IFish Fishing Forum banner

Dick's destroys guns?

24K views 62 replies 34 participants last post by  FishOnShawn 
#1 ·
Was reading through the yahoo news, for what it's worth.
Saw an article about Dick's sporting goods destroying $5 million worth of assault style rifles. :doh:
Anyone else see the article.
Or is it just a farce like so many other news agencies?
Heck I woulda taken a few off their hands for free,if they were gonna throw em away. :excited:

#4 ·
There are more than enough news sources reporting the statement from Dick's CEO that they have destroyed 5 million dollars worth of "assault weapons". He apparently made the statement on CBS news if anybody wants to dig up the interview.

#5 ·
Destroying 5 million dollars worth of Assault Rifles? Hahaha. That's more fake news. Heres how the big retailers really do business. Same kind of a thing. (Vaping Issues) I saw on the National and Local news that Kroger's,Walmart and a couple of other big retailers were going to quit selling Vaping products. BUT only after they sell out their stock on hand.:doh: ***. Now as Paul Harvey would say "Now you know the rest of the story". What a bunch of pathetic BS. I don't feel sorry for people that are not smart enough to not use these products. However when big business puts profits over anyone's health and well being that's a huge Issue. Kinda shows how some things in the real world operate. And if you think it doesn't well,you might want to rethink a few things.:flag2:

#6 ·
Not much different than some of Nike’s ads. I’m sure they are just figuring it’s advertising.

I can’t say I found Dick’s to be very good, so I’ll continue to not shop there.

#10 ·
I used to shop at Dick's a lot and used their rewards program. They had some good deals on lower end fishing gear, kayaks, bicycles and golf equipment. They never had any good deals on ammo or guns that I ever saw.

It probably would have been a better business decision to silently drop the firearms sales, but this CEO seems determined on making a statement.

#21 ·
Haven't shopped there since it was guy joes.
And didn't really like em then, because they ran Stouts gi surplus and sporting goods out of business, in Salem.
Think Anderson's big store went down shortly after.
I'll just go to the warehouse until they do something stupid too.

#22 ·
Interesting you don't see any pictures of them using cutting torches to destroy them. I wonder if benchmade helped them? The only thing I ever bought from them was Rays Bait eggs but they don't have stock on them much anymore and I can't get ahold of the manufacture so no reason to ever go back.

#29 ·
Do people that consider themselves outdoor enthusiast even consider Dicks a viable/legit outdoor store? It’s their property and they can do whatever they want with it. I’m not into AR’s but I own several guns. I can’t phathom seeking
Out dicks for a firearm purchase, let alone an AR.

Now they do have decent deals on golf stuff on occasion, that’s the only reason I have ever gone in there.

#33 ·
A South Carolina Ford dealership says every customer will be gifted a free Bible, American flag and a $400 voucher for a Smith & Wesson AR-15-style rifle. If the consumer chooses not to accept the voucher to purchase a gun, the amount of money will be deducted from the price of their new vehicle.

#36 ·
Another headline: "The CEO of Dick's Sporting Goods told CBS News this weekend that his decisions to stop selling certain guns and hire lobbyists to push for new gun bans have cost his company roughly $250 million."

CEOs are supposed to increase shareholder value, not tank it. And now he's using company money lobbying for gun control. :doh:

#39 ·
Another guy who misses GI Joes. If recollection serves me, they were the ones to get sued in "Fazalori" the OR S Ct. case where J. Hans Linde wrote the opinion applying a super broad test in negligence cases. Something to the effect if you don't lock up and guard your'e guns well enough, you can get sued when a gun is stolen and used to kill a 3d party.Given that case and others like it along with some of the law suits we are seeing vs drug makers, I think some of these businesses might doing this for more than PR reasons. :twocents:

#40 ·
Maybe all true. But bankrupting your investors, isn't gonna stop the druggies and other miscreants from getting firearms, one way or the other. Legally or not. Usually not. I imagine. :doh:
Never heard about the suit against Guy joes. But don't miss them either. And won't miss Dick's sports either.
Just had a good talk with Sportsman's today, and that's where I'll do business for a while in the Salem area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.