IFish Fishing Forum banner

Easy Rider

690 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  1pump 
#1 ·
Easy rider, Peter Fonda died today after a battle with lung cancer. He kind of had a cult following for a while. I thought he was a good actor and Easy Rider was a good movie, if not great! RIP Capt.

#2 ·
Yup. He was a good actor. RIP Peter.
But not as great as his daddy. IMHO. Watch "Once upon a time in the west". With Charles Bronson I believe.
Another great actor.
But "Easy rider was a great movie. Along with the OTHER easy rider Dennis Hopper. Also dead in 2010, of prostate cancer. :(
Saw it the first time in summer of 69. Great summer. Think I saw "Kelly's Hero's" that summer too.
And I went out on the big pond the very first time. In an 18 ft fiberglass. Puking sick the whole time. But all 4 of us got our limits, in just a coupla hours. Silvers were thick and big that year.
Sorry. I re-posted before I saw yours. :shrug:

#5 ·
The whole Fonda family has a lot of controversy in their lives. Some self imposed, some not. Any way you cut it tho, they were pretty darn good actors. Henry starred in a movie titled “Sometimes A Great Notion”, about a logging family on the Oregon coast. Paul Newman in it too. Love that movie. Jane Fonda in “Barbraella” and Cat Ballou” were great but Jane had her own problems Peter seemed to have a more relaxed take on life. Iconic star and man.

#7 ·
Yup "Sometimes a great notion", or "never give an inch", was a great movie.
Filmed largely on the Siletz river.
One of my unc's was in the crowd on the bank cheering Paul Newman on, when he towed the log raft down. With Henry Fonda's arm attached to the mast, doing the middle finger salute.
Cat Ballou" Was most excellent too. Think ol' Lee Marvin did some of his best ever acting there. Playing 2 parts. He pretty much out showed Jane Fonda. Cept for perdy.
But she kinda made herself an enemy of the state, in a lot of peoples eye's. Back during the Nam thing. :doh:
And Peter? Think his hey day was Easy Rider. Great movie.
Just my :twocents:.
Yep, my mistake. It was “Never Give A Inch”. Based on the book “Sometimes a Great Notion”.

#8 ·
Yep, my mistake. It was “Never Give A Inch”. Based on the book “Sometimes a Great Notion”.
No biggy. They changed the title sometime during filming.
Because it made better headlines. :wink:
Good film either way.
Pretty well realistically made, considering the times and the dire straits of the timber and lumber industries partial demise. Then came the spotted owl.
Don't ask me how I know.
I'll talk your leg off. :D

#9 ·
Peter Fonda was also in Ulee's Gold. I thought it was an excellent movie. Involved rare honey in FL and family dynamics. He is really good in it. In the early 70's when I was bumming around HI and Guam surfing I would always hear stories about the fun and games on Peter's sailboat. Sounded like a blast at the time. He and Dennis Hopper knew how to enjoy!

#10 ·
Ulee's Gold was a great movie. I tried watching Easy Rider recently but I couldn't get into it at all. The acting was good, the cinematography good (for the time) but the sound was crap and so was the screenplay, IMHO.

I was a grade school kid when it was released, and I've seen it a couple times over the years. It was cutting edge for '69 but movies have improved so dramatically since then that it now looks like an cheap indie production. :twocents:

The Limey
was a good one, if you like his later work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.