IFish Fishing Forum banner

Shogun Trip 2019, super cow BFTs, lots of YFT, big grumpy yellowtail, epic trip

4K views 26 replies 20 participants last post by  ron m 
#1 · (Edited)
Our gang of usual suspects went on our annual fall trip on the Shogun. This year it was a 7 day trip with limited load of 21 anglers on a VERY spacious boat. Widest stern in the fleet.

Captain Paul was driving and I heard a lot of good about him so I was excited to see him work.

Marty, Punzel, Dakota, Mark J, Loren, myself, "My Indian" Gary, my buddy Terry L from Prineville and friend Warren from Dallas, part of our PC friend group.

This was a Rice Bowl Charter again for the second year. Kevin and Sophia are chart masters and a blast to fish with. Sophia is a silent smiling assassin that quietly keeps killing fish with a smile on her face.

The local BFT and YFT had been popping and the boat wanted to make a trip to Guadalupe. So we decided to fish 2 days local and target the better grade BFT that had been available. Then 2 1/2 days at Guadalupe.

We woke up fist day to biting fish that stayed pretty consistent bite. We moved I think twice. The afternoon bite was chugging along with more YFT then BFT so Paul said lets try to find something better while we have time. Great move.

We set up on a great school of BFT that were coming over the rail at 50 lbs very steady

Me and Carl with a typical unit.

Warren with his first. I think he was excited. I think that was the biggest fish he had ever caught, but that wouldnt last.

The kite went up. Worked through a few BFT about the same grade as the guy in front of me on rotation was up a huge fish crashed on the frozen flyer and the whole crew was excited.

Ken had a beast to the boat before they opened the gate and let this cow on deck.

Ken is a phenominal fisherman and this was his personal best Blue fin. I think he said he had "a few cows" from last years trip. Some fly lining sardines on an HX raptor and 60# flouro. This dude is seriously talented.

About the time I clicked that pic Paul yelled "#8 you're up" "Its another big one" Hey! #8 is me.

He handed me down the rod and I started walking and winding my way to the bow where I would pretty much stay for the next hour and a half with deckhand Dave.

They put the kite back up and Marty was #9. He is bit and fighting his big BFT in the stern.

Apparently there was a wide open sundowner bite on BFT. Deck hands would run up to the bow and say "there's 6 hanging" Then come back and say "theres 9 hanging".

I was amazed how this fish just kept a steady pace for so long pulling 130# spectra off the reel until the wide spool 30 wide was down to about 1/4. It finally stopped and we started to long process of putting line back on the reel. As we started gaining line he took us around the boat one time then pretty much slugged it out to the end on the bow.

Marty was still on his fish when we went on our tour. But by the time mine came to gaff, it was dark and the weather had come up a bit. When they opened the gate to bring her in with 4 gaffs a foot of water flooded in ahead of her.

No way to stand them up they were sliding all over the deck as it was. The crew did their best to tape them. What they came up with using the 800 formula was 288 for Ken, 248 for me, and 230 for Marty. But conditions sucked. So we put those away and had dinner. Pretty epic first day. 97 fish caught. 32 BFT. 3 cows. And to cap it off Marty caught a 105# BFT on a flat fall just after dark.

Day two, same program, same area, similar results. No cows but decent quality 55 YFT and 48 BFT.

Everyone was pretty happy with the start to our trip but there is always excitement about Guadalupe. The reports on big yellowtail were good. There was rumors of a few bigger model YFT hanging around. We steamed the next day and got there late afternoon and caught 14 decent YT.

The crew and a few anglers collected a good tank of macks, mostly scads. We started fishing on anchor. Scratched up a few of each YFT and YT. Then went on the hunt.

Move, follow porpoise (the Guadalupe black ones) ping them on the sonar. Chum, boil, hook 2-3, repeat. These were bigger models. Many over 100 lbs. But skittish and once youd changed your slide bait it was pretty well over. We chased them most the day then anchored up on some good YT fishing. 18 YFT and 7 YT.

As we were setting up on a spot 4 guys dropped yoyo iron and all got bit at about the same time. Ryan, Connor (Crew) Marty, Ken.

