Who owns a NorthRiver Seahawk Offshore? - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 09-05-2006, 06:50 AM   #1
Spindrifter
Ifish Nate

Default Who owns a NorthRiver Seahawk Offshore?

Like everyone else, I'm always looking at new boats. I took a look at a 24' North River Seahawk Offshore as an option. I loved the self-bailing welded deck, the huge fishbox(s) and 120 gal gas tank. I'm just looking for some opinions from anyone who has taken a ride on one or even better, someone who owns one.

" Our ideals resemble the stars, which illuminate the night. No one will ever be able to touch them. But the men who, like the sailors on the ocean, take them for guides, will undoubtedly reach their goal. " -Carl Schurz
Spindrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2006, 08:03 AM   #2
namu mac
Sturgeon

Default Re: Who owns a NorthRiver Seahawk Offshore?

PM sent
Old 09-05-2006, 09:26 AM   #3
hdmfish
Cutthroat

I purchased a 24' NorthRiver with a 250hp Yamaha 4 Stroke this spring.

The 120hp fuel tank with the 250hp seems to be plenty. I run out of Newport to the Chicken Ranch and average about 40 gallons of fuel. Most days if the ocean is cooperating I run about 25 mph with the boat loaded, and it doesn't beat me to death. Top speed on the boat is well over 40mph.

I had originally looked at purchasing this boat with twin 115hp motors. I decided the 115 wouldn't be an adaquet single motor, but 150hp's probably would have been. I just couldn't swallow the upcharge.

I purchased my boat from Scott at "y" Marine in Coos Bay. I found him to be the most knowledgable and helpful, and he also had the best price. I did look at (and ride in) several other brands of boats. I spent a year researching before making my decision.

Some of the other things I liked about this boat were the freeboard and deck space. I have mounted a 162 qt cooler in the center of my deck. It clears all the hatch lids and works great as a seat, but still has plenty of room to walk around.

The self bailing deck is great. It is easy to hose out the slime after landing a fish. Six good sized Halibut in the floor box doesn't even make a dent. I cant wait to fill the box with Tuna!

The only complaint I have is the 8hp motor they put on as a standard kicker. It is marginal for the ocean. I have changed mine out already. I now have a 25 hp 4 stroke Yamaha with power tilt and trim. I also had to have the bracket modified to accept the new motor.

My old boat was a 21' Starcraft that had paid its dues.

If you have any other questions send me a call at 541-567-8419 Between 8 and 5. I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Happy Hooking!
Rod
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2006, 03:45 PM   #4
Rockhard
Steelhead

I bought the 26' Seahawk about 8 months ago. I put twin 150s on it and it screams!!! I absolutelly Love the performance and design of the boat. The 120 gallon tank provides tons of distance. Did 4 days on the San Juans on 1 tank,,, about 330 miles. The self bailing deck will now be a must have when I search for future boats.
I am having problems with small details on the boat. The first week when I opened one of the windows the metal part of the window came right off. Then a month later the other window did the same thing. This is no easy fix. I had to bring it down to get fixed. Steve at the North River repair shop in Wilsonville is great! The other problems: The pole holders on the side keep coming off, the lock on the cabin door about disinigrated in my hands this last weekend leaving me unable to lock the door while moored. The bolts on the chairs need to be tightend just about every other month. The bilge pump..... has been the biggest nightmare of all. The float kept sticking in the on position and would drain my battery, so when you get ready to put the boat in,,, at 5:00am,, you have no bateries to get the motors down or started... then it would stick in the off position when I would need it most,,, like 55 miles out to sea. I had it replaced twice now and finally had to have Steve put on a new kind (3rd time) of float... It is no easy thing to bring my boat down to the repair shop, especially when it is fishing season. But I have been there 3 times and need to go back again. I still don't know if this float is any better,,, the work was just done. Just little details that I think could be alot better. So my advice is to get the warrenty on the entire boat untill all the corks are worked out.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:50 PM   #5
Tacklebuster
Sturgeon

