IFish Fishing Forum banner

Momma Tree Swallow-- so tame!

7K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Jennie@ifish 
#1 ·
This Mother is SO tame! I was one foot away from her, snapping pics!

It's difficult to capture the true colors. They look so much like violet greens, but they have more white above the eye.

Jen

See less See more
#2 ·
She is so cute, and SO curious. I love the way she sits and cocks her head in wacky angles to look at me. It's like she's saying, "What do you want? Who are you? What are you doing? Where is your nest? GO SIT ON IT, WOMAN!"

:smile:

#4 ·
Agnus it is! She DOES seem like an Agnus... Or Margarette.... but I think Agnus will do!

Jen

#6 ·
yeah, I know... Half the time I was close up, I wondered if tree swallows attack!:bigshock:

#7 ·
I think they do attack. Every spring, there's dozens of them nesting where I work. They like the old outbuildings and the concrete piers on the river. Some of them always nest under an awning that we have to use frequently. They dive at our heads when we're under it. Scares the crap out of people if they're not expecting it.

#9 ·
One pair likes the brick work of our front porch for nest building. Year after year they're back producing a brood or two. I often wonder if it's the same pair all these years. Or if one of the parents dies, will the offspring claim the territory?

I think we've got about 20 swallow boxes put up for them, and littler houses for the wrens.

#10 ·
Isn't it fun? I just love the summer birds. So much activity I can't get anything done but stare at them!

(And take a couple pics here and there!)

Jen

#11 ·
The wife and I were bassing the Willamette on Thursday and went under a gangway to a dock, there was a swallow's nest with a mother sitting in/on it. I was amazed, our heads were three feet from her and she just sat there and tilted her head back and forth like you're saying!

Smj

#12 ·
Every year I love to look at the nests those little guys make on the Clackamas.Right out in front of Tomans place it looks like a small city they built on the clay walls.It's fun to pull divers below them and watch them fly to and from,Just watch out for the white rain drops :shocked:

Cool pics Jen.I think I'll go snap some shots of my feathered friends and share them here.

RR.

#13 ·
I'm just sick. I found a tree swallow dead in the yard, and no Mother in the box, all day.
But, there is a juvenile in there flying in and out and another tree swallow who keeps coming by and singing alot. I wonder if it's her mate?
I wonder what could have happened?
It's way away from anywhere a cat could get it. I made sure of that last year and moved it.
Jen

#14 ·
Stunning irredescent(sp? blue! I love to see blue in nature because it's not very common.
I hope it wasn't Nile virus from a mosquito bite that killed her!
Thanks for sharing! I love nature! I call it Gods natural therapist. :cheers:

#15 ·
I know, regarding blue. :laugh:
Now think about it... Is there any food that is truly blue, either?

Blueberries are purple.

Can someone name a food that is blue? Really BLUE?

Jen

#17 ·
Sorry about your Tree Swallow :depressed:

It inspired me to write this last night.

And where do all the little birds go?

So tired
My heart beats fast and my days are few and too quick
I seems difficult to control this direction I am now headed
Like a child running downhill too fast I panic as I trip
In that moment I think of things I could have done better but could never change
Would not change

My children play happily behind me now, out of view
I have taught them well but they do not understand that I am falling
They continue with their lives
I can hear them
I am happy for them

The earth is cold in its embrace
Rough and damp, alien from the sky and trees of my life
I already miss the wind and freedom that I have always known
That only minutes before I didn’t understand, but now do
I don’t want to be here but in this stillness is another peace

I am refreshed, if only for a moment by this touch and then it is gone

#18 ·
That's beautiful! Thanks for sharing that! :smile:
The Mom's children are taking over the nest boxes like mad!

I don't know really that it was the Mother that was in the box, and I don't think I want to know!

It could be just that the Mother was ready to leave the nest! I hope so!

Jen

#19 ·
GUESS WHO SHOWED UP THIS MORNING?

WHOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

The swallows are here! The swallows are here!

They showed up just this morning! I walked out on my deck and it nearly made me cry. It is so odd! They seem to show up each year when the cherry tree blooms! They were just flying around, swooping me! I was laughing and crying and they are just hovering around me!

I love watching the birds come each spring! I just love it!
They are so cute! I swear that they know me, now!

OK, I'm weird. Over and out!
Jen

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.