IFish Fishing Forum banner

Kidney stones.....

2K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  Sneaker 
#1 ·
Holy schmoly, what agony! I'm sure I looked crazy beating my hands and head on the ER wall, but keerap.

For those who have dealt with this, how long did the soreness last after passing the stone? It moved on sometime early Monday morning....but I'm more sore this evening than anytime since! And of course it's the last weekend of archery coming up....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Wow Kyle.
You might want to go get another checkup.
Had them twice, and it lasted for 4 day's and nights, before passing them. They went down the chute, and instant relief. Zero after effects.
Go get a second checkup.
Stay away from chocolates and calcium products.
Oxylate (sp?), and calcium combine to produce those nasty little sea urchins.
Drink tons of water when you feel them coming on.

Funny thing... I was doing the same job as you out in the woods, when I had my first attack.
Must be job related?

#4 ·
Yea, no after effects for me. Just a lot of relief.

It is funny when you go to the ER and when you are laying on the floor in the fetal position squirming in pain the nurses walk up and already know. They nonchalantly the ask if this is your first time passing a stone. If I could have move there may have been some blood shed. All is forgiven when they put Dilaudid into the IV. You can just lay there and watch the ceiling do its magical dancing and not have a care in the world.

#5 ·
Yea, no after effects for me. Just a lot of relief.

It is funny when you go to the ER and when you are laying on the floor in the fetal position squirming in pain the nurses walk up and already know. They nonchalantly the ask if this is your first time passing a stone. If I could have move there may have been some blood shed. All is forgiven when they put Dilaudid into the IV. You can just lay there and watch the ceiling do its magical dancing and not have a care in the world.
It would be great to get the IV, BEFORE you get the pain. Not sure how to work that, though. :)

I have yet to experience them, but have a good friend that is right now. He says it's the worst pain he has ever felt. I hope to somehow avoid them completely! :pray:

#6 ·
Had my first experience earlier this year, hopefully the last, had no idea what it was, I was at work when it happened, it came on very fast, I tried to drive back to my primary reporting office, but only made a few miles & had to pulled over, as the pain was so bad by than my vision was getting blurry, got out & puked several times, called my boss but he was not close enough to help, so I called 911, when the paramedics showed up they knew what it was right away, gave me some medicine which helped greatly, it was still a very rough ride to the hospital during rush hour, long wait at the hospital did not help either, they took a cat scan & determined it was a 4 mil stone, gave me medicine to break up the stone, & it passed without pain, altho the pain medicine probably helped dull the pain, in hind sight I think I've had a few smaller stones that passed with minor pain in the past, but just did not know what it was at the time, now I know, I've known others that have had kidney stones, they all told stories of the terrible pain, but until you experience it for yourself, you don't have a clue what they were talking about.

#10 ·
Passed one quite a few years ago. Luckily the pain only lasted about 10 minutes. Had another one a couple of years ago and it last a lot longer. Started having pains while at work and within about 15 minutes had to have some one come finish my day of work. Some how drove myself to the doctors office, then the pharmacy and then home. Doc gave me some pain meds and flow max and told me to drink plenty water. I could only get decent pain relief by laying on my left side. Two days later and I was pretty much good to go. They say it's the closest pain to child birth that a man can experience.

#12 ·
Where to start...

I've passed several starting in 2007. Mine seem to come like the election cycle, every 4 years. 1st one was a 7 mm stone that reminded me of a sea urchin. 11:59 wake up in a SF hotel while traveling for business. You meet some very interesting people in the ER at that time of the night.

2nd one I passed with a bit less pain, but ended up with a kidney infection afterwards. The pain lasted until I got some antibiotics to deal with it.

The last one was a great anniversary present for my wife and I. Luckily the ER doc knew what the pain was like and hooked me up with meds right away.

Couple of things to consider: drink a lot of water, less soda, coffee or energy drinks. These will all help, but as my urologist reminded me, some of us are just prolific producers. Yippee

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

#13 · (Edited)
Yup. Oxalate and calcium combined causes most of them, according to one of my doc's.
He gave me a list of all the foods the oxalate comes in. Pretty amazing.
Chocolate was the worst, but some were mind boggling. Like Swiss chard and beans.

#14 ·
Passed one about 30 years ago. Went to bed and started hurting, 15 minutes later I was doubled up and trying to get dressed to go to the ER. Which I did. Spent the night. One of the worse pains I've ever felt.

Maybe 20 years ago there was a NASCAR driver driving a 500 miler with a kidney stone. Don't remember who it was, but he's a far better man that I.

#15 ·
My daughter has cystine stones that grow in days. She has suffered since she was about 17. She is in her mid forties now. She always has them and she is very stubborn and tries her best to pass them herself. I think her personal record was a 4 mm stone. She has a 5 plus right now. But because she has a Crossfit competition this weekend in Seattle she is going to go do that, drive home Monday morning. Change her clothes and go check in the hospital to get it taken care of Monday afternoon.

They have to go up into the kidney and blast with a laser. Then they have to spend a lot of time cleaning out everything because each microscopic crystal becomes a seed for another stone.

She is tough enough about it that her urologist makes sure he schedules her for surgery immediately when she calls because he knows she won't call him until she is almost completely incapacitated.

And she will be back in the gym by Wednesday I bet. I love her, but she's a bit crazy.

#17 ·
YIKES!
I've been watching my diet / intake very closely for years now. And have avoided several episodes.
Get that feeling , and start pumping down gallons of water. Has been working good since the last episode in the late 90's.
Study up folks. It could save you a ton of pain and hospital bill's.
Just my :twocents: worth.

#21 ·
I'm alive. Still soreness in the area, but almost gone now. Walked a few miles today with a bow in my hand, wish I would have done it yesterday.

I talked to several other people that had lasting soreness, but only for a couple days.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

#22 ·
Glad to hear you're back to being a bi-ped.
Did ya go get another check out? That just doesn't sound right. :excited:
Hope it didn't cause any internal damage.
Not fun. I know.
But go on back there down the traverse and get that tripod and prism before we forget. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.