Quote:
It is no easy thing to bring my boat down to the repair shop, especially when it is fishing season
I hear you brother....
Tacklebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 03:59 PM   #6
hdmfish
Cutthroat

I have had the same problem with the Rod Holders on my 24'. I haven't had any window or bilge pump problems (knock on wood).
Old 09-05-2006, 04:13 PM   #7
backlash442
Ifish Nate

Rockhard, have you ever had water in your bilge at 55 miles out? Or any other time for that matter?
backlash442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 05:04 PM   #8
Rockhard
Steelhead

yes I have... I had to take my gaff and place it under the float in harsh seas to get it to work!!! Not fun!!!!
Old 09-05-2006, 05:08 PM   #9
Rockhard
Steelhead

The other thing I love about the boat... is the trim tabs.. Bury them and hit the rough seas can make a harsh day seem fine and keeps the boat,,, fast! Not like the heavier glass boats but very nice for the aluminum.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:18 PM   #10
Something Good
Sturgeon

I have a 26' with twin 150's and a T-8 kicker. I haven't had the bilge pumps come on (I have 2) but there is usually a few gallons in my bilge after a tuna trip or on a rough day. I think the small drain hole in the channel for the fishbox lid might drain into the bilge. Other than that I don't know where it comes from. A fishing trip out on the river or a calm day on the ocean does not cause any water to get into the bilge. I have had a few problems like someone else here said it's hard to get the boat to the shop during fishing season. I don't believe I have had any quality control issues other than a miscommunication about the anchor pulpit. Of course it had to go all the way back to Roseburg for correction. Other problems: leaking tire valve stem, one of the horns not working due to water intrusion, tail lamp shorting due to water intrusion, trailer brake solenoid not working so brakes lock up when trying to back up, steering having air in hydraulics, washdown pump has an intermittent low pressure issue that has not been resolved, port engine was leaking oil at the oil pump, 1 of the seat bases broke, Yamaha fuel management system had a bad sensor and was only reading one engine... That's all I can think of right off hand. I have owned three new saltwater boats and have had problems with them all so I'm not completely frustrated. The service department has done a good job of taking care of the problems as they come up. 5 trips to the shop during fishing season is a real pain in the... Overall I really think it's a good value and I like the boat. The 150's really move the boat and it handles the rough water very well.

"If you see a good fight get in it" Reverand Vernon Johns
Something Good is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 06:24 PM   #11
Spindrifter
Ifish Nate

One other question I had....what is the hull warranty for this model? One salesman told me it was 5 years on this model only because that's what the old Almar warranty was. The literature I received for the boat says that the warranty is lifetime to the original purchaser...what's the real deal?
" Our ideals resemble the stars, which illuminate the night. No one will ever be able to touch them. But the men who, like the sailors on the ocean, take them for guides, will undoubtedly reach their goal. " -Carl Schurz
Old 09-05-2006, 07:27 PM   #12
namu mac
Sturgeon

The warranty I recieved with my boat says 5 years. NR says the flyer sheet is a misprint.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:41 PM   #13
tinfish

I own an Almar built 26' NR Seahawk O/S. Purchased Feb. 2005. My hull warranty says "Limited Lifetime" to the original purchaser.

To the poster above with the 26' and the 120 gal tank. Are you certain about the 120 gal capacity? I ask only because my 26' has a 170 gal fuel tank.

Back to the original question. Love the boat. I have no regrets and would buy it again. It's also equipped with twin 150 yamahas. Plenty fast and stable. 46 mph on smooth water. No bilge pump or window problems. I used to get water in the bilge as the access cover on top of the offshore bracket leaked pretty badly. I made a new cover out of StarBoard that screws down using the existing holes. Now the bilge stays dry.

Gary
tinfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 01:41 AM   #14
Something Good
Sturgeon

I think the long cabin gets the small tank due to the rear deck space being shorter. I have the short cabin with the 170gal tank. That was something else I was going to look at for leaks. The access cover in the offshore bracket looks like a leak waiting to happen.

