IFish Fishing Forum banner

Prineville crappie?

28K views 140 replies 39 participants last post by  TheKodiakWay 
#1 ·
I know its to early just planning ahead and loading up on gear. Never really targeted crappie except for 1 trip to Brownlee last spring but they are so tasty that I am wanting to target them closer to home.
Any advice on jig colors and timing?

#106 · (Edited)
Any one else getting personal messages asking questions about Prineville crappie, where to fish, camp, etc.? Are there others contacting you with personal messages that eventually lead to "maybe we can fish together" with a picture of a female along with the moniker?
yea I have. Teddybear31. Picture of a younger girl in it. Have had a couple messages from her. Answered them and didn't get anything to suggest anything other than she was looking where to fish. Did seem like she wasn't sure where to go out there or even how to find the Res.! I gave her my vast knowledge of crappie fishing, all three weeks of it!

#109 ·
Well to the people I messaged all becuz I want to know where everybody fishing at some fish's different place and other fish's different places n all combined together I will caught alot of friend and why am asking straight forward is bexuz I want to go to the good spot that crappies are biting now instead of going here and thier n wasting my car gas that all forks n thank to everyone that help me out I really appreciate it everyone that care for me n help.me out am new to this lol:)

#111 ·
I see you went on the introduction board & asked questions about fishing... without introducing yourself...why?, nobody knows who you are, an introduction would be very helpfull. Plenty of good info already shared on this board, Crappie are biting now as reported many times on this thread, some things are better done than said....like Crappie fishing, this thread alone has enough infor for anybody to catch a bunch of Crappie, no need for a PM...just go.

#110 ·
To NewFYDog your right all I am here is to get help and have fun time fishing for crappies and I like the way you think better then other people out thier that don't have a big caring heart yes plz hit me up and we all can tag along n fish n eat n drink if u like lol hehe I just want to know where all the crappies are in that lake so am new here n just want to find them n fish them all my family n cousin love crappies so now am asking nice for help cuz I never been thier before that all you fork out thier lol;) no worry am not a stronger or a scammer ok just lost in this in lake lol hehe:) let all get along n work as a team player!:) Have a good day everyday and good luck fishing!:)

#112 ·
The bite is still on. Fished 6/3 and 6/10, basically fishing for smallmouth with a fly rod, but hauling in a pile of crappie when they are found. The bass fishing has been slow compared to last year, but once the school of crappie are found the seems to be no limit to how many you can catch. Took 24-36 both days, all 8- 9.75". Somewhat weedy tasting but not bad.

Today I worked all the rocky points in Bear Creek arm with poor fishing, but before I left found a bank of drowned willows with crappie every cast. Picked up some small but acrobatic bass there too. Fish were in 8-10' of water, 5-20 feet off shore of the flooded willows.

#113 ·
Strangely, there have been no reports of big bass caught at Prineville. I know this is a crappie discussion but one would think that someone has been spanking some big bass out there. There are some jumbo smallies and largemouth but not a word. You would think someone would get a 6 pounder accidentally on a jig occasionally. Come on now, brag a little. I’ll post a Brownlee report in a few days.

#115 ·
First time out this year, I got 4 crappie and two bass on crappie jig's. One bass was pretty nice, kept it.The other small and threw it back! haven't got one since and haven't fished for them either.

#117 · (Edited)
I spent the weekend there at the state park with my 2 young kids and a friend with his son.

We only fished on Saturday from the boat. We found crappies in most of the coves that we pulled into, but some were more productive than others. Most of my time was spent handing off the rod to my kids ( 2yr old and 4yr old) so they could reel in the fish. So I wasn't doing any serious fishing.

The sheriff patrol came by for a safety inspection while we were on the water and told us to go troll around the north end past the No Wake bouys. So we headed up that way and were into the crappie along the submerged bushes. We fished about 10-15' out from the bushes and crappie were very willing to bite. We only kept 25. The kids must've lost about 50+ fish in their wild excitement with the rod jumping all over the place...LOL. It was great watching them.

I should clarify, the sheriff deputies were very friendly, they were trying to be helpful in directing us where to find the crappies to keep the kids entertained. It worked great!

This post has been deleted
#119 ·
You already have plenty of help/info on this board, you are wasting time, just go fishing. Look!, nobody gets special treatment, some of us have wasted plenty of time & money to find these good spots without any help, but are still willing to share that valuable info with complete strangers, if you want to make friends, be a team player, use the info already posted many times on this thread, go fishing, give your full report, & tell a full story about yourself. :flowered:

#120 ·
Put the boat in at powder house on Saturday and fished from about 8 until 1. Crappie were spread pretty thin in bear creek and surrounding areas. Talked to two other groups that said the same thing. Seemed like they were in small schools here and there. They did bite though once we found them. Caught on gray with red speckle jigs about 15 feet deep. We kept enough for dinner. Seems like upper end is the place to be at the moment, will be out again Saturday morning.

#121 · (Edited)
Stayed 1 night at the state park- again, this park is very impressive.
Well manicured, very clean. The park ranger is a nice guy and the camp host;Ron is a great guy and loves to talk- even helped fillet fish!

The fish cleaning station is down- grinder is shot. Ranger says $10k for new one or ship the broken one off and maybe months.

Super easy fishing - 2 rods non stop action blowing with the wind- any color.

#122 ·
Went to Prineville Res this afternoon. Put in at Bowman Dam. Pretty slow! Tried some chicken liver for some cat's but nothing. Tried a bunch of different jig's for crappie buy only two. Going back to the upper end next time. Got out and rode around the shore a ways and very little cover like there is on the upper end, bush's growing out of the water. Sis stayed in the boat this time!

#125 ·
Fished from the night of the 28 through the morning of the 30th. Fishing was decent. Nothing compared to last year where we would tie on 3 jigs and catch 3 at a time. Brought home about 300. All decent sizes. Bite picked up around 6pm and died at sunrise time. Dead throughout the day. We fished from the shore and targeted steep rocky banks. Tried for smallies but could only catch dinks with senkos and Ned rigs.

#126 ·
This is normal pattern for summer crappies. High suns send these fish to cover. Overcast days are different. Nightfishing is a hoot and the more lights you have shining into water and IN the water, the better. I use an underwater light made for this purpose. One problem is cleaning all those fish the next morning when you are dead tired and the next day is shot because a long nap is mandatory. I tend to back off on crappies mid summer, however. They get a little soft, don't you Think?

#130 ·
I would really like to get enough for a good meal,no way do I want the numbers some of you are posting. Too much cleaning. Didn't get a chance to go before things warmed up. How is the fall fishing and when will the water cool off? Coming from Oregon City so probably stay a couple days at the state park.

#133 ·
I didn’t realize you can fish at night, thought it was 1hr before/after sunrise/sunset but maybe I’m confusing that rule.

Do you just hang a lantern or spot light out as an attractor, like guys do up in the Sound for squid? May have to plan a fall crappie trip. That sounds like a blast

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#134 · (Edited)
I read on a crappie site I got to that lot's of places fish for crappie through the ice and do well. I'm is winter and see what probably gonna try it a day or so see what happens. Also on a catfish site a guy claims to catch cats during the winter too. But, he live's in Florida. 75* is cold down there! But I'm gonna try that to but probably go to LaPage park to try for channel's.

Cousin is over from the valley for a few day's, taking him to Prineville today! Fed him some crappie last night and he really liked it. He'd never eaten it before.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.