IFish Fishing Forum banner

The state patrol rolling slowdown.

20K views 103 replies 42 participants last post by  jvp 
#1 ·
You ever notice how many people are afraid to pass a state patrol officer on the highway?

I was rolling down I-5 this morning and came up on 4 lanes of traffic 20 cars deep. Look ahead and sure enough a state patrol officer is ahead of everyone and doing a few miles an hour under the speed limit.

He was probably laughing to himself about all the knuckleheads afraid to go past him.:jester:

I was finally able to get around the traffic and continue on down the highway. Sure enough as soon as the sheeple saw he wasn't gonna give everyone a ticket for passing him while doing 60mph,it opened the flood gates.

#4 ·
Common issue in Oregon - but happens else where. Have no problem passng an OSP if I am within the speed limit.
But I see more issues with people who feel entitled to drive below the spped limit in the center and fast lane between Salem and Tigard. They cause more issues than OSP.

What is interesting - we go down periodically to pick up new service cars from a place in Phoenix. We get to drive them back. So it is interesting watching people get in a line and avoid passing even if you are doing 5-10 MPH below speed limit.

#5 ·
Common issue in Oregon - but happens else where. Have no problem passng an OSP if I am within the speed limit.
But I see more issues with people who feel entitled to drive below the spped limit in the center and fast lane between Salem and Tigard. They cause more issues than OSP.

What is interesting - we go down periodically to pick up new service cars from a place in Phoenix. We get to drive them back. So it is interesting watching people get in a line and avoid passing even if you are doing 5-10 MPH below speed limit.
Dont mean to be a smart a__, but where exactly is the fast lane between Salem and Tigard? Traveled that stretch of road often and never seen anything posted "fast lane"

#51 ·
Can I ask you respectfully who the speed limit applies to? Can I also suggest respectfully to leave earlier? I know, I know...the finger to me, too...lol
Drive to the right and let them pass, what harm does that do to you? If LE thinks they are driving unsafely they will get ticketed. IT IS NOT UP TO US to inforce the unjustifably slow speed set in many places. Most of our freeways in rural parts of our state can be driven safely at speeds in excess of 80mph but I rarely drive faster than 75mph, 70mph on HW 97. There are place and times when the posted speed limit is unsafe.

BTW, any of you impeders ever hear of the Basic Rule?

#15 ·
Here we go again, all you guys that want to meet God early, please just don't involve me when you do. :palm:

#19 ·
Here we go again, all you guys that want to meet God early, please just don't involve me when you do. :palm:

Nobody wants to "meet god" as you put it. We do want to get to our destination in a timely and safe manner however. If the speed limit is posted at 65mph and I am in the far left lane traveling at 69mph then I am smart enough to understand that I need to move to the right for a vehicle traveling at 71mph.

Nuff said!

#16 ·
SEATTLE – Washington state troopers in King County pulled over 223 drivers last month who camped out in the freeway passing lane, breaking a law that not many drivers know about. Of those, 199 were let off with warnings.

The Washington State Patrol is putting higher emphasis on keeping slower traffic in the right lane and out of the left general purpose lane, which is the designated passing lane.

Many of those who were pulled over didn't know it was against the law, the state patrol said. Troopers told them to stay out of the left lane if traveling below freeway speeds and not to travel continuously in the left lane for no reason. Violators could be fined $124.

One of the concerns for enforcing the law is aggressive drivers who get frustrated at the slower traffic in front of them and, as a result, dart from lane to lane to get by other cars.

The HOV lane does not count as the so-called "fast lane." However, that is not the case on those freeways that have HOV lanes that are not enforced 24 hours a day, such as Interstate 405, Interstate 90 east of I-405 and State Route 167. Those HOV lanes are only enforced 5 a.m. to 7 p.m. At all other times, the HOV lane then becomes the designated passing lane.

"When HOV lanes are open to all traffic, they should be treated like a regular left-side freeway lane. Left-side freeway lanes are normally reserved for passing, so are only to be used to pass," WSP spokesman Dan **** told KING 5 last month.

#17 ·
I think those staters might be able to write better tickets to aggressive drivers if they camped out in the "fast lane" in unmarked cars traveling the maximum speed posted.

#25 ·
It seems clear to me that there are some people on this forum that travel at the posted maximum speed limit in the left lane. My second takeaway is that some of those same people get some perverse pleasure out of staying in the left lane knowing that there is someone behind them that wants to go faster.

Why not just get out of their way? What are you, the left lane police?

I just don't understand what is gained by staying in the left lane if there is another lane to the right available. Leave it open in case there is an Emergency vehicle or someone with explosive diarrhea that needs to go faster

#26 ·
Simple solution be a decent human being drive the speed limit ( speeding is in fact wrong to do)
Keep right except to pass....

If I am going the speed limit in the left lane and am passing other cars and you come flying up behind me it is not my responsibility to get out of your way it is your responsibility to not travel faster than the posted speed limit but rest assured when I am done passing I will get over..

