IFish Fishing Forum banner

Avid bass angler relocating to the Beaverton area

6K views 31 replies 15 participants last post by  shotgun 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all!

I thought it was time to chime in since I will be moving to the Beaverton area as of September 12th. I recently took a job at the Oregon famed Nike and am relocating from Utah. I have a Skeeter bass boat that will be joining me up here first of October just in time for the stellar fall fishing.

I am a serious bass angler and will be looking to knock a few things off of my list pretty quickly.

1. Research bass clubs that have active club tournament schedules.
2. Find someone to join me on my boat to show me the ropes at navigating the Columbia and Willamette rivers. I hear they can be dangerous if you don't know how to navigate the booey system.
3. Fish my brains out. My resident lake will be the Henry Hagg of course but will be exploring finding my own honey holes.

I fish just about every weekend and look forward to finding the right like-minded anglers. I do on occasion enjoy fishing for multi-species and also from a float tube.

See less See more
#4 ·
Just thought I would give you a "heads-up" about resident/non-resident licenses. You have to reside for six months before you can get a yearly resident license($33 minimum). The non-resident license is $106.25 minimum and is valid for the calendar year. There are several endorsements required for species and areas. The regs can be pretty complicated and the fines are not small. I suggest you download and read the regs (and updates!) from the ODFW Fishing website at:

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/fishing/

You should also go to the marine board site at:

http://www.oregon.gov/osmb/Pages/index.aspx

Your boat will have to be inspected for invasive species and you will have to obtain a boat operators card before you can legally launch. There is also information about registering your boat.

Welcome to Oregon! :rolleyes:

#6 ·
I'm aware of the different rules and regs. I'm not new to Oregon by any means, I've fished up there before. A bit of sticker shock for the license but I'll "bite the bullet" for now and get a new license in 6 months.

We have similar invasive species awareness here which I am 100% for so no worries there.

Thanks for the links!

#7 ·
That is what I've been told. Up here I travel 4-5 times a year to bass waters that hold big fish and numbers so I expect to do the same with the great waters around the state. 4-5 hour drive is well worth the experience. Only lake I will really miss is Lake Powell. :(

Pretty damn excited to fish for some big Smallmouth, the smallie fishing here in Utah is horrible.

#14 ·
The big rivers aren't bad to run. Stay inside the buoys (red right return...from the ocean) and don't run the banks....do a ninety into them as you go up or down ease into them untill you get a feel. A good chip or a map will be you best friend. Unless of coarse your fishing below the Dalles dam on the Oregon side in the islands...than you have to flat pay attention.
Great area though

#20 ·
I have another question...

Is there a good shop that works on Yamaha VMAX motors within 30 minutes of Beaverton? I will need to get my motor tuned for this lower elevation.
Ask this question in the Boat and Motor Tech blog and you should have an answer very quickly.

#27 ·
In the summer after the shad spawn the stripers will be slurping in the main channel feeding on small schools of shad on the surface. In early August it starts to erupt into biger boils as the shad get bigger and the stripers school up to more effectively feed.

Topwater = Super spooks (speckled sea trout) or any other shade immitation.

1/4th oz jighead with anchovies pieces on them in the middle of canyons on lake powell. Chum with the anchovies when you mark schools of stripers.

Deep diving shad immiation crankbaits/plugs.

Before you go, let me know and I will set you up with the pattern to look for.

http://www.wayneswords.com for more info.

#29 ·
I need some bass friends... Come on. :) My boat gets here next week. Can't wait to run the Skeeter up the Columbia!

Being shore bound is driving me nuts! Sucks knowing what to look for and not having a way to access the current. ;)

#31 ·
CBR - if your schedule ever meshes with mine I'd be happy to fish with you. Your boat or mine (if mine actually floats - it still has a few things to finish, plus trailer work, before it gets splashed for the first time.)

Most of my bassing is done on Hagg, though I occasionally fish the Willamette (from the bank) and Tualatin rivers.

My normal days off are Wednesday/Thursday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.