IFish Fishing Forum banner

Go fishing

5K views 25 replies 19 participants last post by  I'd rather fish 
#1 Ā·
#3 Ā·
Bill, don't you think articles like this only contribute to people's argument that they can freely leave their homes any time they want and go fishing...clearly ignoring requests to stay home, for the health and safety of all?

I suspect Oregon will close down all fishing very soon, thanks to people's disrespect of government's requests and the health and safety of the greater population.

#8 Ā·
You can leave your home anytime you want and go fishing, in Oregon, as of now. So no, I donā€™t think it contributes to anybodyā€™s argument because they donā€™t need one. Leaving your house right now is not illegal. You want to go for a drive, do it, totally legal. Feel like moving homes? Leaving the state? Going for a hike? Legal. Period. Fishing included. Social distancing habits apply to all though, not just fishing.

Unless you are under a state mandated quarantine because you have tested positive, then yes, by law you can be restricted somewhere.

Your statement is actually somewhat accurate, it is a State request, not a directive, to stay home, thus no requirement to do so. There is little to no danger in spreading the virus when going fishing if standard ā€œsocial distancingā€ and hygiene principles are applied, thus there would be no reason to suddenly close fishing down, even if there are 1000 people fishing the Willamette. The reason the order was enacted wasnā€™t because droves of people went to the beach, it was because those droves of people were not able to practice good social distancing habits. If fisherman can show they are making appropriate decisions (fishing solo, not sitting next to others on the bank, not having what would appear to be a boatload of likely non-household members) then fishing SHOULD remain open. If not, then yes, it can and/or should be closed. But until then, it is not illegal and many could even make the argument it is actually healthy to go fishing.

But hey, if you want to think you must remain in your house at all times, please do so, nothing prevents you from doing so. It leaves more room on the water for us that want to fish.

A final question, if fisherman werenā€™t allowed to leave their home freely and go fishing whenever they want because of the order, can you explain why both ODFW and OSP acknowledge you can and it is legal to do so?

#6 Ā·
#9 Ā·
I see it less of a question of "can I?", and more of a question of "should I?" in this situation. Yes, you can go fishing. But should you?

I'm not challenging or questioning the legality of it. I am questioning, however, the choices people make...

Taking a couple of weeks of fishing to help in the effort to limit the spread of this virus, is the right thing to do as I see it.

#15 Ā·
What he said. We have been asked to stay in unless absolutely necessary. Skipping a couple (a few?) springer trips when there are very few fish around for the sake of local humanity seems like a no brainer. Chill for a few days. My tackle has NEVER been this organized. I'm chomping at the bit myself. I may change my tune in a couple weeks but for now I'm in a holding pattern.

I suppose if you fished ONLY with people you live with. You didn't stop while traveling either way. No gas stop, no snacks, bait or food stops. You bring your own pen to fill out your parking permit. You didn't have to run to Fisherman's for new line or tackle. I guess you aren't hurting anyone.

#24 Ā·
As some others on this thread have stated, this is it. The virus transfers by touch and being in proximity to others. From the World Health Org: It is not certain how long the virus that causes COVID-19 survives on surfaces, but it seems to behave like other coronaviruses. Studies suggest that coronaviruses (including preliminary information on the COVID-19 virus) may persist on surfaces for a few hours or up to several days. This may vary under different conditions (e.g. type of surface, temperature or humidity of the environment)..

So if infected someone en route to their favorite fishing grounds throughout a day could leave a trail (gas stations pump handles, grocery store snacks, etc.) that could end up KILLING or seriously HARMING A LOT OF PEOPLE. People moving out of urban areas to recreate will only make it much much worse and the rural areas do not have the medical facilities, medical staff, or resources to deal with a mass infection.

WA took this into consideration when shutting down. Fishing, clamming, and other outdoor activities the same. You can be infected and not know for multiple days.

Staying home, and not traveling will ensure more people aren't exposed, and we get through this faster.

#12 Ā·
From the OSMB Bill:

We believe that EO20-12 effectively limits this type of operation in many circumstances. Here is a summary of our review, plus pertinent parts of the executive order. Note that this is not a legal interpretation and is based only on our review of EO20-12. Business owners will need to make their own decision on how to comply with Governor Brown's order. Here's a link to all COVID19-related executive orders.

Summary:

Paragraph 1A immediately prohibits non-essential social gatherings outside of a home if distances of six feet between individual cannot be maintained ā€“ difficult or impossible to implement in the operation of most of Oregon's six-pack guide boat operations and probably most charters.

Paragraph 10 states when telework and work-from-home options are not available, businesses must designate an employee or officer to establish, implement, and enforce social distancing policies. These policies must address how the business will maintain social distancing protocols for business-critical visitors. Be prepared to present your policy and policy enforcer to law enforcement upon request.

Paragraph 18 states that all public and private campgrounds are to be closed immediately, further restricting the ability for the public in general to launch boats on the water. Be aware that you are encouraging more people to use stressed facilities such as public restrooms, if they are even available.

Paragraph 22 specifically directs individuals to minimize travel except for essential travel. While ā€œworkplace" is considered within ā€œessential travel," and guides and charter operators work from their boats, travel by your clients would not be considered essential.

Given this review, we believe that it would be difficult for most if not all guide or charter operations to operate with the public aboard under this executive order. Just as we do not distribute legal advice, we caution you against making legal decisions for or giving legal advice to your clients. During this time of "Stay Home, Save Lives," please be prudent and cautious. Keep yourself and your clients safe.

#13 Ā·
I went fishing today and I didnt see another soul... until I pulled up to the take out and there was a group of 5 sitting around a bon fire. :palm: I did my first shake down run on me local river. Did some scouting for turkeys, did some fishing, and enjoyed being on the water. :excited: I hope they dont close fishing. I hope people can find a way to comply with the new rules. Unfortunately, people seem to need to be given strick laws and potential fines to comply. Otherwise, they take a strong suggestion as empty words. I have liked how our governator has given us a chance to show we can listen, before being grounded. Much like in kindergarten, the few mess it up for the rest. :whistle:

#16 Ā· (Edited)
Your last paragraph sums it up perfectly wreckless...

that is following the rules and should make you exempt from being part of the problem. 6' is 6'

Much more so than the max riders and or trimet riders who are in a closed environment and passing by at 3' of each other or less....

#18 Ā· (Edited)
I went bank fishing alone yesterday, came into contact with no one. Water sucked by the way, so no urgency to get back. Saw a few fishing "bros" who should have stood a bit farther apart, but bros like to stand next to each other. Image more than safety, they rode down in the same car.

Here is what will get this all shut down. That little, stocked pond just before Gales creek was packed with trout fisherman, jammed together, visible to god and country.... and all for a crappy stocked fish. Those optics will get us closed. What is about to go down on the Willamette will get us closed. I saw cars parked on the gravel bar at Mills, they must have moved the blockade and then put it back. I very much suspect that Tillamook Law Enforcement has relaxed a bit after kicking out the spring breakers. They will let things slide with locals and I don't blame them. Saw a few boats who realize there are private places to put in and take out.

I am not alone in knowing that it's very safe to me and others to go bank fishing for steelhead. The shad guys will still look for cars parked and come down on you but in these times I will not be holding my tongue about it, not this time.

It's all wishful thinking going forward, I am pretty sure this is all going to get shut down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.