Old 09-06-2006, 05:23 AM   #15
Highmark
Ifish Nate

I have A 22FT 06. The problems I have had are all the wire
terminals under the dash came loose from the first run down to the coast. the bilge pump switch would stay open, or up
found there was, paper and zip tie's under it. stuff they did not clean up after assembly of boat. a quality problem
the trailer would sway back and forth. axles needed to be
moved back a little. that fixed that. the retainer bolts for the locking dog on the door had to replace with longer bolts to keep it from coming loose. some one said they had
a problem with the wash down having a pressure problem.
that would be the drain back from the hole in the boat itself. the water drains back out if you are not using it. it take a second for it to start picking up water, after it
has (not) been used for a while.that is what I have seen
with my unit. any way. Other than that those small problems
it's been a great boat. love it. and the pole holders needed to be tightened up. Must be some limp risted assembly
persons in Roseberg. a little tigthing of the bolts,that was fixed.
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 05:47 AM   #16
namu mac
Sturgeon

If you have a 6' cabin you get 170 gal fuel. The 8' cabin has a 120 gal tank. With the 8' cabin you can omit the large fish box and get the 170 gal. tank.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:53 AM   #17
Eaglecap
Chromer

I purchased a 24' NR offshore with a 225 Yamaha and an 8 hp kicker.
I love the boat but have had some problems.
First i have 4 leaks in the offshore bracket. 2 on each side due to a cold weld. Typical on each side.
North River added to the problem by caulking over the weld making it very difficult to repair. They assure me they will fix it this winter after Tuna.
I also have had the metal closure strip come off of both side windows. One is still off. Both have been in for service and only holds for a short time.
Steve in the service dept. is great but you have to schedule 2 weeks in advance to get your boat in and it is always a hassle to drop off if you are working.
I wish i had the 120 gal. tank in my boat. I have the 100 and with Tuna being so far out i take a couple of 6 gal. cans for insurance. Have not needed them yet.
I have the short cabin and it is ok. I like the extra fishing room but the 8' cabin is really nice.
I can't believe they don't offer supension seats in an offshore boat. It could really use them. You would loose a lot of storage space in doing so.
I don't mean to sound negative because i love the boat but want you to know some of the problems i have had.

Good luck with your boat.
Eaglecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 08:40 AM   #18
Something Good
Sturgeon

Eaglecap, I saw several with suspension seats when I took a tour of the factory.

Old 09-06-2006, 09:44 AM   #19
Spindrifter
Ifish Nate

The one I looked at also had suspension seats
Old 09-06-2006, 10:08 AM   #20
tinfish

Yes, I do have the 6' cabin. I should have given that more thought before posting. It makes sense that the 8' cabin would have less fuel capacity.

Thanks.

Gary
tinfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 11:17 AM   #21
Eaglecap
Chromer

I wish the dealer in Clackamas was better informed when i was buying. I would love to have supension seats and a larger fuel tank.
The seats i can do myself but i think the tank is probably not an option.
All in all i like the boat and have had a blast fishing this year.
Eaglecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 11:57 AM   #22
Tanner
Sturgeon

Not bashing anybody, just an observation:

I find it very funny that so many of you have had this many problems with brand new boats and don't seem to think it is a big deal. If I spent that kind of coin on a brand new boat and had 1/4 of the problems that you have posted above I would be IRATE and the dealership would know about it.

As far as a leaking access cover for an offshore bracket, I would think that would be a design flaw that NR should be taking care of, I mean why should you pay to fix their bad design?
Old 09-06-2006, 12:12 PM   #23
backlash442
Ifish Nate

Personally I think all boats have some issue or another no matter what you pay for them. Something always seems to slip through.

Regarding the offshore bracket leaking. I've read of several North River owners having them leak. Not just in the OS model. You could probably do a search on this site. Pretty sure one or two had a lot of water come in and maybe even posted a picture of the weld job or lack there of. Now that to me speaks of poor QC. Really no excuse for that.

