IFish Fishing Forum banner

Fermented Cranberries

5K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  shanem 
#1 ·
I took this recipe from Grow Forage Cook Ferment blog but this is the second year I’ve made these and they are fantastic and wanted to share...

Fermented Cranberries

This recipe makes about one quart of fermented goodness.
* 12 ounce bag of whole cranberries
* juice from 2 tangerines or 1 orange
* hunk of ginger, grated
* 2 Tbsp raw honey or maple syrup
* 1 Tbsp brine (from another ferment) or whey (optional)
* 1/2 tsp salt (Himalayan or non-iodized)
* 1 cinnamon stick
* 3 whole cloves
* unchlorinated water

First you want to smash up the cranberries a bit to burst their skins a bit. You can pulse them in a food processor a couple of times if you wish, but I like to be hands on so I mashed them up with a potato masher. This will result in mostly whole berries, which I like, but do it however you like it. The idea is to try to “pop” most of the berries.

Then add the brine from another ferment or whey. Whey is the clear liquid that comes from yogurt or milk kefir. Basically, fermented brine or whey is added to help the whole process get going a little quicker. Don’t worry if you don’t have any, it will work anyways, it just might take a few days longer. Anyways, add the brine or whey if you have it, salt, cinnamon stick, cloves, and grated ginger to the jar. Then juice the orange into the jar and add the honey.

Fill the jar with unchlorinated water, leaving about 1 inch of head space. Cover with a lid and shake to get everything incorporated. Then uncover and put in the weight. This little weight is really handy to have, as you need to keep everything under the brine when you ferment in order to prevent mold. Cranberries are especially floaty. Let it sit in a dark location around 60-75 degree temp for about 10 days. Scoop out, drizzle with a bit of honey and enjoy.

They are good just as a snack or in a salad too. Not too bitter not to sweet either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

See less See more
#3 ·
I typically let mine ferment for about 10 days on the counter then put them into the fridge.

#9 ·
Interesting. I make homemade kraut as well, never thought about adding some cranberries and apple but that would make a good combination. I will have to give that a try next thanksgiving.

#11 ·
Just started a batch fermenting so they will be ready in time for Thanksgiving.

#12 ·
Just started a batch in prep for Thanksgiving. The recipe above says 10 days which comes out fine but I’ve been experimenting and doing 3 weeks ferment then put it in the fridge seems to be even better. At lot more of the bitterness is gone with the extra week of fermenting. I also put in a little yeast (small pinch) to help the ferment along, not enough to turn it boozy but just to kick start it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.