IFish Fishing Forum banner

Tuna water shaping up

12K views 64 replies 29 participants last post by  adrenaline 
#1 ·
I know its early but have you looked at Terrafin lately?

The tuna high way is wide open from southern Cal up to Oregon, you can view this for free just go to Terrafin enter the home page click the tab for free images, Terrafin shows water off northern Cal at 57-58. Oregon around 56.

Any predictions for early tuna??

#21 · (Edited)
Brings back memories of the first Tuna I ever caught fishing out of Newport at the time. I think it was about 2003 or 2004. Had my lil Duck at that time 21.5’ soft top.
We got all rigged up by the tackle store that probably most people remember located on the N side of the bay. They got us set up with some hand lines, and a few clones and told us how fast to troll etc.

That’s all I knew about Tuna fishing then. It was enough.

We followed the fleet out and got our Halibut fairly quickly, then continued West for a few more miles, wish I could remember who we followed out there. Anyway we ended up with about 5 Tuna, the most exciting fishing trip I had & have , ever been on .

Welcome to the dark side.

And thousands of $$$$ later, we’ll , the rest as they say is history. Good times.

I hope your right about the 20th. !!!

#8 ·
Blacktale,

I have been looking hard at Terrafin and trying not to get too excited, but I see a highway of 58 degree water.

A buddy is headed out next week, so hopefully I will get some information.

I have proven many times that it is a lot easier to catch the last tuna than the fist one, so I am going to let someone else try and catch the first one this year.

It is weeks not months to the first tuna and I can't wait.

Mike C

#9 ·
I've been watching and waiting. And twitching a little bit when I start to think about it.

I see the highway shaping up, now I'm watching the north wind. If we get a hard blow for a few weeks on the south coast the tuna will be off Newport-little Italy. If the central coast blows up with the wind they will be down south.

At this point, they'll be where the chlorophyll bloom isn't.

#18 ·
I think they are accessible from Charleston now. I'd bet you lunch money that if you headed to the 125*20 43*20, you could catch them today. It looks great out there. Water is blue and 59 degrees.

I wish I could go prove it but I have a family vacation starting Friday. Just no time to do it :(

Good luck boys! I'll be back on the 1st of July and ready to get them!

Chass
ct

#19 ·
You may be right Chass, but I know of a Boat that went out further than that Fri & not a sign of Tuna, Tuna water moves in fast this time of the year tho, so maybe today, maybe tomorrow, maybe next week, soon, very soon.

#24 ·
First Ilwaco Tuna...2011... remember SeaYa... 36 ft yellowfin Triple 300 zukes... my good friend Wayne owned it and we decided July 3 2011 we were going to get the first Ilwaco Tuna with crew of 4-5... fishing day cane everyone bailed except Wayne and me... bar was restricted to 36 feet so Uscg talked to us since we were like 36.6 and let us go. We headed south and started trilling we finally got a double and got 1 peanut in and said it’s fine to go. GPS said it was 101 miles to the tip
Of the south jetty so away we went in a hurry.... had about a 900 Fuel bill to split 2 ways for 1 fish on the 4 th of July.... man that fish tasted good... honest true story ... would not change a thing if I could do it again... it’s all about the adventure

#25 ·
That's a long ways for one fish! I think I've traveled almost that far for no fish!:doh: :(

Boy, I like that thrill of knowing you are catching the first Oregon tuna of the year! Those have been some of my favorite fishing moments.

I'd be out there now if I had the time. This is not my year.

Chass
ct

#40 ·
Something wrong with your S Mark? It does look like code! it appears your computer or the website is doing something with your S's that is messing up your posts. Do your posts look normal to you?

Chass
ct

#39 ·
Oooooo! I believe! It's like Santa Clause, if you believe hard enough, it feels like it will actually happen!

Did you get the port? South I assume?

Chass
ct

#43 · (Edited)
They're Heeeeere!

To support what upland hunter posted, I just read a reliable report on Albacore Addicts (FB Group) that Mark from All Rivers + Saltwater Charters caught Albacore yesterday 60+ miles offshore. Commercial right?

While that may be a long ways, that distance could change overnight.

Let the games begin.

Chass
ct

#45 ·
Muchas gracias Amigo!!

You've ruined all production until a salt fix complete with tail slaps has rendered this insane addiction cured...if only for a few minutes!

Little Italy is a buzz with talk of tuna...the big boys were already planning on leaving early next week to look for them in the 130's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.