IFish Fishing Forum banner

Boat Deals Coming Up

6K views 74 replies 39 participants last post by  2slow 
#1 ·
With the economy tanking and unemployment numbers likely to hit astronomical highs the toys will be hitting the market soon. If your thinking about a boat and have the cash this could be the best buyers market in history.

#50 ·
In the world of professional negotiations the rule or guide is a good negotiation is where both parties walk away feeling it was fair.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

#51 ·
Once I knew a master dealer who had a slimy rep but when he did a deal with someone that person would walk away knowing he got skinned but somehow he was satisfied with it.

My experience with all the above posters' hopes of getting smoking deals off other people's misfortunes is that most who have to sell toys owe more on them than street value when the mkt goes soft.

Guys who own their toys rarely give them away because they arent debt laden.

In the usa nowadays, owning means you have the keys and not a clear title in your safe.

#59 ·
There are definitely still some people out there looking to take advantage of people. I listed my 2016 Alumaweld Columbia for sale, absolutely loaded, its allot of boat and will take a special buyer in my mind. I wanted to sell it because the river fishing for me has really died the last 3 years and the boat just sits in a storage shed getting used maybe 10 days a year. Since springers and winter steel has declined on the lower CR and tribes it just sits so i thought why not try to sell. Boat i think went for around 115k or more in 2016, 185 hours on main motor...loaded ...I asked 70 k, and I would negotiate some. I had a couple of tire kickers but 1 guy called and seemed sincerely interested since he said he was going to order a brand new one until he saw mine. Sent pics, fielded many calls, never really said anything about price but wanted to come see it. Set up a time and he came down, pulled it out of storage, he went over it front to back, I even installed the full top for him then he asked to test run...I said no problem since he seemed extremely excited and serious. Hauled it to ilwaco and ran out in the Cr for about a 1 hour round trip maybe. Was back at the dock and he said ...ok I have done the math and figure you cant owe more than maybe 40k and thats what I am looking to spend and all I have (how were you going to buy a new one)...I thought he was joking and I laughed. I said well thats not going to cut it the boat is worth allot more and I have the tile in my safe. He basically called me a liar saying no way could I have paid this boat off already (I paid cash for it when I bought it) and tried to bully me into selling...That went south really quick and he was told to get off my boat (not nicely at all trust me).. I literally thought I had been set up by a buddy thats how crazy it was.... but there are those guys out there for sure.... I would cash that boat in for scrap before I would sell to a bottom feeding leach like that...

#66 ·
What price is fair in a deal is the real question, market value, trending value, or off the cuff value are some that come to mind. However the real value is none of those in a deal. The fair trade value always comes down what the two in the deal find fair and are willing to finalize on. Case in point I sold a boat in 2015 and the buyer went to finance the boat with his big bank. They decided my price was too high according to blue book. The buyer then went to a local Vancouver area bank and got the loan. I later went in with the buyer to bank to finalize the sale and talked the loan officer who was in fact a fisherman. He told us my selling price for the NW was a great deal and had no problem with loaning on the boat. This was one of those yes, maybe not, to finally oh yes I'm buying deals. The buyer felt he was getting a good deal based on his research until the first bank officer in the midwest influenced the deal. But the buyer did further work and was influenced the other direction back to where he really wanted the boat. We, meaning the buyer, seller and banker all were satisfied with the deal.

#67 ·
Similar story when I bought my Hewes. I needed a loan on it for a year, and first lender wouldn’t loan anywhere near what market value on the boat was. For reference, this was a 2003 Sportsman 180 with 130 hours. They valued the boat and trailer under $7K...

Second lender just asked for an appraisal that they could use to justify the amount. Done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#69 ·
And the tide is receding. I have been watching the SW Washington housing market since last summer. We have the down pop and can make the payments but the price of houses these days is ridiculous. Low interest will make buying possible but the over extended who can't make the payment won't benefit from a 0% interest rate. I'm seeing a lot of pre-foreclosure sales already.

#72 ·
Yup, they are. They are starting to call too, a lot. Before they were “wasting time” and “chasing their tail” when we wouldn’t buy on the spot.

Deals are coming, if you’re patient.

Owl

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.