Pacific City Dory fishing (all purpose) - Page 101 - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 06-17-2019, 01:35 PM   #6001
nestucca
Tuna!

Default Re: Pacific City Dory fishing (all purpose)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zdogk9 View Post
Zodiacs are evil and have a mind or their own.
Ours was neither evil nor did it have a mind of it's own. After crap-canning the three-piece floor with a solid 3/4" floor, it was absolutely amazing! If you knew what you were doing, (like the guys in the above videos in their ugly boats) you could do just about anything. 13', with 40hp tiller. Run right up the face of a 8' breaker, turn 180 degrees and run right out from under it.

nestucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2019, 01:38 PM   #6002
nestucca
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun Rod Bow View Post
I’m going to share a few sites you should have bookmarked in your iPhone.

Localized weather included swell and wind wave:

https://marine-md.weather.gov/MapCli...8#.XQfHr6RlCEd

That is between lookout and the cape just offshore

Next is windy Ty in the same area last weekend these weren’t matching. Windy was right. It usually is.

https://www.windy.com/45.259/-124.03...992,-124.032,9

Last is tide. So you’ll know what conditions to expect when you launch and land.

http://www.surf-forecast.com/breaks/...y/tides/latest

I have these three open on my phone all summer.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:41 PM   #6003
nestucca
Tuna!

Excellent reply Bruce!

Old 06-17-2019, 05:43 PM   #6004
fyshndad
"The Old Salt"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon55 View Post

Too bad he had to leave early. Sometimes it happens.

Someday I'm going to ask you for some more specific petrale lessons. I haven't been around here much lately because my motor was stolen and I got discouraged. I haven't been able to go out fishing for over a year. I'm hoping to buy a cheap motor this week and get back out on the hunt for flatfish.
Jon, what size motor are you wanting to find.
I can get my hands on a 70hp Evinrude complete with controls and everything else that you need to be out there.
It ran perfectly when it was replaced with a new 90hp E-tec.
And the price is right. My cousin just wants it to find a new stern to call home and get it out of his shop
Let me know. You have my number

The boat is out of service until further notice and won't be seeing any saltwater. The only water is going to be from the garden hose and the sky

fyshndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 06:39 PM   #6005
Joe Evens
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshndad View Post
I can get my hands on a 70hp Evinrude complete with controls and everything else that you need to be out there.
And the price is right. My cousin just wants it to find a new stern to call home and get it out of his shop
Might be a bit much for Jon's drift boat, BUT, that Johnson 70 would put you back on the O easily. Plenty of power for all the local fishing and very probably more dependable than your current motor no matter how much money is thrown at it. The swap is a half day of effort.

Perhaps a bit marginal for the big tuna and halibut days, but not for taking three guys to the Pile for halibut or salmon or YT.

I love my 70 JonnyRude. It is dependable and easy to diagnose and fix if needed. Plus, the throttle and shift will never rust.

Hell, I'll even help do the swap......I remember well, how in a fit of rage, it felt to unbolt my last Merc, a perfectly good motor that just had continual problems with everything bolted to it.

I drove the bolts out with a 3 lb beater and a big punch, literally kicked it off the transom, then jumped down, stood up that heavy 85 hp Merc, huggy beared that thrice damned motor, and dragged it 50ft to the creek and threw it in. Got feeling guilty about the oil slick in the creek after a week and drug it out with the tractor. Still laying at the fence corner.

That was in about 2012 or 13. I hardly ever get that Lit up these days.

Last edited by Joe Evens; 06-17-2019 at 07:16 PM.
Joe Evens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:42 PM   #6006
fyshndad
"The Old Salt"

My boat originally came with a 70 Evinrude but after having to get towed in when the gears in the lower unit turned to dust, I found another lower unit and took it to the shop to have them replace it.
Just a few days after getting it back to my sign shop I got invited to go Chinook fishing with Mr Kitchen Pass and Fishin Magician
While we were trolling up by the Astoria bridge I get a phone call from my buddy that was opening up the sign shop.

He asked why I left the boat in the middle of the parking lot.
What the ?????? I told him that I didn't do that and to go put it back.
A few minutes later he called again and said that the motor was gone.
I had him call the sheriff's office and report it.
Pretty soon I got a call from a deputy who gave me a case number and told me to contact my insurance company.
That's when I got the first 90 Merc. After 3 years it started having electrical Gremlins and I decided to go with the optimax.