Sometimes I get the impression that nobody wants to say anything bad about North River boats. Well I own one (Seahawk) and if I think something wasn't designed right or have problems with I won't be pulling any punches. Having said that however, my boat is pretty much problem free.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:03 PM   #24
Tacklebuster
Sturgeon

Quote:
If I spent that kind of coin on a brand new boat and had 1/4 of the problems that you have posted above I would be IRATE and the dealership would know about
And that does what exactly......
If being irate and telling the dealership about it is all it takes, it would be pretty simple.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:26 PM   #25
Highmark
Ifish Nate

The first thing I did was call Scott at dealer. And let his
know Just what I found wrong with the boat. and In the
letter Northriver sent out . I blasted there quality,
By the way I am an Inspector. So know what quality is,and not is.....
Old 09-06-2006, 01:37 PM   #26
Bait O Eggs
King Salmon

I expect all new boats to have issues, if you dont have issues, your not using your boat enough to find them

I have helped Eaglecap sort out some of his issues. Other than a window which needs some TLC and some questionable assembly procedures on how the offshore bracket is put together which results in leaks, I am pretty impressed with the boat overall. (did I really say that )

River trials for ocean boats are to find things like yokes on shifting cables that only get screwed on a thread or two, and break off the first trip leaving you to limp home on the kicker Window frames that fall apart, and water showing up in the bilge when it should be dry.

As long as the dealer is willing to fix the problems in a timely manner, its all good. Make a list and get it in for repairs.

When your deck doesnt drain due to plugged scuppers, you get the wife with a stick on the outside of the boat poking while your blasting on the inside trying to clear the blockage, dont expect any loving for a while when tuna hearts shoot out and hit the wife

Having been on the boat a few times my thoughts are the boat has undersized scupper drains, double the diameter and 4 times the volume. I have found nothing that gets stuck in my 3 inch scuppers yet backing the water up. Certainly not a tuna heart. I also dont like the dual steering system used, where you have to have one in neutral to operate the other one. I like mine where I can operated either station without having to go put the other in neutral before the other one works. I would not like to be trolling from the front steering station looking for tuna and checking the chartplotter/GPS, run to the back of the boat when a rod folds, wait 20 seconds for a double and not being able to get the boat out of gear unless I put my rod down and go into the cabin to get neutral.

The sliding door is pretty nice, takes a little less room than my swinging door. Dont get your fingers around the frame when you slide it, you will lose a finger tip.

Wish the side windows slid the other direction nothing like pulling up to another boat to talk to them and the window next to the driver doesnt open you have to hop in the backseat to talk out the window

100 gallon tank is not enough for a tuna run. Eaglecap is running about 80 - 85 gallons a trip out of Tillamook. Doesnt leave much room for error or getting stuck outside waiting for a bar to open.

I waiting to see how the drum brakes hold up on the NR trailer Eaglecap has. I know I have had a ton of issues with my disc surge brakes, but think I have that remedied with the Kodiak swap out, only time will tell on that also.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:03 PM   #27
Rockhard
Steelhead

I do have the 8' cabin and love it, hence the 120 gallon tank... Still have plenty of range, I went 60 miles out last week and ran HARD looking for Tuna, only used 63 gallons all day. It is nice to hear ,,, or not nice,, that I am not the only one with problems. Yes the boat does have the hydrolic seat option,but I chose not to for the extra storage.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:24 PM   #28
backlash442
Ifish Nate

Rockhard, do you know how many n.m. you put on the boat when you burned the 63 gallons?
Old 09-06-2006, 02:29 PM   #29
Tanner
Sturgeon

So it's just status quo to spend $40,000 - 100,000+ on a brand new boat and expect to have lot's of problems? Glad my experience was a lot different than that.

Tacklebuster - Maybe if enough customers got Irate with the dealers, they would change their quality control practices. I know it has worked with my business.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:02 PM   #30
Something Good
Sturgeon

I've owned 4 new boats, 10 new cars and even a new house. They've all got their bugs that need to be worked out and if I got irate about all of them I'd be a real unhappy guy. Not everyone wants to go through life irate and unhappy.

