled species however and prepare to change tactics when chasing them. Brownlee in particular can be slow drifting in 30 ft. of water off points one year or bobbers with a jig in four feet of water on the same date in different years. Move a lot, experiment and enjoy the challenge.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:22 AM   #24
adrenaline
King Salmon

Quote:
Crappies are always easiest to catch in late Spring when schooled in shallow water spawning or just prespawn. What water body are you referring to? About 60 degree water is key and that can vary from place to place. If you want to be safe, visit Brownlee late May or Shasta late April. These are a fickled species however and prepare to change tactics when chasing them. Brownlee in particular can be slow drifting in 30 ft. of water off points one year or bobbers with a jig in four feet of water on the same date in different years. Move a lot, experiment and enjoy the challenge.
Prineville, I know all about Brownlee, & Owyhee when mid to late April the bite turns on, certainly by early May, but Prineville being at a higher elevation I would think the best Crappie bite would be a little later, our window is mid April to the first week in May before Halibut season starts.

Last edited by adrenaline; 02-19-2019 at 09:23 AM.
adrenaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:51 AM   #25
plumbertom
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKodiakWay View Post
I agree, it's just a general blanket theory on fishing/crappie... and doesn't really relate to Prineville. Not saying it doesn't work, or that it isn't a good starting point; it just seems these last couple years the crappie haven't read the books. I've caught them on everything from 1/64oz crappie tubes, to 5" jerkbaits. Everywhere from brush on the banks to suspended in the middle of the reservoir.
OH Yeah?
Well, you're right.
It is just a general crappie guide. And it's actually a closer fit for the central CA coastal lake, San Antonio, where I used to live.
I'd really like to supply information about Prineville and it's shad population and many more things about the lake, but I've yet to fish it although it is on my list.
I just share that tutorial for those interested in crappie fishing that have little to no experience at it. It does however give a few interesting points that can be applied to almost any water.
One thing I didn't include about crappie is that they have always seemed to me to live a cyclical pattern based on a seven year cycle.
The really great fishing years are usually followed by a couple years of fewer fish, I believe due to the depletion of forage fish during the boom years, then a couple years of building the numbers and size up to the boom again.
Now I ain't a ichthyologist. I'm just an old perch jerker. But I share what my years and many, many days on the water have taught me. I only hope others can use some of it.
plumbertom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 06:26 PM   #26
Snopro
Tuna!

Quote:
I'd really like to supply information about Prineville and it's shad population and many more things about the lake, but I've yet to fish it although it is on my list.
I don't think any Oregon lakes have gizzard or threadfin shad. In the East I know they are an important food source for lake bass, but if you are trying to set up on that pattern in the PNW you will be disappointed.

Many of the PNW rivers have runs of American shad and the juvenile fall migration does feed many bass and pikeminnow.

Last edited by Snopro; 02-19-2019 at 06:27 PM.
Snopro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:18 PM   #27
Reel fortunate
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenaline View Post
Were a couple months away from our annual come out of hibernation Crappie fishing trip, so my question is are the dumb easy to catch in shallower water Crappie available by late April? or early May?
Adrenaline, I haven't been in several years but we always made a trip over in late may and could catch as many as you wanted to clean. The size was somewhat small back then and from what I read it hasn't changed much. We caught them on small yellow jigs and a little ultra light pole. The kids had a ball.. good luck
Randy
Old 02-20-2019, 08:24 AM   #28
adrenaline
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel fortunate View Post
Adrenaline, I haven't been in several years but we always made a trip over in late may and could catch as many as you wanted to clean. The size was somewhat small back then and from what I read it hasn't changed much. We caught them on small yellow jigs and a little ultra light pole. The kids had a ball.. good luck
Randy
Thanks, yeah I hear Crappie are small in Prineville, but sounds like they are so abundant they are starving each other out, & could use our help thinning out the population so they can grow bigger, besides Brownlee, & Owyhee have not put out bigger Crappie lately either, & Prineville is much closer.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:43 AM   #29
chukardave1
Ifish Nate

I hit owyhee last fall and the crappie were only slightly larger (~1") than what we were getting at Prineville in Oct. Way more plentiful in Prineville too. When the weather shapes up a bit I will take the boys out and see what we can find. Hopefully we start warming up a bit in March. So far Feb has been the consistent coldest month we have had in a couple years over here, since the bad winter of 16-17.
Old 04-05-2019, 05:54 AM   #30
puckfisher
Tuna!