With the added weight from all the aluminum work that I put on it I'm not sure that the 70hp would be enough for anything other than near shore for bottom fish and salmon out of Depoe Bay

The boat is out of service until further notice and won't be seeing any saltwater. The only water is going to be from the garden hose and the sky

Old 06-17-2019, 11:05 PM   #6007
Ryman
Fry

Thanks for the info Gun Rod Bow. Ill get those on my phone.
Ryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:35 AM   #6008
tinbender
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Evens View Post
Might be a bit much for Jon's drift boat, BUT, that Johnson 70 would put you back on the O easily. Plenty of power for all the local fishing and very probably more dependable than your current motor no matter how much money is thrown at it. The swap is a half day of effort.

Perhaps a bit marginal for the big tuna and halibut days, but not for taking three guys to the Pile for halibut or salmon or YT.

I love my 70 JonnyRude. It is dependable and easy to diagnose and fix if needed. Plus, the throttle and shift will never rust.

Hell, I'll even help do the swap......I remember well, how in a fit of rage, it felt to unbolt my last Merc, a perfectly good motor that just had continual problems with everything bolted to it.

I drove the bolts out with a 3 lb beater and a big punch, literally kicked it off the transom, then jumped down, stood up that heavy 85 hp Merc, huggy beared that thrice damned motor, and dragged it 50ft to the creek and threw it in. Got feeling guilty about the oil slick in the creek after a week and drug it out with the tractor. Still laying at the fence corner.

That was in about 2012 or 13. I hardly ever get that Lit up these days.

Joe, My experience with those black motors is same as yours . I have had to do everything except swim because of them, and nearly had to do that. My father used them almost exclusively with good luck. I on more than one occaision borrowed his boat with one of those motors and had trouble. I get on a friends boat same thing. Always motor trouble. Guide boat same thing. I am now beginning to think maybe the problem is actually me. ?? Enjoyed youo description of disposing of one.
tinbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 02:38 PM   #6009
fyshndad
"The Old Salt"

I want a 90hp HO E-tec then my boat will truly be a hybrid Breaker Dory
I can't believe how much power that motor has compared to the Mercury 90 Optimax

Old 06-18-2019, 03:36 PM   #6010
DogGone
Chromer

Quote:
Yeah, and according to Breaker Tony, those motors some how convert salt water into fuel.
DogGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 05:31 PM   #6011
Zdogk9
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogGone View Post
Yeah, and according to Breaker Tony, those motors some how convert salt water into fuel.
Heck they'll run on a heavy mist.
Zdogk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:18 PM   #6012
Soaker
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogGone View Post
Dan you are wrong, they convert the hydrogen out of the air into fuel, I Use the salt water for cooking crab
Old 06-18-2019, 07:43 PM   #6013
Joe Evens
Sturgeon

Hang a etec G2 150 HO on a Breaker. Now that is truly an extreme measure just to be able to out slide WILD RIDE.

Tony, I told you that it was just luck on my part.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:26 PM   #6014
Soaker
Chromer

Quote:
Hang a etec G2 150 HO on a Breaker. Now that is truly an extreme measure just to be able to out slide WILD RIDE.

Tony, I told you that it was just luck on my part.
Too funny Joe, The real test is, put 500# of ice 2 big guys and 1000# of tuna in our boats and then run back in 50 miles, I will be back home in bed and be ready to go out the next morning by the time you hit the beach

Last edited by Soaker; 06-19-2019 at 04:56 AM. Reason: Add
Soaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 04:09 AM   #6015
Tony Micelli
Tuna!