Tanner I see you are part of team Motion Marine. I have a coworker that just spent $90K+ on a new Motion Marine. I should give you his # so he can talk to you about why he picked the boat up in April and has yet to break 30hrs. He wishes he has had as few of problems as my NR.

Old 09-06-2006, 03:08 PM   #31
Tacklebuster
Sturgeon

Yea your right, we are all just a bunch of spineless souls who tip toe around the dealership and never voice concern

Be glad you are fortunate enough to not have any issues.

Status quo..... you act like people ask to have issues and then just not say anything. It's bad enough some of us have some bugs to work out, we sure don't need your words of encouragement. I can't speak for anybody else than myself but I know I have spent a lot of time and effort trying to get my boat squared away. You really think it's as easy as being irate and letting them know your unhappy? I take your comments as insults and don't appreciate any of them. Besides, if you don't own a Northriver, why even comment on something you have no clue about.

I guess it must be nice to live in a problem free world where all a guy has to do is blow his stack to make the world right again
Old 09-06-2006, 04:35 PM   #32
namu mac
Sturgeon

Quote:
So it's just status quo to spend $40,000 - 100,000+ on a brand new boat and expect to have lot's of problems? Glad my experience was a lot different than that.

Tacklebuster - Maybe if enough customers got Irate with the dealers, they would change their quality control practices. I know it has worked with my business.
I talked with a fellow named Sam Kysar last winter ath both the boat and sporsman shows. Two years ago he wanted to buy a new Almar boat but they couldn't deliver quick enough so he ordered a new MM in the 30-32' range . This guy is a guide at Maquina Resort in Thasis B.C. on the WCVI. His boat WILL NOT trim out it runs very very wet. THAT"S A PROBLEM much more than the bilge pump doesn't work properly.
MM has not been able to fix the problem. Seems every issue on the thread has been or will be FIXED> YOu buy something like these boats and a few issues are likely to arrise. Wish Tanner would share with us the prefect boat he bought.
Bill McKee a happy satisfied NR O/S owner and I'd do it again!
Old 09-06-2006, 06:43 PM   #33
backlash442
Ifish Nate

Could you please explain what "not trim out" means? I have an idea but want to be clear in your meaning. As for wet boat, well there are a lot of those out there. Heck I think my Seahawk is a wet boat.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:50 PM   #34
namu mac
Sturgeon

Meaning that the bow will not raise up enough as the boat accelerates. Too much boat in the water. Affects ride and fuel usage big time. It's powered by twin 250hp Suzukis so thats not an issue.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:57 PM   #35
foxer
Sturgeon

TB should be in a Northriver brochure in the warranty/customer service section. Lots of issues that Northriver seemed to step up and correct. Cant ask for much more than that. Remember boats are made by humans, not by machines like our vehicles.
foxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 07:52 PM   #36
Gregotis98
Chromer

The pounding a boat takes in the ocean is nothing like a boat used on the river anchored up in a hog line. The beating a boat takes in the ocean is so much more, hammering through waves and running hours on end with all sorts of harmonics going on will shake and rattle screws and bolts all day long. It's nice to see you guys are fairly patient with your boats and what I would say are somewhat usual problem with any boat.

Does North River make their own trailers? It seems like I've read in the past a few problems with trailers and North River. Pulling a large boat and having trailer issues scares me more than the ocean does at times. I'm pulling around a 26' boat with a 10' beam weighing 8200# and I am always on edge draging that thing around. Even if you have a new boat I would recomend carring a spare hub and bearings with you at all times.
Gregotis98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 07:58 PM   #37
Something Good
Sturgeon

NR makes welded aluminum trailers but I haven't seen one under an OS. I've only seen them with EZ Loaders. I don't like trailer problems either and upgraded mine by 1700#'s from the standard trailer that comes with it. I wanted more than a 500# margin of error.

Old 09-06-2006, 09:56 PM   #38
backlash442
Ifish Nate

Namu Mac, that's what I thought. Interesting. Boat must be sucking the fuel if it can't plain properly.

