IFish Fishing Forum banner

Mark Yano.updated: Memorial/Potluck Oct 15th

57K views 66 replies 48 participants last post by  roguesteelheader 
#1 · (Edited)
Today we lost a great friend of NW salmon fishing. Mark Yano passed away this morning about 11:30 from a two year battle with cancer. He battled it and lived like he had it beat, fishing and hunting with friends as much as his time and his condition allowed. :applause: Although treatment was tough at times, we should all be so lucky to live the way he lived the last couple of years of his life.

If you fish Pautzke's Fire Cure, you can thank Mark for it. The secret base recipe is his and he helped develop the final product. Every good egg fisherman who's anyone around these parts knows of Mark and would have given his right hand to get his left hand on some "Yano Cure" or better yet, Yano cured eggs. Mark was known for being maticulous about his bait and how he fished it.

**There will be a memorial gathering/potluck here in Tillamook Oct 15th. Everyone is invited. Held at Swiss Hall on 3rd st. @ 6:30PM. Bring a dish and your favorite beverage. Even a pizza or bucket of "Colonol Sanders".

We'll miss you Mark !

Chris V.

Water Smile Sleeve Fisherman Fish

Click on pic !

X

See less See more
#31 ·
Re: Mark Yano

I believe the greatest compliment you can pay someone, is to say they will be missed.

Mark Yano will be missed.

Everyone who knows me, knows that for most of my adult life I have been a pasionate salmon fisherman, always trying to learn more, develop better tecniques, and always showing tremendous respect for these magnificent animals.

I owe all of that, to Mark Yano.

After moving to Oregon in 1978, I played a bit at salmon and steelhead fishing, but never had much success. I would try and fail and never understood the real joy that comes from this obsession. In the mid 80's a friend of a friend introduced me to Mark Yano. He invited my to join him on a drift boat trip down the Trask on a bright, chilly Fall day. That was the end of my indifference to salmon fishing. His intensity, passion, and childish enthusiasm for his sport was like a drug for me. I wanted more. For the next few years a fished often with Mark, in the spring and the fall at the coast, and other spots as well. He was a willing teacher, laughing at me at one point and saying, "I have nothing to worry about, it will take you 15 years to be a threat to me!" This feuled my passion even more, and I soaked up his vast knowledge of reading water, boatmanship, backbouncing skill, and most of all, his bait secrets. As the years went on I fished less with Mark, as I tried to establish my own identity as a salmon fisherman, but never lost my respect for him as a man, or my admiration for him as a true master of his world. When I would see Mark on the river, he would always flash that huge Hawiian smile, say "Hey Marko" and tell me a lie about the contents of his box. As the next 15 years went by I reaped the benefits from my "Yano" education, but I am sure I never became a threat to him on the river.

As I have continued to fish and pass on my knowledge to others, to teach my son the subtle ways of the salmon, it is always Mark's lessons I am teaching.

Mark Yano will live on in my fondest memories.

The passion and intensity with which he lived, is how I try to live.

His relentless efforts to be better at his skill, to be the best, is the pattern for life I have taught my children.

I owe Mark Yano a lot.

He will be missed........

#36 ·

That is too bad.. Mark always gave a helpful tip if you asked; the times I ran in to him at fishermans.. last cast fellow fisherman..

Braden

#38 ·

So Sorry to hear Mark passed. He will be missed for sure. What a great guy. I fished around Mark for years; he was without a doubt one hell of a river fisherman. I am super glad that Mark was able to spend a week this last spring chinook season fishing with my dad. He knew he had very little time left and spent a whole week being guided around and whacking a bunch of coast springers. He said good bye one last time to us then. Mark was blessed to have some great friends in this world.

I am sure he is up above fishing the rivers of heaven. I am sure he anchoring on the perfect seam and is getting a bite right now while I am typing this and probably again while you are reading it.

#40 ·

Great story Scott, thanks for sharing......I have fond memories of Mark also at FM. RIP Mark hope you found the perfect drift up above!

So Sorry to hear Mark passed. He will be missed for sure. What a great guy. I fished around Mark for years; he was without a doubt one hell of a river fisherman. I am super glad that Mark was able to spend a week this last spring chinook season fishing with my dad. He knew he had very little time left and spent a whole week being guided around and whacking a bunch of coast springers. He said good bye one last time to us then. Mark was blessed to have some great friends in this world.

I am sure he is up above fishing the rivers of heaven. I am sure he anchoring on the perfect seam and is getting a bite right now while I am typing this and probably again while you are reading it.

#41 ·

I've been trying to find the words since Mark's passing to share that properly reflect the man I knew. I'm resigned to the fact that no words I have will adequately do that. Many others have done far better than I in capturing who Mark was and what he meant to so many of us.

I knew Mark for 30 years, he was always good to me, always upbeat, always friendly and always cared about the sport and fish we pursued and loved. Mark was so much more than a great fisherman --- he made an indelible impression on me in how to approach life and living. When we talked I was the only person in the room, he always gave his full attention, was quick with that Yano smile and never let anything get him down. That was the Mark Yano I knew --- great fisherman, of course, but more than that a rare and wonderful person. God bless Mark Yano.

#42 ·

That was the Mark Yano I knew --- great fisherman, of course, but more than that a rare and wonderful person. God bless Mark Yano.
:agree: I did not know Mark as well as some of you but when you are remembered for who you are as a person you have lived well. RIP Mark

#43 · (Edited)

There will be a Potluck/Crown Royal Memorial event in celebration of Mark's life on friday Oct 15th. Everyone is invited ! It will be held at Swiss Hall in Tillamook on 3rd st next to the fairgrounds...6:30 pm. Everyone is encouraged to bring a dish or a Pizza, bucket of chicken or whatever you can muster up. Also, bring your own drinks, be it alcohol or not. Crown Royal was Marks favorite "celebratory" so that will be appropriate too. Also, we will be auctioning off bags of Yano Cure to help with expenses.

Bill Hof is working on getting a discounted group rate at the MarClair Hotel for people wanting to stay the night.

Please pass the word, so as no friends or aquaintances of Mark's get left out.

Any questions, email Bill Hof ( or myself ) at billhof@johnlscott.com or call 503-799-8485

Hope to see you all there.

Chris V.

#47 ·
Re: Mark Yano...... updated: Memorial/Potluck

Thanks for the info Chris. Good timing. Looks like a number of us will be in town for the Salmon Hawg Invitational Tournament that week. If I remember correctly Marks team won last year.:applause::flowered:

#49 ·
Re: Mark Yano...... updated: Memorial/Potluck

I miss my friend......:( Yano was more than a great fisherman, He was a dear friend to me and many others. He touched my life in ways that changed me as a person. He tought me what a friend was supposed to be and helped me become what hope is a better human being. Most people know Mark for his fishing ability, and that goes without saying.....He is someone i will always look up to and think about with the utmost respect. I miss you my friend.....rest in peace.....thank you for everything!!!! and save some biters for me when I get there!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.