Quote:
I can't believe how much power that motor has compared to the Mercury 90 Optimax
The 90 HO is a de-tuned 115 motor. If your boat has a 90 max rating, go with it. If not, get the 115. Now, if Evinrude would release a 115 G2, I would consider a repower simply for the fly/drive by wire rigging. Until then, I’ll remain satisfied with the standard 90 hanging on the stern.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:51 AM   #6016
Soaker
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Micelli View Post
The 90 HO is a de-tuned 115 motor. If your boat has a 90 max rating, go with it. If not, get the 115. Now, if Evinrude would release a 115 G2, I would consider a repower simply for the fly/drive by wire rigging. Until then, I’ll remain satisfied with the standard 90 hanging on the stern.
Steve, you got you wish coming out this fall is a 115, 140 and 150 G2, it’s a str 3, they have not published the spec. yet. If it’s the weight of your 90 and 150hp hold on.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:18 AM   #6017
Tinman

I never thought I'd see a horsepower race on dories. They are, after all, flat-bottomed craft where speed is limited by sea conditions 90% of the time. If you wanna go fast, a dory is the wrong kind of boat.

Last edited by Tinman; 06-19-2019 at 08:24 AM.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:24 AM   #6018
nestucca
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soaker View Post
Too funny Joe, The real test is, put 500# of ice 2 big guys and 1000# of tuna in our boats and then run back in 50 miles, I will be back home in bed and be ready to go out the next morning by the time you hit the beach
Old 06-19-2019, 09:22 AM   #6019
DoryDrifter
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
I never thought I'd see a horsepower race on dories. They are, after all, flat-bottomed craft where speed is limited by sea conditions 90% of the time. If you wanna go fast, a dory is the wrong kind of boat.

DoryDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:37 AM   #6020
Jon55
Chromer

Quote:
Joe is right Hank. I just bought a used and partially rebuild (by a guy I trust) Evenrude 15. Since a good running 9.9 pushes my "driftboat dory" over calm water really fast, I think I got plenty of juice.

One thing I was concerned about was the added size of a motor 50% more powerful. I was pleasantly surprised when I went to buy it that it was SMALLER than the 9.9 I had been using. My friend told me the 15 was the same motor with different carburetion. Happy me, I can pick it up!
Old 06-19-2019, 12:06 PM   #6021
DogGone
Chromer

Quote:
Darn, I was going to put racing stripes on my Harvey when I get my new motor.
DogGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 12:18 PM   #6022
tfonev
Steelhead

Default Pacific City Dory fishing (all purpose)

I’m amazed how well the 75 etec pushes my (not light or small) Learned barge fully loaded. Not with the SS prop that it came with though. I suspect most Dorys could stand to lower their gears so to speak. The right prop for my boat is one evinrude markets for pontoon - size escapes me at the moment.

Last edited by tfonev; 06-19-2019 at 12:19 PM.
tfonev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 12:56 PM   #6023
Tinman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfonev View Post
I’m amazed how well the 75 etec pushes my (not light or small) Learned barge fully loaded. Not with the SS prop that it came with though. I suspect most Dorys could stand to lower their gears so to speak. The right prop for my boat is one evinrude markets for pontoon - size escapes me at the moment.

Yes, when you let me drive your Learned, I was amazed how well that 75 pushed it. Acceleration was excellent. I think you're running a 15 inch pitch if I remember correctly.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:55 PM   #6024
Tony Micelli
Tuna!

Quote:
Now, my 90 does just fine and I really don’t need to repower for several years, but my comment was regarding the fact that there is no mess of wires and cables all over the place in the splashwell on Tony’s new boat. Very neat and clean. I like that. And, if I’m going to upgrade, why not take the extra power for heavy tuna trips?

I’ll hold off for a couple years of them working the bugs out before I go for it. With that said, someone is going to get a cream puff of a 90 etec when I do.

Last edited by Tony Micelli; 06-19-2019 at 04:57 PM.
Tony Micelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:52 PM   #6025
Soaker
Chromer

Quote:
Charles, with that type of attitude we would still be stuck in row boats, driving buggy’s pulled by horses and living in caves, it’s sad to see people stuck in the past thinking they know it all.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:08 AM   #6026
Tyee II
Steelhead

