IFish Fishing Forum banner

Lets talk about salmon nets

54K views 46 replies 24 participants last post by  jcarufo 
#1 · (Edited)
There are lots of salmon nets on the market in all shapes, sizes and materials. Geek out with me on salmon nets and help me understand what is a decent net vs a good net?

I currently have a cheap net that must be harsh on the fish, and is a magnet for hooks and lead. I mainly fish springers in the Portland area, some URB, and B10 but see myself doing lots more salmon fishing in my future. I tend to fish solo lots or with a novice crew so if there is such a thing as a forgiving net, that would be nice.

Frabil, Beckman, Promar, are ones I see most often here on ifish. It seems some even mix and match the components of each.

What makes a good net. What features do you like? Net shape, coated or not, net webbing size, hoop size, hoop shape, handle length, collapsible or fixed handle? Do you do any mods to make it better? How do you store it in your sled to protect your investment?

School me on nets please.

#3 ·
6' handle for sleds. Reach is a good thing when you have 7' leaders

Extend handle when you buy it. Bolt or tape it into place.

I am very fond of Beckman product. They went broke, and now someone bought the name and is making them again. But they look different from what I have. Can't say how they are better or worse than the original. Time will tell.

The one we has the big hoop with deep mesh bag. It's great for getting fish into. If you have a fish you are gonna release, I try not to net them. The deep mesh bag is a pita to get fish out of......not best case for those to be released. There is a technique to netting fish with it that you are gonna let go.......don't let go of bag with your left hand (Assuming your right handed and dominant hand is on grip). Makes the bag much shallower, and much easier to get nates out of the bag.

Some folks will argue original mesh or fine mesh. Both have upsides and downsides.

#5 ·
If you like your net's shape and size, keep it and just replace the bag. There is a seller on that 'old auction site' that sells ProMar bags at a really fare price. The 28"-30" 'hook resist' (steelhead size) is $22.99 and the 37"-40" 'hook resist' (big Salmon/Halibut size) is $25.99. They also sell the 'Dura Soft' (uncoated) style bag, but they aren't as durable. The 'Hook Resist' is a coated, small mesh style with flat bottom that we find really nice and will probably last forever. So, if the mechanics of your net are fine and you like the shape and style...save yourself some money. It's an easy 10 minute job to do.
Just a thought. jc

#6 ·
:applause:

I have both styles of ProMar bag... HookResist and the DuraSoft. DuraSoft is considerably lighter in the hand.

Here's a pic of relative mesh size between the two...

The bags come in two salmon sizes... large (501) and magnum (500)

The large bag is 30 inches deep at the sides and comfortably accommodates fish up to 20 pounds. The magnum bag has 36 inch sides and can hold any salmon you are likely to catch. My boat has 30 inch sides so the smaller bag is ideal for releasing fish 20# or less. They lay perfectly flat on the surface submerged in a few inches of water while I'm dealing with them. The bigger bag obviously works better for bigger fish.

#7 ·
If you like your net, and all it needs is a bag, then go that route. At this time (IMO) there is not clear cut superior product on the market.

For clarity, if you are gonna use the hold the bag technique for releasing fish, it's a rodeo. The fish is about to fall out of the net about half the time. You need a catcher with needle nose/dehooker ready, watch out for hooks. Even then, you have a live king in a small area. Think about branding cattle in a boat. About the same amount of adventure.

It's still better than a to be released fish and dig it out of the bag in the bottom of the boat routine.

If I am fishing on little fish (Silvers in the ocean in particular) I zip tie the bottom of the bag shut. That way you scoop and flop.

#8 ·
For you lucky dudes with old school Beckman frames, the ProMar 500 bag fits the biggest magnum Beckman hoop (I think they were called the Columbian) and the 501 bag fits the next size down (what most guys are carrying for a salmon net)

Here's the 501 in action:

And the magnum 500 as well:

#9 ·
A canon ball lead won't go through the small mesh bags.

I've had my Beckman nets a few years, since before all the specialty bags came out. I was tired of hooks getting caught in the mesh so treated my own bags by soaking them in Polyurethane to bind the fibers which prevented hooks from going through the material. Has worked flawlessly. Nets don't get slimy and stinky either because the net is slick and doesn't take the slime off the fish. Fish teeth don't get stuck either.

#11 ·
Talk to me about frames for a minute. What makes a good frame?

The one I have was pretty inexpensive so I worry about the components. It collapses for storage, the bag itself is big gage holes that I am sure is harsh on fish and catches plugs, weights and hooks. Notice the sexy zip ties to fix the holes and to keep it attached to the frame. I might just switch out the bag to one of the bags mentioned in a prior response but I am not sure if its worth it.

The hoop is 25" wide x 32" long and the handle is 4ft that when extended is 6.6ft including the hoop. It makes for hard netting when I need to high stick while doing the the thrust solo.

So when folks are talking handle length, is that just the handle or the total length of the net? The frame seems sturdy but the hoops seems narrow especially given I need would rather have a bigger target and longer reach to haul it in.

