Thread: New Tuna Crew
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2019, 10:35 AM   #18
Etonfish
Ifish Nate

Default Re: New Tuna Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bait O Eggs View Post

Get to blue water and run your gear, you will develop how Zaq catches tuna. It might be jigging, it might be live bait, it might be dead bait, it may all be trolling. Find what you like to do and do it. Lots of fish out there, lots of room to fish.
This is great advice. Don't get discouraged by the people who post big numbers. Many have been doing it for years and putting in a ton of hours.

I have come to the realization that I am a tuna troller. That's what I learned 30 years ago, it works and it's fun. When jigging became a fad, I gave it a try, but I couldn't seem to get over the jigging learning curve and no longer try. Frankly, on a small boat with a 2 or three person crew, I just don't think it works as well as trolling.

My other advise is fish care. More so than with any other fish, how you care for your tuna makes all the difference in the world in how good it is. Getting them bled and then chilled as quickly as possible is the name of the game. Lots of ways to do it, but the quicker and colder the fish get, they better they will be. My method is to bleed them in seawater ice mixture for 15 minutes or so, then dehead and gut, then on ice. Once home, I repack in clean ice, throw some rock salt on top and fillet in the morning when they are super chilled.
Etonfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.07147 seconds with 14 queries