Thread: San Juan info
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2019, 10:14 PM   #10
jlg
Tuna!

Default Re: San Juan info

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendavis View Post
Ive spent a bunch of time up there with my boat and grew going to the islands and gunkholing around in friends boats. We camp every year on Lopez (the best and mellowest island IMO) at spencer spit state park which is a great campground. Its part of spencer spit which is possibly the highest quality anchorage in the islands (huge sandy shelf, protected from wind, easy public beach for launching and storing your tender). I launch from Washington park west of the ferry landing in anacortis and drive the boat over, store the trailer at the park, and the wife and kids drive the van to ferry over with the gear. The crab pots are in before the ferry lands at at Lopez. other places to stay with free anchorage: moran state park on Lopez, Shaw county park Shaw island. Tons of houses to rent on all of the islands. San juan island is busy and the towns are crowded. Orcas is pretty busy but has lots to see and do including nice freshwater lakes with epic rope swings. you can't go wrong with any boat adventure there! go fish the west coast of san juan and you'll see the orcas. cruise through wasp passage, past Speiden island with its weird african ungulates left over from some previous weird owner to go to Stuart island for a visit to the lighthouse and one room school house. cruise the west coast of orcas and explore sucia state park, a paradise like island. Check out Johns sporting goods "salt water journal" for excellent fishing and rigging maps. don't forget to rig up for pink salmon because they should be there. its a great place.
Interestingly, that weird prior owner who put African game on the island was named John Wayne.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
jlg is online now   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 1.19135 seconds with 20 queries