Thoughts?

#13 ·
For less than $25.00, throw a Promar coated 501 on that frame and you'll have a very nice net that would be, at worst, a great second net if you decide at some time in the future you actually need something bigger. If the frame is sound, why throw it away? If you decide you need more length, you could always use a piece of wood dowel as a ferrule and slide another piece of aluminum pipe on in the additional length you want. Might be a less expensive way to determine what you really want/need. Just a thought. jc

#12 ·
I really like my Beckman nets. I like how light they are in the hand yet they are built really well, very strong. The new Beckmans made by P-line appear to be just as good if not better, but time will tell.

If you're fishing out of a larger 20-25' boat like most of us have, you'll want the 6 foot handle (Headhunter, that's handle length only). For hoop size, either the largest they make or the seconds size down. I like the big one, makes it easy to get the fish in the bag.

Speaking of bags, knotless is going to be best for the fish. The smaller the mesh size, also the better for the fish, and will keep lures and sinkers from going through and getting tangled. Coated is also better for the fish and will keep hooks from snagging. My Beckmans all have knotted bags, one coated and one not, so not necessarily ideal. I really like the looks of those ProMar Hook Resist bags above, I may have to get one and try it out.

I like that the original Beckman had a handle that was just standard aluminum tubing. Not sure if the new ones are the same. It makes it each to make a longer net handle for just a few bucks, or to replace it when you leave your net in the holder while driving through the Rainier boat launch parking lot. I wish they'd cut down those damn trees! :mad:

Attachments

#16 · (Edited)
This really helped fellas, thank you. Trying my best to get schooled up on being a better steward of our resources.

I will take that net off the frame, get a 501 and extend the handle ASAP. It will eventually be a back-up net as I do want a larger more sturdy hoop & longer handle for when I am netting solo.

How do you store your net in transit, while on troll or on the hook? Rocket launcher? Rod holder? I have Browndog in the boat at times and would like it off the deck

FWIW I am working with a 17.5 Alumaweld VS Sled that does double duty as a duckboat and fishing boat. Things tend to get cramped quickly so what is the best way to store your net and keep it out of the way?

PS: The ProMar Hook Resist 501 is ordered and on its way. Thanks for the suggestion.

#17 ·
I fish solo 90% of the time. The net I use is a vintage Beckman Tyee, purchased in 1990. Snapped off about a foot and a half coming up the ramp at Kelly's Brighton Marina,(way back when R&R had the place) and added a section of an aluminum handle, length of the handle is 7 feet. The Hoop which is steel, is 32" X 29". It may seem like a really long handle but I lay it from gunwale to gunwale on my 17' Whaler. Bracing it on the gunwale as I slide it out to net my fish. The extended handle is a treat to work with and I rarely loose a fish.:thisbig:
And this isn't a believe it or Knot story.

#18 · (Edited)
The ProMar net came and is installed. Really nice for sure and way more fish and fishing friendly. Need to extend the handle a foot for so with the dowel and tubing suggestion. Thanks for the help guys.

Eventually I want a net with a bigger hoop and this will be the backup. But will do the trick for the time being.

How are you storing them in your boat so they are out of the way?

#19 ·
I'm a Beckman net fan, that said I have a net to only use it if i'm going to kill the fish, which is identified before pulling it out of the holder.
If it is unclipped then I use a de-hooker not a friggin net, I don't need a pic of every fish I release.:doh:

#31 ·
Frabil, Beckman, Promar, are ones I see most often here on ifish. It seems some even mix and match the components of each.

What makes a good net. What features do you like? Net shape, coated or not, net webbing size, hoop size, hoop shape, handle length, collapsible or fixed handle? Do you do any mods to make it better? How do you store it in your sled to protect your investment?

School me on nets please.
I posted this a few years back

http://www.ifish.net/board/showpost.php?p=7587850&postcount=10

#32 ·
Gonna share one of HH's pics to make a point.

Couple folks have noted the overall shallowness of the new Beckman bags. Part of a successful net shot is having enough bag beyond the hoop to "wrap" the fish for secure closure to keep it from jumping out as the net is drawn tight during the axial PULL maneuver. The pic above shows you how much bag is available to wrap the fish. There's just enough there to get the job done, but it requires more precise timing and a very brisk PULL stroke to ensure the fish ends up at the far end of the bag beyond the hoop for a secure "wrap".

As an advocate of the PUSH-PULL netting technique, I'll again emphasize the significance of the all-important DROP on the part of the rod-man to seal the deal! An ill-timed or non-existent drop will prevent the net man from easily closing this bag around the fish.

#37 ·
Frabill has sure come a LONG ways in their Conservation Series...

From this HORRIBLE monstrosity....

To this SLEEK beauty...

That OLD design had a ridiculously thick, excessively coarse, HEAVY rubber-coated ropey mesh that was probably 1/4 inch thick! It was an absolute DOG right outta the gate!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.