IFish Fishing Forum banner

Fuel/Oil Buildup Under 2 Stroke Cowling

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  I'd rather fish 
#1 ·
Two part question

I've got an 8 hp 2 stroke Mercury outboard that seems wet under the cowling to me. This is my first outboard ever so I don't have a lot of experience with outboards. I've had this motor for about 3 years.
I use it on my drift boat. When going to and from the river I lay it flat in the bed of my pickup. Today I noticed the seal on the bottom of the cowling stretching and pulling loose, it's saturated in oil. The underside of the cowling is also wet with oil. Is this from transporting it on it's side?

Not as important but would like input. I purchased a 2001 17x54 Willies DB a couple years ago. I called Willies and got a noncommittal answer if it was ok to tow the boat with the outboard attached. How many of you tow your driftboats with the motor attached.

Thanks in advance.

#5 ·
I was laying it with the handle side up as to not damage the handle. I was told that in doing so I have the carb side down and it is allowing it to drain into the cowling.

Engine degreaser and secure it to the boat.

Thanks guys for confirming my thoughts about the motor being transported on the boat.

#4 ·
Besides the bow, the transom on a drift boat is the toughest part of the boat. As others have said, just leave the motor attached (well) for the drive home.

Cheers, CopperMan.

#7 ·
In addition to the advice already given, check the oil reservoir, oil injection pump, and all of the lines. I had an injection pump go bad years ago and pressure from the reservoir would force oil past the pump, through the carbs, and out the exhaust while the boat was just sitting. Remedied by bypassing the pump and emptying the reservoir. Just ran premix fuel after that. There are other fixes, but involves replacing the oil injection pump which wasn't cheap years ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.