IFish Fishing Forum banner

Hot Tip for Kwikfish!

28K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  Quasimodo the fish killer 
#1 ·
Ever have those days when you run Kwikfish and you get the SLAM rod to the water, you wait and decide to pick it up, then gone! :mad:

I was fortunate in luck of the draw at the North Coast Rendezvous to have Buzz Ramsey in the boat with me on the second day of the tourney and he gave me this tip:

Salmon Bungee

Well folks, Sunday this week I had one guy in the boat with me and we went 1 for 15 on kwikfish, only 1 for 15!!! I was livid to say the least!

So, I went out and got ahold of some Luhr Jensen Salmon Bungee's (the same as used on the Columbia this year for Silvers) and put them on to see what would happen.

Guess what, they work! And it's awesome! Monday, 3 for 4 ... Tuesday, 4 for 4 ...

We should have been 8 for 8 but, one reel had the anti-reverse go out and spun backwards when the fish hit, so it didn't hook up!

I'm sure liking what I'm seeing and if I were you, I'd give it a try ... I think you'll like it!

I wish it was my idea, but I thought I'd pass it on. Thanks Buzz!

Fish On!
and Happy Thanksgiving!
-Marty

[ 11-26-2003, 06:16 PM: Message edited by: Gone Fishin ]

See less See more
#3 ·
A salmon bungee is an elastic rubber tube that is rated 90 to 135 lb breaking strength. Set up as you normally would for a kwikfish, the only difference being you attach the salmon bungee to the swivel from the main line, then run 4 to 6 feet of leader from the other end of the bungee and attach the kwikfish. The salmon bungee will stretch (to a certain point) as the salmon grabs the Kwikfish and won't feel the tension of the line or the rod and stay with it until the rod doubles over.

#4 ·
Do you feel this might be a good method for anchor plunking K-fish for springers in the Columbia? (there's that word again...SPRINGERS!)

#5 ·
We had the same problem earlier this year. I finally got fed up and put a bungy on my guests rod and the next 2 fish stuck. After the trip I took off my Tuff Line and put on mono. I went 4 for my next 5 on that trip. Braided lines have no stretch and as much as I like to fish with it, it just isnt worth all the drive byes.

Mono and semi loose drag works like a charm.

Jfool :cool:

#8 ·
MMMMmmmmmm, Salmon Bungee.

I like it, great idea :bowdown:

I was just looking at some bungees that I have but didn't get chance to use.

The bungees may be a solution that lets you use your faster action rods, they should really add some giivvveeee.

#9 ·
i like the salmon bungee`s. everything that gone fishin says about them is 100 percent true IMHO, and besides more hookups when your fighting a fish its almost imposible for the fish to throw the hook because of the added shock obsorber with the salmon bungee.

#11 ·
I don't understand. I use braded line with a ultra tight drag and the rod almost flat to the water, want the fish on the reel asap. When the fish hits and shakes its head or turns, I want the hooks to get buried immediately. This seems to work as my hook up % is quite high. This salmon bungee goes the opposite direction of what I want. It gives you lots of give in the line. Have you ever stripped out 30-40 yards of mono, had somebody take the rod and give it a really good jerk while you hold the other end, I have. You will be really suprised at the very small amount of force that is actually transmitted to the hook, especially with mono. If you have never done this try it, you will be amazed. Can somebody please explain the logic of this salmon bungee, what am I missing here? :shrug:

[ 11-27-2003, 09:47 AM: Message edited by: fishbait ]

#13 ·
I don't understand. I use braded line with a ultra tight drag and the rod almost flat to the water, want the fish on the reel asap.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">What Fishbait pretty much sums it up as far as my quickie fishing is concerned ... We aren't kokanee fishing here are we :shrug:

#17 ·
I dunno how they miss them, but some days, they do.

we missed a springer this year that took at least 10 yards off a very stiff drag before I even got to the rod. Owner hooks were perfectly sharp, swing and a miss. How I missed that fish just baffles me. But I sure did.