Is the 1700lb. margin with the boat dry or wet? If it's dry then even that isn't much imo.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:36 AM   #39
Something Good
Sturgeon

Backlash, I have 2200lbs to spare wet.

Old 09-07-2006, 06:17 AM   #40
Spindrifter
Ifish Nate

Something Good, what does your boat weigh wet if you don't mind....just want to make a comparison to my current boat.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:22 AM   #41
hot wire
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Regarding the offshore bracket leaking. I've read of several North River owners having them leak. Not just in the OS model. You could probably do a search on this site. Pretty sure one or two had a lot of water come in and maybe even posted a picture of the weld job or lack there of. Now that to me speaks of poor QC. Really no excuse for that.

Sometimes I get the impression that nobody wants to say anything bad about North River boats. Well I own one (Seahawk) and if I think something wasn't designed right or have problems with I won't be pulling any punches. Having said that however, my boat is pretty much problem free.
Man! I have to agree with the above poster. I honestly have had ZERO issues with my Hewescraft. I know....they're lousy boats compared to NR, but man. A simpler boat may actually have some advantages... I also agree with the comment about not trying to enflame anyone. Just seems like a real problem. Trust me, I would be just as concerned if It was my Hewes that leaked or had a faulty bilge. Maybe there are just alot of NR boats sold and the numbers just seem high...By the way, I use my boat ALOT!!
hot wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 06:36 AM   #42
Spindrifter
Ifish Nate

Um, I definately wouldn't consider Hewes a lousy boat compared to anything. I think they make a great boat and looked at them as a consideration also. I just lean toward a boat with a self bailing deck, hopefully Hewes will come out with one.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:32 AM   #43
backlash442
Ifish Nate

Spindrifter, have you ruled out a glass boat? Most of them do come with self bailing decks. Besides what's so good about a self bailing deck when it still gets water in the bilge? The reason I say this is because if it was designed right you should take very little water if any (even when rough) in your bilge. I know of some glass boats that have at least a one inch lip around the fish and motor box that prevents water from getting in. Even when you hose down tuna blood etc. water should still not get in the bilge imo.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:46 AM   #44
Spindrifter
Ifish Nate

I have a glass boat now, 21' Trophy w/outboard. I just liked the design of the North River. I've also looked at several glass boats including a larger newer Trophy. But there is alot of wasted space on the Trophys in my opinion and a serious lack of storage.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:53 AM   #45
Tanner
Sturgeon

Tacklebuster,
I was not trying to insult anyone. I just think it is wrong to spend that kind of money on something and have problems like the ones mentioned in some of the posts on the first page. And then for people to accept that it is normal and not a big deal just bugs me. We have been programmed to accept the fact that it can't be done right the first time. This does not apply just to North River but probably almost every manufacturer out there. I guess I just got lucky with my boat and being an open sled, there were a lot less issues to go wrong.

Again, I am not trying to offend anyone and I apologize if my posts were taken that way.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:07 AM   #46
Something Good
Sturgeon

Quote:

Man! I have to agree with the above poster. I honestly have had ZERO issues with my Hewescraft. I know....they're lousy boats compared to NR, but man. A simpler boat may actually have some advantages... I also agree with the comment about not trying to enflame anyone. Just seems like a real problem. Trust me, I would be just as concerned if It was my Hewes that leaked or had a faulty bilge. Maybe there are just alot of NR boats sold and the numbers just seem high...By the way, I use my boat ALOT!!
Wow! don't even get me started on my 2004 Searunner. Ordered from the factory new it would take me less time to tell you what was right on the boat than what was wrong when it showed up at the dealer. I really liked that boat too but for the first 3 or 4 months I owned it a trip to the salt meant another trip to the dealer to work the "bugs" out. Guess I'm just not lucky that way.
I still considered a Hewes when I was in the market for a bigger boat but the base price for what I wanted in a boat was less than $4K beetween the two. The NR seemed like a lot more boat for the money and came with a lot more goodies. They were also willing to do some custom work that Hewes would not do.

