IFish Fishing Forum banner

For the dogs we've loved and lost

24K views 34 replies 24 participants last post by  Smokerjet 
#1 ·
Oregon's own Ben Hur Lampman wrote this piece. So true.

Where To Bury A Dog

There are various places within which a dog may be buried. We are thinking now of a setter, whose coat was flame in the sunshine, and who, so far as we are aware, never entertained a mean or an unworthy thought. This setter is buried beneath a cherry tree, under four feet of garden loam, and at its proper season the cherry strews petals on the green lawn of his grave. Beneath a cherry tree, or an apple, or any flowering shrub of the garden, is an excellent place to bury a good dog. Beneath such trees, such shrubs, he slept in the drowsy summer, or gnawed at a flavorous bone, or lifted head to challenge some strange intruder. These are good places, in life or in death. Yet it is a small matter, and it touches sentiment more than anything else.
For if the dog be well remembered, if sometimes he leaps through your dreams actual as in life, eyes kindling, questing, asking, laughing, begging, it matters not at all where that dog sleeps at long and at last. On a hill where the wind is unrebuked and the trees are roaring, or beside a stream he knew in puppyhood, or somewhere in the flatness of a pasture land, where most exhilarating cattle graze. It is all one to the dog, and all one to you, and nothing is gained, and nothing lost -- if memory lives. But there is one best place to bury a dog. One place that is best of all.
If you bury him in this spot, the secret of which you must already have, he will come to you when you call -- come to you over the grim, dim frontiers of death, and down the well-remembered path, and to your side again. And though you call a dozen living dogs to heel they should not growl at him, nor resent his coming, for he is yours and he belongs there.
People may scoff at you, who see no lightest blade of grass bent by his footfall, who hear no whimper pitched too fine for mere audition, people who may never really have had a dog. Smile at them then, for you shall know something that is hidden from them, and which is well worth the knowing.
The one best place to bury a good dog is in the heart of his master.

See less See more
#6 ·
I'm a duck hunter, I am on my fifth generation of companions in my pursuit, his name is Junior, I dread the days that are being discussed in this thread. This thought helps me through those tough moments.

Dogs come into our lives to teach us about Love, they depart to teach us about loss. A new dog never replaces an old dog, it merely expands the heart...if you have loved many dogs your heart is very big.

If there are no dogs in heaven, then I want to go were they went. - Will Rogers

#11 ·
When I put down my yellow lab at 14 I never thought I'd get another dog. It took three years then I found my Chessy as a little tiny puppy. She is now turning 12 this year and slowing down. I dread the thought when it comes time. Until then she is with me 24/7 and my best buddy. As I write this she is laying right beside me. Give your buddies the attention they deserve because they give it back to us ten fold.

#12 ·
Until then she is with me 24/7 and my best buddy. As I write this she is laying right beside me. Give your buddies the attention they deserve because they give it back to us ten fold.
Amen Brother! Mine is laying right beside me now too like she always does. These dogs devote all of their feelings towards us and know only love for their families. It is so difficult to lose these family members, especially when you have spent hours upon hours together training and building trust. I feel bad for anyone going through the loss right now, just remember the great life they had with you!

These threads always choke me up but I am glad they get started!

#16 ·
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

#18 · (Edited)
Heaven is a place where all the dogs you have ever loved run to greet you .
Some faiths say that dogs don't go to heaven with us , well if thats true then i want to go where they go .
Grant is on the Left my first German Shepherd dog we had him 15years Worlds best dog ,Adisa to his right was a ex-police dog who was to be put to sleep we gave her 7years she was not supposed to have she was a great dog too and the little guyCaesar is now 11yrs laying at my feet right now.
And we have his son just turned 2 yrs In November Lincoln

Attachments

#19 · (Edited)
Our 11yr old German Shepherd Dog passed over the rainbow bridge last night
I miss him so much

Attachments

#24 · (Edited)
RIP Niko, my daughters angel of 15 years.
Our first and last day with Niko.

It’s been a tough year, but as many have said before, you know when it’s time. As you can see, she has been a warrior. My wife and daughter have given her an extra 1.5 years of good life through diet, exercise, and medication, but her health dropped off a cliff a couple days ago and she's just not going to recover. She has been an angel to our family through difficult times as we bought her as a companion to my daughter when she was diagnosed with crohns. My daughter is doing well as a nurse in Boise, but Niko has succumbed to age and arthritis and is now sick and frail. Niko has struggled up the front porch and getting up from laminate floors for the last time. My daughter is home for a couple days, and we all finally came to a unanimous decision that it was time. I am a little bit sorry we waited so long, but it's so hard to let go. She has been a gift from god and we will miss her!!!!!!!!!!!

One of our families most difficult decisions, but it was the best thing to do. Niko is no longer struggling and is finally at peace. Glad to have her home again

#26 ·
My Brother Dog "Big Dane" is on home hospice. 13years Black lab. He has Lymphoma and is loosing weight, still gets around great but I dont know how much long this will last. He is eating well but its just feeding the cancer. Hope he makes it through the Holidays. Prognosis was 6 weeks and we are at the end of Week 2. I think one more trip to the beach is in order!

#27 ·
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog Tail

Well a sad day last Friday I had to my best friend down. Sadie was 14 years 8 months and really tried to hang on but cancer finally took its toll. What a great friend you'll be missed laying there in front of the wood stove. I will remember how much you loved going clamming with me and chasing those coastal pheasants for hours, chasing ducks across East Lake and making me chase you down in the boat. You will be sorely missed and like I told you during your last breaths take a right after the gates and everything will be fine. Listen for my whistle I'll be there in time to pat you on the head again.

#28 ·
My vet sent this script in a card of condolences. Thought you all who have lost "that special friend" could use comfort and put yourself at ease that things are good and they are just waiting for that time when you meet again.

“Rainbow Bridge”
Just this side of Heaven is a place called “Rainbow Bridge”. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone, that pet goes to “Rainbow Bridge”. There are meadows and hills for all our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals that had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content except for one thing; they each miss someone very special, someone who is left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; his eager body begins to quiver. Suddenly he breaks from the group, flying over the green grass, faster and faster. You have been spotted and when you and your special friend finally meet, you can cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again.
The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head and you look once more into the trusting eyes, so long gone from your life, but never absent from your heart.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.