Enough water to launch now at Powder Cove. 47 degrees and murky water. Many fish marked but bite was slow. Enough for dinner but disappointing size averaging nine inches. I think they shrunk over the winter. No pressure. Docks and floating toilets not in yet. The reef about 400 yards off the mouth of Bear Creek arm is barely out of water and unmarked by buoy, be careful there.
Old 04-05-2019, 06:59 AM   #31
Don Fischer
King Salmon

Got a new to me boat all ready when the water clear's a bit.

Old 04-05-2019, 07:46 AM   #32
adrenaline
King Salmon

Quote:
Enough water to launch now at Powder Cove. 47 degrees and murky water. Many fish marked but bite was slow. Enough for dinner but disappointing size averaging nine inches. I think they shrunk over the winter. No pressure. Docks and floating toilets not in yet. The reef about 400 yards off the mouth of Bear Creek arm is barely out of water and unmarked by buoy, be careful there.

Is camping still allowed in Bear cr. cove?
Old 04-05-2019, 10:05 AM   #33
chukardave1
Ifish Nate

folks boat into camping spots at several locations on the lake. Ive always noticed there are not very many flat areas in these "camps". But plenty of folks give it a go. There is day use parking area at the head of bear creek arm. Gate opens in April to allow access, but pretty sure camping isn't allowed and it is a rather small unimproved parking area.
Old 04-05-2019, 10:36 AM   #34
adrenaline
King Salmon

Quote:
folks boat into camping spots at several locations on the lake. Ive always noticed there are not very many flat areas in these "camps". But plenty of folks give it a go. There is day use parking area at the head of bear creek arm. Gate opens in April to allow access, but pretty sure camping isn't allowed and it is a rather small unimproved parking area.
Thanks, It's been a few decades since I've been there, last time there we drove in, altho not flat we set up a couple tents right along the shore, stayed a couple nights, wasn't sure if camping was allowed back than, but didn't see any no camping signs, & nobody told us to leave, don't remember a day use parking area back than either, alot can change in 30 years.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:32 PM   #35
TheKodiakWay
Steelhead

Quote:
Launched at Powder house today, both lanes open and no dock (although the dock does have new bumpers). Same water report as Puckfisher- 47ish with 1-3 ft visibility. Just enough water to cross the island, but i wouldn/t attempt it on plane just yet. The Bear Creek reef was submerged BARELY 3ft, with the shallowest spot quite a distance from the buoys (seemingly in the middle of the lake) and looking to cause carnage.
Old 04-13-2019, 03:36 PM   #36
TheKodiakWay
Steelhead

I can't see from the camera, any word on ramps?
Old 04-15-2019, 08:08 AM   #37
spoonmaster
Steelhead

Launched from the state park yesterday. Jasper Point was still closed. Went up as far as there was current in the lake. River is coming in like gangbusters. Marked fish 8-15 feet. The willows in the upper end are flooding up.

Wasn't able to connect on crappie, Managed some bullhead.
spoonmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:16 AM   #38
TheKodiakWay
Steelhead

Was the dock in yet?
Old 04-16-2019, 03:29 PM   #39
spoonmaster
Steelhead

Docks were still out of the water
spoonmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:32 PM   #40
TheKodiakWay
Steelhead

From the camera, it looks like they put the state park dock in this morning. I'll be out there tomorrow!
Old 04-18-2019, 11:52 PM   #41
TheKodiakWay
Steelhead

Hit the res again today. No dock at Powderhouse, but dock is in at the state park. Watched them push a floating restroom up reservoir.

Water was 46 about 8am, and 55 when I pulled out this afternoon. Saw water temps as high as 62 in spots. Water clarity was everywhere from 1ft to 6ft. Bear creek hump is 6ft under the surface, and still unmarked.
Old 04-19-2019, 06:57 PM   #42
puckfisher
Tuna!