WOW ! There certainly are people on this board that come across as knowing it all. I have never viewed Tinman as one of those. He has certainly shared his knowledge and his opinions freely and is very helpful on and off of this board. To be labeled as stuck in the past and a know it all seems a bit unfair. I for one appreciate that the intent of most people that post here are honestly making an effort to be helpful. But then again you have to excuse me, I own an old slow wooden dory.
Tyee II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 07:37 AM   #6027
Soaker
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyee II View Post
WOW ! There certainly are people on this board that come across as knowing it all. I have never viewed Tinman as one of those. He has certainly shared his knowledge and his opinions freely and is very helpful on and off of this board. To be labeled as stuck in the past and a know it all seems a bit unfair. I for one appreciate that the intent of most people that post here are honestly making an effort to be helpful. But then again you have to excuse me, I own an old slow wooden dory.
Tyee II, I too know Charles, have pulled him out on the beach a few times, (when he launched his woodie with a mini van,)Nothing wrong with owning a old slow woodies just like nothing wrong with owning a old slow ford or chev pu. It used to be a pu with 400 ft.# of toque was a lot, now new trucks come with 1000# and better mileage.there are woodies now that have 115 and even 150 yams hanging on their boats, some are happy with ordinary and others want more! Progress is good for those want it.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:43 AM   #6028
Tinman

Quote:
Tyee II, I too know Charles, have pulled him out on the beach a few times, (when he launched his woodie with a mini van...

Ahem...I have never owned a minivan, much less launched a dory with one.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:58 AM   #6029
Soaker
Chromer

Quote:
Looked like a mini van to me, I think it was a Trooper mini van
Old 06-20-2019, 09:14 AM   #6030
nestucca
Tuna!

SILVER SIDE SALMON season opens Saturday!!
Old 06-20-2019, 03:08 PM   #6031
tfonev
Steelhead

Quote:
Tyee II, I too know Charles, have pulled him out on the beach a few times, (when he launched his woodie with a mini van,)Nothing wrong with owning a old slow woodies just like nothing wrong with owning a old slow ford or chev pu. It used to be a pu with 400 ft.# of toque was a lot, now new trucks come with 1000# and better mileage.there are woodies now that have 115 and even 150 yams hanging on their boats, some are happy with ordinary and others want more! Progress is good for those want it.

I would say there is a different philosophy at work here. To take your pickup analogy further, my first direct injected Ford made about 400 or so ft lbs of torque and pulled every trailer I owned quite well. I wish rather than pursuing the 1000 lbs almost no one actually needs, they had put their efforts into something that made the 400 but got 30 mpg unloaded, for the 98% of the driving I typically do. Getting back to your Breaker, unless you have some sort of foil you are deploying after launch, I suspect all that extra hp doesn't do you much good given the ocean is rarely glassy. That said, it's cool, I get it! And God bless America - you have the money to spend.
tfonev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 03:41 PM   #6032
Jon55
Chromer

Quote:
Yea, but how good of a story did it make?
Old 06-20-2019, 05:54 PM   #6033
nestucca
Tuna!

Quote:
Tyee II, I too know Charles, have pulled him out on the beach a few times. Nothing wrong with owning a old slow woodies just like nothing wrong with owning a old slow ford or chev pu.
That reminds me, I took my 20',1961 Caukins double-end woody Dory with my 1958, 7 1/2 hosrepower Johnson off the beach last summer. I launched, loaded and left the beach without a worry in the World of getting stuck in my 1990 Chevy Geo Tracker with a gigantic 4 cylinder 80hp, with 94 ft.lbs. of torque motor under the hood of my Dory launcher. I had 11 hits, four Silvers to the net and two of those in the fishbox in an hour and four minutes. It took just about the same amount of time to get out to the fish and back to shore. As I was coming back through the surf, I wanted to blow my air horn to warn the surfers and tourists that I was coming in, but I didn't want to set my oars down.

Last edited by nestucca; 06-20-2019 at 07:45 PM.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:04 PM   #6034
Orion
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nestucca View Post
That reminds me, I took my 20',1961 Caukins double-end Dory with my 1958, 7 1/2 hosrepower Johnson off the beach last summer. I launched, loaded and left the beach without a worry in the World of getting stuck in my 1990 Geo Tracker with a gigantic 4 cylinder (maybe a 100hp?) motor under the hood of my Dory launcher. I had 11 hits, four Silvers to the net and two of those in the fishbox in an hour and four minutes. It took just about the same amount of time to get out to the fish and back to shore. As I was coming back through the surf, I wanted to blow my air horn to warn the surfers and tourists that I was coming in, but I didn't want to set my oars down.
Priceless.......
Thanks Skip

