IFish Fishing Forum banner

requesting advice for Dudiak fishing hole

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  RiverRogue 
#1 Ā·
I have a friend who is going up to Homer Alaska, staying down on the Homer peninsula. He wants to fish "Nick Dudiak fishing hole" for Salmon.
What are some of preferred tactics and methods used to fish that location.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You, T F

#2 Ā·
I swung by there once for a couple hours while some coho I caught were being processed and frozen. Not my thing. The fish swim around in a circle in a tight pod (super spooked/stressed) and the locals wait until they are near and then hurl trebles wrapped with lead at them and try to snag them. The only fish I saw caught were snagged. We were catching double digit ocean fresh coho every morning on some rivers 20-30 minutes from Homer so I didn't go back.

#3 Ā· (Edited)
Number 5 vibrax spinners have worked for me for Chinook. The best thing you can do if youā€™ve never fished there is to go across the street to the bait and tackle store and theyā€™ll gladly sell you whatā€™s working. Also, itā€™s all about the tides. Get there on the incoming.

#5 Ā·
Modest Man is exactly right about the Dudiak Hole. My friends and I had a couple of beers at the world famous Salty Dog and drove by the Dudiak Hole. We saw 25-30 people there trying to snag a coho. Thats not fishing, snagging yes. We drove to the end of the spit and there was a older guy sitting on a bucket, casting out into the water there. We talked to him and he said he is retired living in Homer. He comes down to the end of the spit a couple of times a week to catch fresh Halibut, Lingcod, sea bass. About that time, he gets a bite, lands a 8 pound halibut. He said most of the halibut there are this size. Great, I would take that anytime. He said they are usually there most of the time. Now, thats fishing...........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.