www.ifish.net - View Single Post - Brisket
Thread: Brisket
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2014, 07:49 PM   #14
mustang
Fry

Default Re: Brisket

Brisket is just as much attitude as it BBQ or Smoked Meat. I've been to a gazillion BBQs serving brisket (hey, the U.S. Gov't says I'm and old fart, so I've had the time). The featured recipe is one to try--I'm gonna! B U T if you're just a small family cook, maybe even an empty nester, and you don't have an elaborate smoker, or maybe even a BBQ you can easily enjoy flavorful brisket.

The local supermarket can supply a brisket--probably in the meat case--of about 4 - 7 pounds (you aren't trying to feed all of your office mates, just your family.

It's simple: Lay out two sheets of Heavy Duty aluminum foil--90 degrees to each other--that will wrap the brisket you bought and seal it TIGHTLY. Lightly rub olive oil all over the surface you're looking at and cover it well with your rub (we'll get to what is in the rub in a second).

Oh, you did start pre-heating your oven at 325 before you started this, right. Glad you're thinking ahead.

Flip your brisket over and do the same thing to the other side. You remembered to trim the fat to about 1/4 inch and the fat side is up when you're through, right. Good. Now you seal up the foil--SEAL IT! Turn it ninety degrees and seal it again--you don't want the juices running out of the package.

Put the package of rubbed and sealed brisket into a baking pan or on a jellyroll pan and stick into the preheated oven for 5-6 hours. If you like BBQ sauce on your meat you can open the package for about a half hour extra and cover with sauce. Otherwise, serve the sauce on the side.

RUBS

A rub is nothing more than a combination of dry spices (they store very well in well sealed jars) that you sprinkle or rub into meat that you're going to cook. If your favorite BBQ place sells the rub you like spend a few bucks and forget the hassle. If you haven't found a combo of spices that light your fire experiment--add some extra of this or not as much as that....You get the picture. By the way, most rubs add flavor to ALL meats. Go L I G H T L Y on fish until you know you like the flavor. It's easy to add, but a bummer to try and subtract.

Here a couple rub recipes to get you started if you don't already have one you like. (Ever try teaching a course to PHd candidates you had to treat like freshman?)

1 cup brown sugar
5 Tbsp Kosher salt
5 Tbsp Garlic Powder
5 Tbsp Mustard Powder
2 Tbsp ground cumin
1 Tbsp Cinnamon
5 Tbsp Paprika
5 Tbsp Chile powder
5 Tbsp Ground Red Pepper
Fresh ground pepper to taste

ALL spices to taste--I have to leave out the red pepper and cut the chilie powder to less than one tbsp of chile powder or my bride (over 45 years) can't eat it. ADJUST where you need or want to. Does anyone really need all that salt?

Another Rub:

2 tbsp smoked paprika
2 tbsp salt
2 tbsp packed brown sugar
2 tbsp black pepper
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp red pepper
2 tbsp salt

Hope this helps. Most of all, ENJOY
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.35476 seconds with 14 queries