The bungie could help, I would think a quicker correction would be to loosen the drag until it barely holds under the pressure of the plug. Then when you get a bite, let the fish turn before sticking it to them.

I know a guide who fishes this way all the time. Works pretty well for him.

Some days you are the windshield....

Mark and the can't get em all dog.

#18 ·
I think this conversation will go on as long as people use quick fish. It is a constant source of coversation as to how to get more fish landed for each strike. Some days its like 6/8 and you think you're pretty smart, some days it's 1/8 and you're ready to throw away your program and try something else. Change hooks, split rings, swivels, tight drag, loose drag......

I can say that I think converting the strikes in a drift boat is tougher than a sled IMO. Current speed has alot to do with it.

Maybe the bungee gives until they hit the end of the shock cord, then jams the hooks.

Thanks for the input Marty. I don't think there will ever be a final conclusion on this. Kind of you to share what works for you.

PS: Did you try them on the Nush?

#19 ·
Originally posted by fishbait:
Can somebody please explain the logic of this salmon bungee, what am I missing here? :shrug:
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">i guess a stupid way to explain would be like this, the salmon bugee will extend to 3 feet before the braided line inside of it becomes tight, so, take a peice of the braided line you use and cut off a 3 foot peice and tie a hook on it and then tie a hook directly to the end of a salmon bungee, now hook both hooks into somthing solid and give them both a good jerk to set them, to do this you have to fully extend the salmon bungee, now, with your line tight and the salmon bungee tight (fully extended), walk closer to what the hooks are hooked into, you will see that your line goes limp but the salmon bungee still has tension holding the hook in until you get about a foot away, now imagine a fish shaking its head, your non bungee line will go limp but there is constant pull with the salmon bungee and that will equal less lost fish due to having constant pressure holding the hook in.

#20 ·
Boater,

Thanks for the insight. So do you feel that your hooks are set/buried just a deep in the fishes mouth with the bungee compared to no bungee? I guess that with my braded line it would give me some additional shock absorbing capacity for the head shakes. My concern is/was that it could have an impact on how deep the hooks (barb) got buried. As you pointed out, once the bungee is fully extended and the internal line is tight, for that period of time the bungee action is no longer in the equation. My initial thoughts were kind of tied to Kokanee fishing where these are common and used to prevent the hooks from pulling our of their soft mouths. I know that people have used these in the Astoria fishery also. After hearing Marty's comments I think I will do some additional inquiries. It's like Bill Herzog says... none of us knows more that all of us.......... FB

#22 ·
Originally posted by fishbait:
So do you feel that your hooks are set/buried just a deep in the fishes mouth with the bungee compared to no bungee?
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">i dont think there is a diference myself.

i use them with 20 mono main and 25 mono leader, and i use a light drag with razor sharp hooks, that setup worked great for me at astoria this year.

#23 ·
I dont know maybe your rods are to spongy. I use 65lb tuff line 40lb ultra green leader and a 7ft6 15 to 50 fast taper rod when they lay my rod out they are stuck good.

is it possible your moving down river to rapid for them to get a good yank on the rod? I tell anyone in the front of my boat to wait untill the reel is smoking to even touch it.
the only time I have a problem with them not sticking is if I am in a hole with a bunch of dark fish in it along with bright fish. the ******* seem to be a little less agresive on the bite to me.

another thing I do is when I see a rod starting to fold I pull back on the oars hard and keep pulling back hard untill line is flat smoking off my reel.

I have a pretty good hook up to boat ratio the last trip I went this fall I went 4 for 4 and off the water by 10:30 I fished some friends that had never fished much the trip before that and watched them farm off 5 chrome bright beauties that would have been in the box if they knew what they were doing but then again thats why its called fishing instead of catching. dont know if anything I said will help you out but thats how I do it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.