IFish Fishing Forum banner

Trailer Axle Rating

60K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  fishkisser 
#1 ·
Hi Guys ... Does anyone know if there is a way to check what your axle on your boat trailer is rated to carry ...
Thanks for your :help:
Barney

#5 · (Edited)
The reason I'm asking is I finally weighed my boat today at the scale .
Hooked to the truck the load at the single trailer axle is 3200 lbs .
Its a Carnai Lazer trailer ... close as I can figure its a 1820 with a payload rating of 2900 ...
with ST215 / 75D 14C tires with a rated payload of 3740
Do manufacturers really lowball this stuff in like that , oh yea 5 lugs on the hubs if that counts for anything

#7 ·
Do manufacturers really lowball this stuff in like that.....
A lot of it is hitting a certain price point. Adding a couple grand extra for a trailer that is properly sized can mean you might loose a sale to a competitor. Most folks dont even give the trailer a second thought. :hoboy: Of course you can always rely on that "safety factor". :laugh: I wonder if the safety factor is the same for an ezloader vs a tricker.......:whistle:

#6 · (Edited)
Sounds like the axle is 3500#

The biggest killer of tires is heat. Watch the weather, tire inflation, road surface and speed and you will get to your planned destination.

Every thing engineered has a certain facotr of safety built in. Are the springs bottomed out?

Here's a tire that will give 3740# rated capacity.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compare1.jsp?width=215%2F&ratio=75&diameter=14&startIndex=0&search=true&pagelen=20&pagenum=1&pagemark=1&x=85&y=14&RunFlat=All

Ew, read the reviews on this tire, not good.

#9 · (Edited)
measure the spindle diameter. the bearings size is all different on the various axle rating... lug count doesnt mean anythinng since you can get 5 lug and 6 lug on 3500, 5000, and 6000 lb axles. 4 and 5 lug on 2000 and 3500 lb... the size difference in rating comesdown to the tube diameter and spindle size... and an 1820 carnai has a 4000 lb axle under it.. fyi...

#10 ·
Sorry jack wrong again ... my trailer has an axle rating of 3750 this information is from .Michelle Dorgan
Carnai Trailers, Inc.
19103 E. Cataldo
Spokane Valley WA 99016
Later ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.