Just to **** off all you crappie fishermen, I have report from Lake Shasta. Fishing coves with small minnows or tiny jigs with Gulp 1 inch minnows under bobbers. Must move frequently. Biggest was son’s 16.5 inch slab. Several around 15in. and a few brute gills to throw in. Got 14yesterday and only 6 today but quality is amazing. Bass are everywhere and if you want to target spots 1-2.5 pounds have at it. They are pests. 80 dgrees yesterday and cloudy 75 today. Going to be in 90 ‘s next week andbite will take off. Water 57-63. Must find brush and trees in water. Bring your net.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:18 PM   #43
holster
Cutthroat

Shasta Crappies 14-16.5 in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D76D708B-C003-4B65-9A07-75D01B013273_1555733430641.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	722161   Click image for larger version

Name:	074A2B56-3DC5-40D8-AF04-6250A4CD82B3_1555733469047.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	722163   Click image for larger version

Name:	F32F6FAA-9DD8-4DD6-B045-3AABE5AC302F_1555733564118.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	722165   Click image for larger version

Name:	48A8A0E4-806E-44F5-8D6D-4FDAA44E5784_1555733741422.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	722169   Click image for larger version

Name:	CD2409AE-B297-47BC-B403-7F79F7F79304_1555733777508.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	722171  

Click image for larger version

Name:	79210907-C260-4290-BEB7-9B0AC3D24B8F_1555733819138.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	722173  
holster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 07:31 AM   #44
1nutinthewater
Tuna!

Holy $#*@!

Beautiful fish right there.............
Old 04-20-2019, 08:10 AM   #45
adrenaline
King Salmon

Now you did it, Shasta lk Crappie just entered my bucket list, thanks for the report.

Last edited by adrenaline; 04-24-2019 at 08:27 AM.
adrenaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 06:49 AM   #46
HalibutZach
Tuna!

Quote:
A Crappie Tutorial

Come up for some air, Whew..................
HalibutZach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 07:06 AM   #47
HalibutZach
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by holster View Post
Shasta Crappies 14-16.5 in.

Dang, My kinda crappie. I just do not like the 5 hour drive from Eugene.

Last edited by HalibutZach; 04-22-2019 at 07:09 AM.
HalibutZach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 07:35 AM   #48
Don Fischer
King Salmon

I'd give Shasta a lot of though but it's in California and I don't go to California. To many years driving and to many time's down there, beautiful state but these days avoid it. If you take your own boat down there I can see that state really ripping you for licensing it! But I'd bet that big of crappies really put up a nice fight! maybe I'll get over this California phobia I have some day! Bass fishing is supposed to be great down there too. There's a number of lakes down there that are super bass lakes and it seem's the best lakes to find crappie in are good bass lakes. Wonder what the other's hold? After my trip with Puckfisher last fall to Prineville I've developed a crappie mind! Fun to catch and great to eat!

Speaking of crappie, I was in the Wal Mart in Bend Sunday and found some small crappie plugs, got a couple. Called ARKE Crappie Crank. Really pretty small plugs and got to try them! Say's they run 2' - 6' deep. Went to the Wal Mart from my son's looking for catfish bait, like to use liver. Couldn't find any in Madras worth a darn and only found chicken liver in the Wal Mart but super inexpensive. Under $2 for 20 oz. Harder to keep on than beef liver but trying a new deal I read using surgical tubing. Hear cat's should start getting good out of LePage Park about May and have to try them, maybe 70 mi from the house.

Last edited by Don Fischer; 04-22-2019 at 07:37 AM.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:31 AM   #49
chumdoggy
Steelhead

We are heading over to Prineville this weekend. Can anyone answer whether the crappie have become active yet? What part of the Reservoir typically warms up first in the early Spring? We will start in Bear Creek arm in the absence of better intel. See ya out there.
chumdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:44 AM   #50
puckfisher
Tuna!