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call The Twilight Zone.
—Rod Serling
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 07:53 PM   #6035
nestucca
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
Priceless.......
Thanks Skip
Old 06-20-2019, 09:04 PM   #6036
Soaker
Chromer

Quote:
That reminds me, I took my 20',1961 Caukins double-end woody Dory with my 1958, 7 1/2 hosrepower Johnson off the beach last summer. I launched, loaded and left the beach without a worry in the World of getting stuck in my 1990 Chevy Geo Tracker with a gigantic 4 cylinder 80hp, with 94 ft.lbs. of torque motor under the hood of my Dory launcher. I had 11 hits, four Silvers to the net and two of those in the fishbox in an hour and four minutes. It took just about the same amount of time to get out to the fish and back to shore. As I was coming back through the surf, I wanted to blow my air horn to warn the surfers and tourists that I was coming in, but I didn't want to set my oars down.
Skip, Last year we were fishing off sand lake and was called in to a hot Chinook bite just south of the rock, by a friend in a kayak, he had already caught two nice 20# Chinook with no motor at all. Fishing ended up being epic, why have a motor on your double ended at all? My grandfather caught salmon off the beach in a double ended with no motor and pulled it with a chopped model t, back then they just left the dory and trailer on the beach all summer, they rafted their buggy and dory across the river in the spring and fall, each fishing day would drive their buggy from the river just up stream from where the bridge is now to the beach, they rowed their bay boat across the river to their cabin an the east side. Motors are not required or needed for fishing off the Beach.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:44 PM   #6037
nestucca
Tuna!

Quote:
Skip, why have a motor on your double ended at all? Motors are not required or needed for fishing off the Beach.
Because I get a buzz breathing the gas/oil fumes?
Old 06-21-2019, 06:04 AM   #6038
Joe Evens
Sturgeon

That smoking hole in the middle of the double ender's was not their best feature. Our second dory, BALBOA II, with the newer 18 HP Johnson with 50/1 mix was almost bearable, but that was before thru hub exhaust came along, so all exhaust was still spewed inside the boat.

The old BALBOA, the largest of the DE dories, at 23 ft, with a 5 ft bottom and 36" sides, had an old Evinrude 5hp at first. Heavy mix on the oil, 16 to 1 ?, literally billowed smoke from the hole. The next motor, a 71/2 Evinrude, was better, but still traveled in a cloud of blue smoke that could be seen for miles on a calm day.

No wonder I got sea sick so much as a kid.

Last edited by Joe Evens; 06-21-2019 at 08:05 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:13 AM   #6039
Soaker
Chromer

Quote:
Because I get a buzz breathing the gas/oil fumes?
Old 06-21-2019, 07:27 AM   #6040
Tinman

Quote:
...The old BALBOA, the largest of the DE dories, at 23 ft, with a 5 ft bottom and 36" sides, had an old Evinrude hp at first. Heavy mix on the oil, 16 to 1 ?, literally billowed smoke from the hole...

Sixteen to one? That's horrific. I would think the engineers of the day could have done a little better than that.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:59 AM   #6041
nestucca
Tuna!

Quote:
That smoking hole in the middle of the double ender's was not their best feature.
Yeah, but it was a much improved feature, compared to being on the oars all day, rather than just in the surf.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:59 PM   #6042
Joe Evens
Sturgeon

Quote:
Sixteen to one? That's horrific. I would think the engineers of the day could have done a little better than that.
Very different world. The post war outboards, late 40's and well into the 50's' , were barely evolved from the prewar outboards of the 30's. Most engineers were busy designing and refining killing machines.

Sleeve bearing 2 cycle motors required lots of oil.

As with so many other postwar marvels, German engineering gave us needle bearings and schnurle porting for 2 stroke motors, which doubled the power and halved the oil requirement.

That huge advance gave us the 32/1 outboard of the late 50's, which became 50/1 with refined, 2 Stroke specific oils, instead of 30 wt non detergent, which was the standard mixing oil until that time.

Thru much of the 60's, we used either/or. We could use cheap 30wt nd at 32/1 or relatively expensive 50/1 oil.

