www.ifish.net - View Single Post - For your information. Some thoughts to ponder...
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2005, 09:13 PM   #41
Stew

Default Re: at the least be informed

Quote:
Stew,

not too long ago, your view on broodstock fish was a 180 degree opposite from where you appear to be today. You were all about losing the Alsea fish, and replacing them with BS fish.

I wonder what your opinion will be in 4 years--------------------------

Rob Allen thanks for another entertaining post. between you and Hustlerjim, I will be forever entertained. Thanks.

Mark and the dog.
You are absolutely right Mark and I even collected a few for the program. I am still all about losing the Alsea stock.
I have since taken the time to educate myself Mark that is what has changed. One question though Mark....is that all you have to add to this discussion? Is the fact that I've changed my stance and rob entertains you the best you can do? Everyone else has made some very good input here.
Instead of buying into this "pie in the sky" that the ODFW and other "used to be conservation groups" promote with out question, I dug a little deeper.
Of course broodstock fish are better than out of basin fish! I've always said that. I guess it's just a matter of how much better they really are
It comes right down to the undisputed fact that broodstock fish are still hatchery fish, raised in a hatchery environment, fed by hand and therefore they have the embedded characteristics of a hatchery fish.
Travis I appreciate your civil response to what we are talking about here. I could look in the archives and show where you have stated that since the inception of native broodstock programs you have noted a marked increase in the number of returning wild fish. You applauded that as proof that the inter-breeding of the two fish (wild/returning broodstock) is a good thing.
So that aside I could live with the broodstock programs if the returning fish were kept in the lower river and not allowed, using the Wilson as an example, above let's say MP15. They are not though and from what I understand they are actually planted as high up as the South Fork.
Now correct me if I'm wrong about that but that is what I was told by an area fish bio.
I know that there must be a harvestable fish for those who want to take a steelhead home to eat. That is just a fact of life but the way they manage those hatchery fish is the key and letting them go all the way up the river to mingle with wild spawning fish is not a good idea.
Could we agree on that?

Page generated in 0.10920 seconds with 14 queries