IFish Fishing Forum banner

Columbia closes to chinook below Bonneville

17K views 84 replies 36 participants last post by  joe_camo 
#1 Ā·
#6 Ā·
Glad I made it out today in my buddies boat. First try for Fallies this year and picked up a little cookie cutter at Davis bar.
Saw many many (lost count) fish bonked today. Same guy has limited the last two days.
Figures they are closing it as the catch rate has been significant.

#9 Ā·
I might bet that the return is as good or better than pre season estimates.

It's usually pretty simple- When there's fish around, folks catch em. If they caught fish, it's because they were there.

Time will tell.

#27 Ā·
Gonna be the first time in a long time I didn't wobble one up.

Maybe they will reopen if dam counts are good enough.

#29 Ā· (Edited)
I posted this on another thread, but this thread is probably more appropriate. Personally, I still think the numbers are flawed. I'd like to see the math. What is the equation(s) used for for their impact data? Maybe there has been a link posted in the past with this report and I've missed it. I think a LOT of us have empirical data based on what we see or observe at the ramp and on the river. There are natural ebbs and flows in fish schools and just because yesterday it was a blood bath of fish caught...the next few days can be a significant dry spell.

Where is the math and the data? I'm really sick and tired of the smoke and mirrors that fish and game departments are using. Show me the proof; show me the data; show me the equation. If this is indeed a public department, that data should be publicly available. Maybe it is, but it sure is not listed or linked in the press releases.

*stepping down from soap box now...*

-J

#30 Ā·
Not happy they were in a position that they had to close it.

Am happy they left coho open.

#34 Ā·
Is it just me? I feel like if the boundary was up around the tip of bachelor instead of warrior rock we would still be fishing ? Its apparent to me one fishery is crushing our quota!:palm:

#35 Ā·
Hard to say Mike. The fleet would just shift up river and crush away near the areas close to some of our less pressured Honey [emoji518] Holes...Also just think, a lot of folks stayed in the Estuary based on the low expectations for Chinook. It could of even been worse as far as boat traffic and even more fish caught....Iā€™m not sure there is something special about the deadline except maybe itā€™s the fishā€™s first exposure to lures/spinners since the Estuary....also maybe on the flood the cooler Lewis river water pushes up and helps spark a bite.
?????
I think the Bonny fishery takes its fair share of fish to...I believe the guide fleet pretty much works the deadline or Bonny with mainly private guys in the in between areas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#41 Ā· (Edited)
I think the cool water from the lewis has a lot to do with it. Plus those are a lot of lewis river fish that stack in there. Ive easily seen over 50 fish caught in t in a 30min span. It does not seem fair to the folks that fish upriver. Davis, camas, bonny, ect. The guides are crushing fish every single day. Last year we got till the 12th. This year the 5th. Whats next? No time at all in sept? Of coarse it could all be solved by getting k-nets off the river. We do pay all the bills. But...once again we get the shaft!:palm: But theres another thread for that. :flag2: . Still very frustrating.

#36 Ā·
We could all put our pro trolls away and just troll spinners. ?????make it more of a challenge ...[emoji3] I prefer naked but hard to compete with the skateboards. They work good

Like I said before and some disagree the pro trolls have definitely turned the Deadzone into the HOT zone....Hot bites equal more boats, more positive posts, more social media, more boats equal more dead wild kings

I think other methods would work like they have in the past but not like skateboards.

#46 Ā·
Yeah more fish needed but that also means More fish intercepted by the northern fleet. They had cutbacks up there but a small percentage.

It Definitely would be nice to see more clippers in the URB department. SABā€™s to.
Seemed to be plenty of clipped Tules around the Estuary although!!!!

#47 Ā·
Unfortunately our fall chinook seasons are starting to follow along the lines of springer fishing. Next year we could be shut down even earlier. We can count on the lower river being closed during the best parts of the run. Similar to CR Springers right????? Just a lot pressure on Chinook. Every one wants a piece of [emoji3050].
I do NOT disagree with these closures either. We need to make escapement....Yes itā€™s up setting (early closures) but letā€™s just hope plenty get by the upper nets, dams, eastern pro trollers, eastern lions and hit the gravel

#48 Ā·
SABs are done. They are going away from the Rogue stock and don't have a replacement stock last I heard. I only caught a couple of those fish this year. Pretty sad, that was a great strain that provided opportunity for sports and quality for commercials.

We need more fish, period.

I'd rather divide up a few million with the various commercial fleets, than fight over impacts on a few hundred thousand.

#49 Ā·
Please donā€™t forget that 2015-2017 were some of the most unproductive ocean years seen. Raise all the fish you want but the ocean was a desert and could not and would not support that biomass. 2018 and 2019 were/are better but we are still in an unproductive ocean cycle. The fact that we have some coho (I hope the 600k+ to the CR) shows that ocean conditions is the major factor. Chinook are 2 years behind and I believe the jack count could show an increase for next year. BUT...we are not out of the El NiƱo and a blob 2.0 has been observed. The ocean is changing and it looks like not for the best.

Clam

#52 Ā·
Before Wrestlemania 729 comes to blows over methods vs hatch fish vs more fish, lets go to 8th grade biology.

Populations are as good as the weakest link. No matter if they die in freshwater due to a zillion possible factors, or the estuary, or the ocean, or harvest gets more and more efficient in using allocation. Dead is dead. You are only as good as the weakest link.

What we need is better habitat, less harvest, more smolts, better ocean conditions.

Until we see another solar burst from the sun to hammer earth with radiation (My favorite excuse of why fish populations were so strong for a while), things will cycle. Maybe we should dump a MOAB in the sun every year or two to get the returns we all want.

#54 Ā·
Seems California hatchery Kings are surviving or is it just dumb luck with migration habits in better conditions??
I donā€™t really follow the Sac or Klamath but isnā€™t it good down there this year. ??? I believe Cali has an aggressive hatchery program in place?????

Losing SABs is horrible as far as back home goes. Terrible terrible
Whatā€™s next?!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.