The BALBOA, which Dad bought for the princely sum of $35 in 1958, came with a trailer and the old sleeve bearing 5hp Evinrude. That was a cantankerous beast of a motor, which required lots and of loud foul language, just to make it smoke. Still, because the fishing was amazing, like few here have ever seen, and none will see again, we caught enough.

After that first season, Dad picked up a decent 7 1/2. It took much less cursing to make it smoke, smoked less, and had a new fangled recoil starter, so Dad didn't have to yell every time the knot in the end of the rope whipped around and tagged him, usually somewhere on the head.

The ocean was ours. I love the pictures of the old Balboa up at Three Arch Rocks the first time we smoked our way up there from Kiwanda.

A few years later, Dad came home with the BALBOA II, a very sound Calkins DE, like Skip's boat. With its needle bearing 18 hp Johnson and 50/1 mix, it was completely dependable. We didn't even have to stop to clean the spark plugs during a day
Old 06-22-2019, 10:03 AM   #6043
PeteinPC
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryman View Post
Thanks for the info Gun Rod Bow. Ill get those on my phone.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...1280561365841/

Ryman, Here's a nice boat I found on Facebook Marketplace, in The Dalles. 90 hp low hour Etec sounds good to me. $10,000

Or this one: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...6376692574904/

1965 dory w beach trailer for $3,000
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Facebook Dory.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	725481   Click image for larger version

Name:	facebook dory 2.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	725497  

Last edited by PeteinPC; 06-22-2019 at 08:37 PM.
PeteinPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 02:01 AM   #6044
Sand Slider
Chromer

Those both look like nice woodies but that 20hp motor isn't going to cut it anymore. Unless you like rowing in and out, that 20hp merc is a kicker. Literally! Kick her to get it running or kick her off the boat.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:36 PM   #6045
IIonPilgrimg
Tuna!

Quote:

Had to smile this weekend when I saw a minivan at camp with a bumper sticker that read, "Let's just pretend this is not a minivan."

My 115HP 4-Runner did the job for a number of years and only got stuck once. Got stuck again this weekend with a #255HP Chevy. Rather than relying on too many horses, the user should have entered the fluff with more momentum because a body in motion tends to stay in motion.
IIonPilgrimg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 02:44 PM   #6046
Joe Evens
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIonPilgrimg View Post
Had to smile this weekend when I saw a minivan at camp with a bumper sticker that read, "Let's just pretend this is not a minivan."

My 115HP 4-Runner did the job for a number of years and only got stuck once. Got stuck again this weekend with a #255HP Chevy. Rather than relying on too many horses, the user should have entered the fluff with more momentum because a body in motion tends to stay in motion.
By Sunday at high tide, beach egress conditions were difficult. Last boat out, as usual. (4 out of the last 5 days out)

Berm clear to the access, nothing but fluff. Heading south with one wheel in the wheel in the water and the other in the fluff. No way to make the sharp turn at the main access at escape velocity and there were three vehicles stuck in it anyway.

After deputizing a couple of friendlies from the swamps of Louisiana for crowd control, l elected to take door two, a more sweeping turn off the beach, meeting the straight route just past the stuckers, about 50 ft short of the pavers. Backed way up, hit it w?o in 3rd under. Almost made it. 20 ft short. Almost got backed out but ended up stuck 50 ft short. Would likely have made it, barely, had I aired down the truck. Boat and Trailer floated high the whole time, never dragging the axle.

A couple of ice dripping IPA's held high convinced the truck trying to pull the other vehicles to give me priority as I quickly laid out my 50 ft of straps, to the concrete, and we crawled out easily.

Could have been worse.

Last edited by Joe Evens; 06-24-2019 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:58 PM   #6047
OSUhuntnfish
Steelhead

After fishing out of several boats in central and South America and seeing console location in the pangas compared to that in our Harvey, is there any particular reason why the console on a dory is always positioned forward vs center or slightly aft?

Maybe a dumb question but I’ve always wondered...
Old 06-25-2019, 12:02 AM   #6048
Joe Evens
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUhuntnfish View Post
After fishing out of several boats in central and South America and seeing console location in the pangas compared to that in our Harvey, is there any particular reason why the console on a dory is always positioned forward vs center or slightly aft?

Maybe a dumb question but I’ve always wondered...
I ask myself that every time it slams down so hard that I end the day with a concussion.

