IFish Fishing Forum banner

Back to Pineville Res.

16K views 87 replies 19 participants last post by  rodholder1 
#1 ·
went to Powder House lunch. Hear a lot about Bear Creek so went up to see. got a lot of small bass but only one crappie. I'm guessing they were the one's hanging between 5' and 7' in the deeper water. Saw quite a few but no clue how to catch them. When I see them on the fish finder I'm not sure where they are, never been able to get them unless it was a school under the boat. Didn't see any schools today. The one crappie I did get was 10 1/2". That's encouraging. Think I'll wait for more water and get the brush under it.. I can get then there.

#2 ·
Don, the fish are at the opposite end of Prineville in heavy numbers. Yes, try other spots but many people have been reporting success at Jasper Point and above. You know how to catch them now go where they are at in numbers. Quit farting around and start whacking and stacking.

#8 ·
I fished Powderhouse yesterday morning with the pontoon and fly rod. No crappie, though a few bit and spit in some mid-depth water below the access road. The bass were fairly active, and took top water offerings, though they were all pretty small. Took one nice hard fighting rainbow at the rocks by the dam. I saw one bank fisherman near the dam with some trout, some others on the other side of the ramp with nothing.

#10 · (Edited)
Went back to the Res with my son today, Thursday. My favorite put in spot, Jasper park. Went up in the no wake zone. Putted along at an idle till I found fish on the finder and put out two anchors, pretty windy. We got 57 crappie. Smallest was 8 1/2" biggest was 13". most were between 9 1/2 and 10 1/2". Also got one bass about 10". Nowhere near to number of bass I ran into near the Dam. Lot of fish with egg's in them! Son had a blast. He used to fish for crappie in a small lake when he lived in Newport but caught more today than he ever did in Newport. Used different colors, skirt's, auger tail paddle tail pretty much tried most everything. most important was put bait in the water! Haven't found them to particular but my favorite color, chartreuse auger tail I get the least with! My son use one gold jig with a skirt and did really well. I tried crappie nibble's on an orange jig and got them but no clue if the nibble's helped or not and I got them on a plain orange jig also. Stayed in water about 15' max and 20' to 30' from shore and cast in and pulled out. also did well casting along the shore. Great day! Did lose a lot of fish with the hook in the lip. Pretty good idea we'd lose them when we got them close and could see the jig in a lip. Netted most the fish, got some of those lip hooked one's with the net. Put in a little after 3pm and back at the dock about 6:30pm

#12 ·
I'd heard last year that we needed to get a bunch out. and now I keep everything about 8" and up. Last fall I was getting a number of 10" fish, boy were they a lot nicer than the small one's. I read they catch in some other states about the size they catch is some of the southern state's on a crappie site I'm on. Makes me want to go south. One thing about down there is number of places have length limits. But I'm guessing they don't have the number's we have here. Probably our's are over crowded.

#25 ·
Bingo! And they hadn’t spawned yet? Not good. If they spawn now and water goes down as expected, no fry. 312, but who’s counting after 100. An amazing year at Pineville or Prineville Reservoir. Next year should be even better. Larger but fewer fish. It won’t last forever. Better get them now and take some pictures with the kids. In a few years there will be a bazillion 4 inchers or a few rare 14 inchers. So go reservoir crappies. Water levels are critical.

#30 ·
Lots of fish at top end of reservoir. Problem is the traffic. It was a zoo today. Cannot even imagine what weekend will look like. Long line to takeout at Powderhouse. Still plenty of water at launch. Trout are chunky and feisty. Boats zooming by are frustrating. Go very early or very late if you must go this weekend.

#39 ·
I have an idea it's the heat and sun. Went out yesterday and got two crappie and one 12" bass. got the first crappie about 5pm bass and one more crappie about 45min later and off the water at 6pm. Saw fish all over on my fish finder. Next trip I'll leave home about 3:30 and should be on the water by about 5:30. See if that helps.

#40 ·
Fished for crappie Wednesday and Thursday this week. Launched at the state park and went a couple miles toward the dam. Saw a lot of fish on the fish finder in several spots but they wouldn't bite jigging so we did a slow troll. Caught about 25 each day in 2-3 hours using mainly red and chartreuse jigs. We did catch about a dozen small mouth on the jigs also. The crappie and most of the bass were around 11". We were fishing in full sun on 2 hot days!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.