#28 · (Edited)
I drive for a living and I drive as fast as I need too to get my job done.... I also drive safely and it is possible to drive 10-15 over the speed limit and do it safely. On the freeway the right lane is for people getting ready to exit or doing the speed limit, all other lanes are for and in order thru traffic, and passing...A ticket for 4 miles over the limit says you were wreckless with your speeding.... A ticket for 20 over beat by a lawyer tells the cop to go eat another doughnut!!!!

#34 ·
you cannot drive on a busy freeway going 10 to 15 mph over the limit and even come close to calling it safe.

regardless of what lane you are in you should not expect people going the legal limit to get out of your way.. it's that simple if you are speeding you are in the wrong if you get mad about people being in your way that's completely your issue and has nothing to do with them.. you are 100% responsible for your anger.. however people should keep right except to pass..

#36 ·
tsorrels: OSP's fine schedule according to speeds over the posted speed begins at 9 mph over the posted speed. I assume this is in effect where the posted speed is 55 or more on highways not under the control of some local municipality. At that point, the rules of local ordinances would be in effect although OSP doesn't generally patrol areas where local authorities operate. OSP, county LE and city LE, all have different rules/guidelines under which they operate.

#38 · (Edited)
You guys crack me up....Did you not know but most of your cars and trucks speedos are off more than you think. Id be hard pressed to find one that's dead nuts on.
Federal law states that for car manufactures, cars or trucks speedos must be within +/- 5 or 7MPH (I don't remember).
My stock little 2wd pick-up truck with stock tires and stock gears; At 65mph speedo reads 5mph faster than what I'm really going. This was verified with GPS, on board computer, radar, and marking my mileage with the mileage markers posted along I5.
So, if I think I'm going to be a goodie goodie high way police like some of these Ifisher's and drive the posted speed limit in the fast/passing lane, then in fact I'll be the tool who is driving too slow and could then get a ticket for holding up traffic or cause some nut case to blow up and try and kill me.....

#69 ·
Agree - now take 1000 cars with different speeds and impose a difference in speed by having big trucks travel at one speed and cars at a higher speed. No wonder everyone gets excited that someone is or is not doing the speed limit. Can get frustrating.

I found it interesting that with my GPS - It would suggest my car runs 3-4 MPH slower. To achieve 65 on GOS I have to run 68-69. Big difference when you think you are doing the speed limit.

Personally I think people should have to pass a driving test to be allowed to drive on freeways. Like we use to have drivers license restrictions for automatic transmissions.

Federal law states that for car manufactures, cars or trucks speedos must be within +/- 5 or 7MPH (I don't remember).
QUOTE]

#39 ·
I love these threads. Yes, the speed limit is the same in all of the lanes.....It IS!!!!
If you need to get to your destination in a timely manner, leave with enough time to do so, WITHOUT taking extra risks. THANKS!:flowered:

Who do these people who need to drive fast think they are? PLEASE, don't risk OUR lives because you "need" to get to your destination 60 seconds faster.

PLEASE!!!!

BTW - I was pulled over for doing 57 in a 55 one time. TRUE STORY!!!! I was warned and let go. It COULDN'T have been because I was a 20 something, shaggy haired blonde kid, driving a Ford PU with surfboards on the roof, down a country road later in the evening...:whistle: I think he thought he was going to get me for DUI.......He almost DID!!!!:whistle::palm::doh: Good thing I waited until I was back at the cabin!!!!:meme:

#40 ·
Doesn't your tire size affect the speedometer?

When its heavy, commuter-time traffic, I have noticed that the on ramps plug things up so in those areas, I drive the middle lane. In light traffic, I drive the right lane. If the left lane is fairly open and I'm going some distance and traffic is slow in the 2 right lanes, I'll drive that but I keep an eye on the rear view mirror and if someone is catching up, I'll get over and let the idiot pass and hope to see him/her pulled over down the road. Never do, dang it! I maintain 55-60 or just go with the flow of traffic.

Most rude drivers on the road? Young women! Insurance companies ought to do to them what they used to automatically do to young men years ago. Your insurance rate is based on your gender and age if under 26. They seem to have such an attitude behind the wheel. I know...not fair. Some good young women drivers. Next worst drivers? Old men. Probably could remove all their car mirrors and they would never notice. And, heaven forbid, you signal to move into their lane ahead of them. They'll close that gap as quick as they can. Heck, there's just a whole lot of rude drivers out there period!

Heavy commuter traffic and on ramps? I always let one or two cars in...I wonder if everyone did that, there wouldn't be such a bottle neck. I always leave space behind the car in front of me but geez...never fails that someone who thinks they can weave in and out and get ahead of the mess will dart in at the last minute causing me to hit the brake. Next car is definitely going to have an automatic transmission....shift, shift, shift in heavy traffic.