I heard it was filling fast, cold and murky. So many smallish fish, though, if you keep moving you’ll find them.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:02 PM   #51
Fishin4life!
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fischer View Post
I'd give Shasta a lot of though but it's in California and I don't go to California. To many years driving and to many time's down there, beautiful state but these days avoid it. If you take your own boat down there I can see that state really ripping you for licensing it! But I'd bet that big of crappies really put up a nice fight! maybe I'll get over this California phobia I have some day! Bass fishing is supposed to be great down there too. There's a number of lakes down there that are super bass lakes and it seem's the best lakes to find crappie in are good bass lakes. Wonder what the other's hold? After my trip with Puckfisher last fall to Prineville I've developed a crappie mind! Fun to catch and great to eat!

Speaking of crappie, I was in the Wal Mart in Bend Sunday and found some small crappie plugs, got a couple. Called ARKE Crappie Crank. Really pretty small plugs and got to try them! Say's they run 2' - 6' deep. Went to the Wal Mart from my son's looking for catfish bait, like to use liver. Couldn't find any in Madras worth a darn and only found chicken liver in the Wal Mart but super inexpensive. Under $2 for 20 oz. Harder to keep on than beef liver but trying a new deal I read using surgical tubing. Hear cat's should start getting good out of LePage Park about May and have to try them, maybe 70 mi from the house.
Chicken livers are ideal try using magic string and wrap the livers. Used this set-up for years in Cali for channels and striped bass, #1 bait for cats.
Fishin4life! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:19 PM   #52
Don Fischer
King Salmon

I always used beef liver because I couldn't cast it off the hook. Got little mess bags fr chicken liver made from tube gauze, saw it on you tube.

Old 04-24-2019, 06:55 AM   #53
chukardave1
Ifish Nate

Start a California fishing thread
Old 04-24-2019, 03:20 PM   #54
bhyattbend
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdoggy View Post
We are heading over to Prineville this weekend. Can anyone answer whether the crappie have become active yet? What part of the Reservoir typically warms up first in the early Spring? We will start in Bear Creek arm in the absence of better intel. See ya out there.
I was out at Bear Creek last night (7-8) and the bite is definitely on there! Using a basic slip bobber setup (3 ft depth) casting around 15-20 ft from shore.
The crappie were really aggressive, in some cases biting seconds after the jig settled. Average size around I'd say around 9.5".

I also tried the fishing platform at the State Park on Sunday, however I did not have any good success or bites there. With the increased water levels I barely recognized the platform.
bhyattbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 04:52 PM   #55
Don Fischer
King Salmon

Is there a boat ramp by the dam and is it open?

Old 04-25-2019, 07:21 PM   #56
team anarchy
Sturgeon

Powderhouse cove is by the dam and it is open. No dock as of last week. The website (last I looked) still said closed as of last July. Not true.
team anarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 01:33 AM   #57
Don Fischer
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by team anarchy View Post
Powderhouse cove is by the dam and it is open. No dock as of last week. The website (last I looked) still said closed as of last July. Not true.
Thank you!

Old 04-26-2019, 08:26 PM   #58
Don Fischer
King Salmon

Well went out this afternoon to the state park and went back toward the resort. Found a small cove with some weed's sticking out of the water and tried there. Got four crappie and two bass. Crappie's were all right at 8 1/2" threw one bass back and the other went just over 12 inch's. Wind was blowing and had a terrible time getting the boat back on the trailer. This is the third time I launched there over the years and had trouble with the wind every time. Wind kept blowing me into the dock. Has to be a secret to re-loading the boat!

Stay's nice and next trip to LePage Park to look for cats!

Old 04-27-2019, 03:02 PM   #59
TheKodiakWay
Steelhead

It all depends on the boat and trailer. My old trailer was rollers, and did NOT like to be in the water. my current boat likes water at the top of the tires, I aim for center and drive her right up.

I keep the trailer straight with the ramp, and change my attack angle of the boat for wind and current. Keep the nose into the wind, put the front between the bunks, then send her home.

Just takes time and practice, Both on how the boat reacts at slow speeds, and how it works with the trailer.
Old 04-28-2019, 04:36 PM   #60
Streamfixer
Chromer

Load from the windy side. I back the trailer in an extra foot of length so the boat floats more easily, with trailer tight to the dock. Hand push the boat to where the winch can hook up, Winch in tight. Have partner slowly pull boat and trailer while keeping boat aligned with hands or foot until settles.

Works for me...

StreamFixer
Streamfixer is offline   Reply With Quote