The first of the new breed of square stern dories were tiller controlled, and the operator enjoyed a relatively smooth ride at speed.

An aft of center helm would make a big difference in comfort as well.

Actually, the forward helm most likely evolved from the commercial salmon fishing roots that drove the design and the original design itself of the typical wood framed dory. A strong thwart was needed about 2/3rds of the way forward to brace the sides where pressure is greatest. This proved to be the place to build the helm. A single operator could run the boat and manage the gear, . The poles and gurdies were typically mounted at the thwart, the strongback of the boat, adjacent the helm. The forward location meant the fish would be alongside the boat when they came up, rather than being behind the boat, thus easier to gaff or net.

The helm location could be and IMO, should be moved aft for sport fishing boats, about 95% of the fleet.

Dorymen, as a breed, tend to be bound by tradition. Not given to fits of imagination, innovation or invention, most find it easier to accept tradition, along with the beating that comes with it.

Even new builds and new designs tend to keep the forward helm that evolved from and for commercial salmon fishing.

Anyone who has been around a dog in a dory, knows that the dog won't go forward of the aft third of the boat while it is underway. The dog, obviously smarter than the doryman, is resting comfortably, while the helmsman, only eight feet forward, is taking his beating like a man.

Other passengers, tend to migrate aft if any seating is available, but usually stand near the helm and hang on.

Even worse, most dories have very little seating, and that is generally a flat, hard plywood bench. I've had relatively comfortable boat seats in my dory for decades, and really notice the extra fatigue after a day on a typical stand up boat.

As part of my restomod of the 1958 TEXAN II, the oldest and original modern square stern dory, which was tiller controlled, I built a free standing console slightly aft of center. We will see . First, it will be tiller controlled, just so I can compare.
Old 06-26-2019, 04:29 PM   #6049
Soaker
Chromer

Click image for larger version

Name:	A4A4983B-1DE3-469D-865D-D0DDB638135C.jpeg
Views:	139
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	725721

Great day on the pond
Old 06-26-2019, 06:44 PM   #6050
nestucca
Tuna!

[QUOTE=Joe Evens;16044893]

The first of the new breed of square stern dories were tiller controlled, and the operator enjoyed a relatively smooth ride at speed.

I fished my commercial Dory with a tiller handle in the late 60's, and loved it. If I was a bit younger, I would be looking for a 18' x 5' bottom woody with a splash well and a tiller motor. I loved running the Finnell's 16' tiller, river/fair weather ocean Dory for it's first ocean trip a few years back. Simple, fast, excellent maneuverability.
I guess my dogs were thrill seekers? If they had/ have a place where they can stand on the bows of my boats, that's where they are. They love standing up there with their ears flapping in the wind.

Last edited by nestucca; 06-27-2019 at 06:42 PM.
Old 06-28-2019, 05:26 PM   #6051
Ryman
Fry

Thanks for sending ill check them out.
Ryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 06:52 PM   #6052
Joe Evens
Sturgeon

This morning I helped a "couple" of new dorymen with their first launch. My intention was to do my usual full launch tutorial, but it was just too flat and calm for them to learn much so I just pushed them off thru the ripples lapping at the shore with a bit of advice on boat handling in the drift,(longshore current) and a short list of things to fix or change..

I'm quite sure they have the right stuff and they sure have a sweet boat. It is a mid '60's Vic Ferrington built P C Boatworks dory. 5' x 20', tiller control, all mahogany plywood boat with the silicon bronze fasteners that made Vic's Craft Dories so prevalent on the beach today, even though Vic sold P C Boatworks more than 40 years ago'

This boat is a fine example. I inspected the boat a couple years ago after he bought it, and found it almost untouched by time. No fiberglass, just paint, inside and out. No rot, fasteners like new. Just some wood filler over countersunk screws getting puffy.

Today, repainted and looking great, still no fiberglass, but the bottom had a nice thick epoxy coating. Gluv-it or similar. Jay dropped the boat a bit short, in maybe 4" of water, and it floated away.

Sounds like they had a good day, with only one keeper coho, but plenty of native action. Welcome to the brotherhood, Heather and Jay.