But I digress AGAIN! Sorry (and I'll pass a cop if I can do it without exceeding the speed limit)

#42 ·
Drive right pass left and keep out of the left lane (fast lane) if you are not keeping up with the flow of trafic. If you can't/won't keep up with the flow of trafic get off the road and cause problems for those of us that prefer to drive the secondary highways.

#45 ·
ummm ones who are going over the posted speed limit are the ones causing the problems.. the ones going the speed limit are the ones doing the right thing and it is very very very wrong for people breaking the law to tell other people to break the law and then blame problems on them if they don't.. If a person is going the speed limit and everyone around him is speeding it is the majority who are speeding that are making things dangerous not the one obeying the law... That is the fundamental misunderstanding in this whole argument . there needs to be a huge crackdown on people going 10 mph over the posted limit on freeways.. OPS should be writing hundreds of tickets per day in Portland alone...

#43 ·
Funny how there'e such a stink about the "Slower Traffic Keep Right" law- while the same people feel it's OK to blatantly, routinely break the "Speed LIMIT" law sign. And indeed brag about it.

And THIS:

"""One of the concerns for enforcing the law is aggressive drivers who get frustrated at the slower traffic in front of them and, as a result, dart from lane to lane to get by other cars.""

-is 180 degrees BACKWARDS! The police should be arresting the wreckless/angry aggressive drivers doing all the insanely dangerous lane switching.

#48 ·
Funny how there'e such a stink about the "Slower Traffic Keep Right" law- while the same people feel it's OK to blatantly, routinely break the "Speed LIMIT" law sign. And indeed brag about it.

And THIS:

"""One of the concerns for enforcing the law is aggressive drivers who get frustrated at the slower traffic in front of them and, as a result, dart from lane to lane to get by other cars.""

-is 180 degrees BACKWARDS! The police should be arresting the wreckless/angry aggressive drivers doing all the insanely dangerous lane switching.
Ticket impeders as well as agressive drivers but keep to the right, especialy if you are driving slower. WHAT IS SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND ABOUT THIS?

IMPEDERS CAUSE A BIG % OF AGRESSIVE DRIVING

ummm ones who are going over the posted speed limit are the ones causing the problems.. the ones going the speed limit are the ones doing the right thing and it is very very very wrong for people breaking the law to tell other people to break the law and then blame problems on them if they don't.. If a person is going the speed limit and everyone around him is speeding it is the majority who are speeding that are making things dangerous not the one obeying the law... That is the fundamental misunderstanding in this whole argument . there needs to be a huge crackdown on people going 10 mph over the posted limit on freeways.. OPS should be writing hundreds of tickets per day in Portland alone...

Move to the right, it's not up to you to decide how fast someone can safely drive.

Man, you guys crack me up! Please, if you come to Central America, just drive your car to the best of your ability and try to stay out of the way!

We don't have "speed envy" here. No "left lane police". If you want to try to keep up with the buses going over the mountains, go right ahead. But if you decide to get in their way by sitting in the left lane expect to be forced off the road and not gently.

You have the best roads in the world and spend more to control people's speed (and everything else) than anywhere. Why do so many of you think that the speed limit is so sacrosanct that you need to impede anyone who doesn't believe as you do? Why the deeply seated need to "be right" and fore everyone else to "be right"? Just drive your car.
Yup

#47 ·
Man, you guys crack me up! Please, if you come to Central America, just drive your car to the best of your ability and try to stay out of the way!

We don't have "speed envy" here. No "left lane police". If you want to try to keep up with the buses going over the mountains, go right ahead. But if you decide to get in their way by sitting in the left lane expect to be forced off the road and not gently.

You have the best roads in the world and spend more to control people's speed (and everything else) than anywhere. Why do so many of you think that the speed limit is so sacrosanct that you need to impede anyone who doesn't believe as you do? Why the deeply seated need to "be right" and fore everyone else to "be right"? Just drive your car.

#72 ·
Thanks, Crabbait, but I was kinda asking that of SilverSalmon77.

I don't know if its the time and way I was brought up or because I'm female...I never get over being a little shocked when people think the laws don't apply to them. That's why I asked the question...WHO does it apply to?

Actually, Crab...people violating the speed laws CAN affect me. I don't worry about it but I sure as heck better be driving VERY defensively. I don't know how many times I have to brake because someone thinks he/she MUST be in front of the pack and they're darting in and out.

#53 ·
Everybody has pretty much stated that even if they don't ever exceed the speed limit, that they will use the left lane only to pass, and will move to the right when the pass is completed.

That is perfect. That is what we should all be doing regardless of how fast one drives. Use the left lane to pass, then move back to the right.

I think some folks on here just want to argue. If you can't wait for someone to complete a pass and move over, you might need to work on your patience a bit.

I love road trips and driving. What keeps me interested is paying great attention to what is going on around me. I like the process of using the right lane and when coming up to a slower vehicle, moving over to pass, then moving to the right lane again. It keeps me busy and interested.

#59 ·
VBR can also apply for speeds under the speed limit, according to conditions, like driving on snow and ice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.