IFish Fishing Forum banner

Florence Tuna 7/30/18

5K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  jabulani 
#1 · (Edited)
We read Timber Tech's report of catching Tuna at 20/16 and decided to run for that area from Florence and hoped we could catch Tuna before we got there. Also heard reports of a commercial catching tuna straight out of Florence. We passed this rumor intel to the Lucky Duck and he decided to join us. Met two other boats at the Florence launch ramp, that heard similar reports, and we formed a small fleet to find the tuna and developed a plan to do so. The two other boats would head out west to 10/05 and we would head to 20/16, with Lucky Duck about 30 minutes behind us, because of a late start.

It was a long day of fishing from daybreak to 6:30 PM, but it paid off with good scratch Tuna fishing for all of us. After crossing the 125 line the Florence boats called out that they had one tuna aboard at 10/05. So we changed plans and headed west. By that time we were at 14/00.

We called out on the Channel 78 if any Newport Salty Dog had found Tuna and Sea Wolf responded that he was catching Tuna at 22/08.

We dropped lines in the water at 14/05 and at 14/08 we caught a double. We spent the rest of the day grinding this spot and and the surrounding area, catching mostly singles on the troll. However, I did catch 3 tuna jigging, as the another crew brought in troll fish. By 4:00 PM the boat was plugged with 27 nice grade Tuna. The Lucky Duck caught a few less tuna (17 tuna) only because when the action stopped, for an hour or so, he went off to try another area. We were going to do the same, but just as we pulling in the lures a tuna jumped out of the water and bite it, so we decided to keep grinding. We called Lucky Duck back when the action got better, but we put 10 more Tuna in the boat in this short period of time that he was fishing elsewhere, thus 27 vs 17. One of our Florence buddy boats had similar luck, grinding the whole day to catch 25 tuna. He found the best area to be 10/18.

My sincere thanks to the Fish Bandit for inviting me to join him and his side kick, Bob, on this tuna adventure. Also my thanks to Bob, for volunteering to cut off all the tuna's heads so we could put more tuna in the two ice bags aboard.

So Salty Dogs, south of Newport, you have two Florence areas to find Tuna. Go get um.

See less See more
#8 ·
Go get em I was going but couldnt scratch up a crew

#7 ·
Hi Gil,
Glad you loaded up...
That was me that walked on your Sea Wolf response...sorry.
I was trying to let you know there were plenty of cooperative fish north of you.
Looks like you had plenty to deal with where you were:)
For the most part, right now it's seems like it doesn't matter where you are at, just keep fishing & good things will happen.
Congrats on the haul:applause:

#10 ·
Thanks. Hearing Sea Wolf's response that he was catching fish at the 125 08 gave us confidence that we didn't need to go much further west to find tuna.

We are running again today with Adrenaline for Tuna. Did any Dog fish my numbers yesterday, July 31?

Who is running for tuna today?

Thanks.

Gil

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.