IFish Fishing Forum banner

Sea Lion Town Hall Meeting, Oregon City, Sat May 30th, Clackamette Park

10K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  HuskyKMA 
#1 Ā· (Edited)

• Federal Congressman Kurt Schrader​
  • Columbia River Inter Tribal Fish Commission​
  • Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife​
  • State and local representatives​
Please come and support recently introduced federal legislation to modify the Marine Mammal Protection Act and allow broader control by states to manage sea lions that are harming wild and protected fish.​

Saturday May 30th, Clackamette Park, Oregon City, Noon.​

Each of the listed entities will be on hand to discuss the urgent need to give states the management authority to control problem sea lions that are a serious threat to wild and endangered Salmon, Steelhead and Sturgeon.​

Congressman Schrader along with Congresswoman Jaimie Herrera-Buetler recently introduced a federal bill to allow state control of problem sea lions.​
Please attend and lend your support to passing this vital Federal Legislation

PLEASE REFRAIN FROM CONVERSATIONS ABOUT SEA LIONS THAT ARENT REGARDING THIS RALLY AND IT'S PURPOSE. THANK YOU.

See less See more
#4 Ā·
"Congressman Schrader along with Congresswoman Jaimie Herra-Buetler recently introduced a federal bill to allow state control of problem sea lions."

Jaime is a CCA member and a good friend of the fish.:applause:

#7 Ā·
I'll accept your thanks on behalf of all the CCA volunteers behind the scenes who work tirelessly on these issues. And their names are never known. I get to be the messenger on a lot of these. But there are LOTS of great folks making it happen

#9 Ā·
Fire power for the fight maybe?

http://www.waheagle.com/story/2015/05/21/news/sea-lion-predation-at-record-level/9860.html

Maybe a counter to that Facebook page of those who defend these creatures?

-S.C.I.
Good piece. From the article:

"The number of sea lions and the number of salmon theyā€™ve eaten this year in the Bonneville Dam tailrace is more than double the twelve-year average, according to a May 12 status report by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
Sea lions, or pinnipeds, have caused havoc this year, both at the dam where they pick off salmon and other fish stalled in the tailrace, and lower in the river where commercial and recreational fishing has been impacted, as well as in Astoria where sea lions have taken over docks.
At the dam, their presence has broken records for the number of sea lions observed in one day and for the number of chinook salmon eaten over the season."

I have no doubt the effect of steelhead, wild Spring Chinook and sturgeon on the Willamette are seeing similar increases.

#10 Ā· (Edited)
The only active sea lion control on the Willamette River to date was due to a bill introduced by Dave Hunt.

That bill funded 2 years of hazing by Odfw. That was never designed to be a solution. But an important step.

Observations by Odfw and Osu have followed. Many state and local legislators have been engaged.

Money to apply for removals were recently removed from the Odfw budget and put back in by sport groups working in the Odfw budget process

I hope all that support meaningful control of problem sea lions will attend and lend their support

#11 Ā·
This is an announcement. Please keep your debate off of this thread.

#13 Ā·
All of us need to take the time (off from fishing) to show up for this important meeting. Bring a buddy, the wife, and family and show up at OC !!!!

jz

#17 Ā·
The purpose of this meeting is to show support for reasonable control of a sea lion population that is out of control in our rivers.

The main species threatened by them are not currently harvested.

Wild winter steelhead
Wild spring chinook
Sturgeon

Convincing local folks isn't an issue. Convincing the rest of the country is.

Please do your part by showing up for an hour or two on Saturday at noon

#18 Ā·
Hope to see you there,

jz

#20 Ā· (Edited)
I just found out that I will not be at this very important meeting. Instead I will be meeting with US Senator Ron Wyden. You can bet we will talk about this and other issues important to fish and fishermen. I again would encourage all of you to attend this town hall. Sorry Bruce but we need all of their support.

#22 Ā·
For those of you not fishing Halibut on Saturday like me:mad:

Or fishing Bonneville, please show up and show your support.

This legislation would affect the whole state, not just the Columbia River:twocents:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.