Spindrifter, the boat weighs in around 7000lbs full of fuel. Twin 150's and T-8 kicker. 8700lbs on the trailer with no gear.

Old 09-07-2006, 11:05 AM   #47
backlash442
Ifish Nate

Spindrifter, I hear you on the design. It is a nice looking boat. You looked at Boice? They have an OS version too. Might want to take a look at Parkers as well. Lots of room to fish that's for sure.

What ever you go with good luck. Just remember that chit happens and will have something fixed sooner or later. Nature of the beast.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:42 AM   #48
Bluto
Chromer

New boat issues are always a frustrating issue, especially given the $$$ involved. I've heard good things about NR stepping up and fixing issues. I do agree that if there are common problems, then they should be addressed in the design (regardless of Mfg).

As far as MM goes, really sorry to hear about bad experiences... I've owned two & my experience has been that they will bend over backwords to make things right, regardless of how big or small the issue is.

Enjoy your purchase - the OS looks like an awesome fishing machine.

Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 06:25 PM   #49
Tacklebuster
Sturgeon

Quote:
I just think it is wrong to spend that kind of money on something and have problems like the ones mentioned in some of the posts on the first page. And then for people to accept that it is normal and not a big deal just bugs me
Who the heck thinks it's right and who really thinks it just a normal thing and it doesn't bother anybody? You really think for a minute that we are A ok with it and it doesn't matter Whether we like it, dislike it, yell and scream, or try to take care of it in a more civil matter the end result is the same.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:43 PM   #50
Bait O Eggs
King Salmon

we all know i would never defend NR

but to compare the problems of an open sled w/ a tiller handle to a full cabin boat w/ doors, multiple windows, multiple steering stations, scupper decks, trim tabs ....etc.... is like comparing a wheel barrow to a pickup truck. the more sophisticated the boat, the more to go wrong upon delivery.

though there is always the occasional lemon from every manuf
Old 09-07-2006, 07:03 PM   #51
backlash442
Ifish Nate

Here's the link to the offshore bracket leaking if anyone is interested.

https://www.ifish.net/forum/showflat.php?...rue#Post1257990
Old 09-07-2006, 07:14 PM   #52
Something Good
Sturgeon

Backlash that is not the same boat as the OS.

Old 09-07-2006, 07:16 PM   #53
Tacklebuster
Sturgeon

If you have a bracket that is leaking water, 100 to 1 it's the screw in hatch. I went out and bought some garage door bottom and glue and actually made a seal to keep it from leaking. My hatch still leaks about a gallon or more water in a trip and I can't figure out where it's coming from. Not the bolt holes, not the hatch, and it will only leak when it's running This is a project for them after the season is up though.

You just can't compare issues with boats that pound in the ocean most it's life compared to one that takes wind chop from a local river. I use the hell out of my boat and take care of her just as hard as I use her. I have been working through things since the purchase of my boat. The good thing is the things get taken care of and the other bonus is the fact that you get to know your boat inside and out.

I know every nook and cranny in my boat and for us that spend the summer on the ocean chasing everything from sea bass to long fins, that alone is worth it's weight in gold.

Show me a boat that spends the summer in the brine without any issue and I'll be the first to buy the barley pop and hear the story.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:17 PM   #54
Tacklebuster
Sturgeon

It's not the same boat but I am pretty sure our brackets are the same as far the screw in hatch at the top.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:19 PM   #55
Something Good
Sturgeon

The boat pictured does not have a screw in hatch. Maybe some of them do though.

Old 09-07-2006, 08:19 PM   #56
tomictime
Sturgeon

while I do not own a Seahawk, I do have the Almar it is dervied from. Here are some observations from 11 years of hard use. (oh, and a bit of other boat ownership experience: Lyman, Steel Clipper, Whaler, Tiara, etc....