Last edited by Joe Evens; 06-28-2019 at 07:45 PM.
Old 06-28-2019, 08:41 PM   #6053
Choppy Pete
Fry

Thanks again Joe for all the help. I felt sick all day, I don’t know if it was the ocean or just the stress of the first launch. Nevertheless I made it through and we had a great time. Thank you for sharing your sound advice and wealth of knowledge.
Choppy Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 11:09 PM   #6054
Etonfish
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choppy Pete View Post
Thanks again Joe for all the help. I felt sick all day, I don’t know if it was the ocean or just the stress of the first launch. Nevertheless I made it through and we had a great time. Thank you for sharing your sound advice and wealth of knowledge.
Joe will give you his ridiculous bacon on a string theory about sea sickness, but just keep fishing is the only cure.

Most of us learned everything the hard way. Just remember that Joe can teach you a lot, but some things are leaned no other way than the hard way

There's no better way to fish our coast than in a dory! Welcome to the fraternity.
Etonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 12:37 AM   #6055
Zdogk9
Chromer

Quote:
Ours was neither evil nor did it have a mind of it's own. After crap-canning the three-piece floor with a solid 3/4" floor, it was absolutely amazing! If you knew what you were doing, (like the guys in the above videos in their ugly boats) you could do just about anything. 13', with 40hp tiller. Run right up the face of a 8' breaker, turn 180 degrees and run right out from under it.
So, yesterday as I am outside replacing the impeller on my motor, my wife' friend and her husband drive up. Candy: "Bob, you want an inflatable" Jayne will be really ****** at you, " I was just over at the cafe, I sorta told her" sure, whatever, she'll still be ******, "We'll be right back"
I now have a 12' Achilles sitting in the front yard, herself is not amused.
I hung new light fixtures in the kitchen so I'm safe for a bit, but I think this is a wine and chocolate situation.
Zdogk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 09:08 PM   #6056
Briney
Steelhead

Late launch today - about 2:00. Major mess on the ramp with two Dories getting towed near the ramp. Was pretty worried about getting out at the end of the day. Came in about 6:30 to a really short beach. Made it out but not by much. Don't know what shape it will be in tomorrow.
Saw someone on the way out as we were coming in. Fishing was slow but at least the crabbing was good.

Brian
Briney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 09:39 PM   #6057
Choppy Pete
Fry

My wife and I got to the beach late on Saturday about 10 am and the beach was packed. There wasn’t much room to maneuver and there was a dory stuck in the sand at the access. It also looked like some boats had come in and were waiting to load up because of the lack of beach. I couldn’t back up fast enough not wanting to be part of the congestion. We decided to make the best of it and check out the Nestucca River because we were already in town. So we ran down to the mouth looked around the corner and my wife wanted nothing to do with trying to get out on the ocean from the river. I was just wanting to know if the river was a good second option if the beach is crazy or there is little access? I understand tide and ocean conditions would have to be considered.
Choppy Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 10:00 PM   #6058
Joe Evens
Sturgeon

Quote:
My wife and I got to the beach late on Saturday about 10 am and the beach was packed. There wasn’t much room to maneuver and there was a dory stuck in the sand at the access. It also looked like some boats had come in and were waiting to load up because of the lack of beach. I couldn’t back up fast enough not wanting to be part of the congestion. We decided to make the best of it and check out the Nestucca River because we were already in town. So we ran down to the mouth looked around the corner and my wife wanted nothing to do with trying to get out on the ocean from the river. I was just wanting to know if the river was a good second option if the beach is crazy or there is little access? I understand tide and ocean conditions would have to be considered.
Nope
Old 06-30-2019, 10:27 PM   #6059
Joe Evens
Sturgeon

Another trawler off PC today. That's 3 in my last 4 days on the water, 10 days This one was different from the first two. They were big, newer type boats that came down the inside and turned west near Sandlake. Very possibly the same boat.

The boat today was like the trawlers of the 90's. Smaller, well used. It came straight down the 30 fathom line and continued south down the the halibut bed and out of sight, pulling a huge cloud of sea birds with it.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:31 AM   #6060
nestucca
Tuna!

Quote:
I would strongly recommend you take the Nestucca off your option list for entering the ocean. Not even an option most of the time. Our water rescue crews have enough to deal with.