Me and Sophia

Fred and Gary with the typical mix from the Lupe.

Terry with a 119 lb fly lined fish.

Warren with his largest fish of his life. 130 lb YFT kite fish.

My personal best Yellow Tail 42 lbs

Next day same drill but the tuna were harder to find so we spent a bit more time on YT. I caught my personal best 42 pounder. Dave hooked and handed Warren a beast of a 51 pounder on yoyo iron.

As we began our crossing back lots of guys said they had more tuna than they needed and would gladly give some to other passengers. I dont think anyone on board took any. We all had lots of fish.

Taxman claimed a couple YT. Saw him swim under the port corner. About 14' long GWS

286 fish total for 21 anglers. Pretty epic trip.

More next page

See less See more
#2 ·
The offload.

At first Paul said we wouldnt be taking the cows up to get weighed. But Ken was taking all his fish up on the pier. They got the scale out and it came to 271. With the add back for dressing that made his fish 303 lbs

A super cow!!

Congrats Ken, Captain Paul and Captain Rene jumped in for some glory.

So we started wondering if the formula was that far off on Kens fish, why not weigh Marty and mines?

Mine went up, and the scale registered the same weight exactly as Ken's!

Another Super Cow!

I think Sophia was more excited than me!

Martys came out around 250. Which is still a fish of a lifetime. But I didnt get any other good pics of it sorry to say.

#3 ·
There was a guy there doing Gyotaku prints.

He prints them then hand brush paints them. Super lifelike. A really cool memory of your fish. I had to get one.

The actual print of my fish.

What it will look like when done

#11 ·
Incredible! Looks like a blast!

The fact that you don't have any pictures of the delicious dinners I'm sure you guys had is testament to the quality of fishing!

Thanks for sharing!

Chass

#12 ·
Lol. I thought about that. There are no “make your own sandwich bars” on the Shogun. Shawn is amazing. He and Rowland worked the whole time. Fresh baked bread every day. We had roast duck, lamb chops, prime rib. Not just food but meals plated and served.

Nice staterooms. 3 showers. Everyone can sit and eat or watch a movie in the galley at the same time.

It’s not luxurious. But it’s not, not luxurious.

#19 ·
Got to know your captain Paul when he was a deckhand on the Royal Star for several years and then got his captain license and began running trips with Tim, Randy and Brian on that boat. Happy for his success on the Shogun. The San Diego long range boats really know how to catch fish.
Flatocean
boat Nancy J

#23 · (Edited)
I had to post this pic because it kind of sums up the trip. Good times, good fishing, big smiles, great people.

Sophia is one of the Charter Masters from Rice Bowl. Not only is she bubbly and happy and an excellent angler. She is always trying to help others.

Its our third year fishing with the Shogun crew. Captain Paul is new to me as is tall deckhand Dave. Paul is naturally fishy. Id book with him anytime.

But in the pic left to right are Tyler (who has become quite the ambassador for Shogun), Connor (quiet and polite and always there when needed), Sophia and Dave. Not shown is Carl who I watched walking around the rail keeping lines straight our first year and he has always been solid and very talented. Even Shawn from the galley ran out and kept lines straight and I think gaffed a fish or two. He hooked and handed some too.

We are already re-booked for next year's 9 day.

I also wanted to mention that Mr Marty is the guy that got me going on my first Royal Polaris trip to Guadalupe. So when we both had cows on this trip it was exceptionally cool. He was on fire this trip. I think he hooked and landed or handed 22 fish. All varieties. Never had an off day. Great mentor and friend. Thanks Marty.

And my buddy Terry got to go on this trip. Over ten years ago he and I took our wives to Costa Rica and fished a ton. We talked about doing the long range thing. I started with Marty's help and Terry just had too much going on. Now he's hooked deep and said the same thing I said..."I'm gonna do this every year as long as I can afford to and have my health".

#26 ·
Hey thanks Pharmy

I feel like the super was earned by the boat. I just turned the handle. Definitely cool to see and be part of

You did a great job on those bigger models by jigging them up. I definitely saw that work on our trip. Seemed like the jig fish down 150’ were bigger.

Now starts a year of planning and scheming and dreaming.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.