1.) Run them offshore in the salt and they will ALL break, "shakedown cruise", which I believe is a Naval term is aptly named..those just work out the initial bugs. IF you want more of an INDY fact based opinion on this, do a search on delivery skipper and see / read about very hi-end premium boats that need help in hour one. Boats with price tags that make the cost of a 24' OS look like a fuel fillup and lunch. And as far as inspecting quality in goes...pretty sure that war has been settled by Japan Inc.

2.) Pilar says "Know your skipper"..good advice, also know your boat! Look in the nooks and crannies and check stuff that you take for granted. I had a 17 Whaler with a simple looking plastic junction box near the transom - evil lived in the box in the form of a German made 50 A compact breaker..not something they stock in the marine store at Bamfield BC (ask me how I know this?)

3.) Do the maintenence, then do it again ! I tow on logging roads, they are ruthless. When we have a problem is the mantra, not IF

4.) Carry your own spares, I carry 3 spare racors, all the under cowl filters, enuf oil for 2 changes, plugs, spare prop attach H/W, gasket mtl, fuel lines, etc...all this ##$%#@!! of course adds to weight....so...

5.) ACTUALLY weigh your boat...just finished re-weighing mine in full "combat load-out", on the trlr wet she is 7720#
Insist on enough margin on the trailer, I think 15-20% is right, more and you transfer more road shock to the boat. Also, invest in Goodyear trailer tires, I have owned a LOT of other JUNK..nothing but heartache and wasted time

As to the big 30' Motion at Maquinna..not sure if Sam is a guide, he owns the resort...nice looking boat for sure..but in my mind "pretty is as pretty does"....The OS is dervied from a line of boats in commercial duty service in many places, including US Navy. Is it perfect? Nope. Maybe Sam will weigh in and we can learn about what he loves about his boat and what he would improve.

This exchange - well at least the more + aspects of it are WHY I play on ifish..think of the collective hours you have running the OS ? You know more than the factory at this point. Thats just COOL !

:smile:

Jim Davis
Old 09-07-2006, 10:06 PM   #57
backlash442
Ifish Nate

Something Good, I understand it's not the same boat but the offshore bracket is the same. The new 06 bracket design (05 had problems with some cracking) came right off the Almar according to one of their salesman that I had the opportunity to talk with. The only reason I even mentioned it was because an earlier poster had talked about water getting into the bracket. Light went off in my head and remembered the earlier thread about water in the bracket of the Seahawk.

Tacklebuster, in the couple of thousand hours I put on my old glass boat, other than mechanical issues here and there, I was never kept off the water due to a boat/hull type of problem. But is that what you are refering to?
Old 09-07-2006, 11:03 PM   #58
hot wire
Ifish Nate

hot wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 04:14 AM   #59
Tacklebuster
Sturgeon

My last post wasn't directed at you, just making it known you can't compare boat issues from boats sitting in lakes and rivers verses boats that pound in the ocean all summer long.

That's great you didn't have any hull issues from your last glass boat. The only issues I had "hull related" was the cracking going on the gussets and welds on my offshore bracket. I don't think they were from ocean use, just the fact of how the bracket was put on holding that much weight. There are thousands of boats out there set up the same that has had zero issues with the cracks so I guess I was just the unlucky one.

My point being is that I have had a few boats in my life and none of them was issue free. Boats are made by humans and have thousands of moving parts. Most of the stuff on the boat is not made by the boat manufacturer and really most of my issues have been with things not made by NR.

Take a boat, pound it in the ocean all summer long, and odds are you are going to have more issues and maintenance involved than the boat making weekend trips to the local lakes and rivers.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:43 AM   #60
Highmark
Ifish Nate

I guess I am lucky. The only leaks I have found so far. are
around the wires coming thru the trim tabs. they never
sealed them. and on the cover on the offshore bracket
I put a bead of rtv around it and pulled out all the screws
and resealed them, right off. that I learned from my last
boat. and it was a glass boat. nice boat. but this one is much better. this one is still new to me. and I have only about 300hrs on it, in the ocean. so it's not broke in yet.
time will tell,I would think. all boats will brake with
time. you just have to stay on top of them..