IFish Fishing Forum banner

Northwest Steelheaders thread

439K views 344 replies 67 participants last post by  judyfish99 
#1 Ā·
The Association of Northwest Steelheaders

iFish would like to welcome the Northwest Steelheaders. The Northwest Steelheaders have been working for fish for the past 50 years, securing several victories in conservation. This is a place for members to post meeting dates and times, events and activities, or for folks to get their questions answered. Please visit their website to find out more about the organization."

#2 Ā· (Edited)
Will Work For Fish

Will Work For Fish
Joe Domenico -- President
Association of Northwest Steelheaders

Ifishers! It has never been a better time to be a Northwest Steelheader! After celebrating our 50th anniversary last year, we dedicated ourselves to ensuring the organization remains successful for the next 50 years by focusing our fish advocacy campaigns, increasing and diversifying our fundraising efforts, expanding our youth education programs, increasing our membership benefits, expanding our fun fishing events, and maximizing board, staff and volunteer participation.

Steelheaders are anglers who are dedicated to improving sport fishing opportunities! We love to fish and want to give back to and help support the resource that gives us so much enjoyment. In our 50-year history, the Association of Northwest Steelheaders have had many accomplishments which have significantly improved sport fishing; including banning high seas drift nets to end the practice of ocean strip mining off Pacific Coast shores, obtaining fish protection language in the Northwest Power Act, passage of stream-side riparian buffer zone rules, removing Steelhead from commercial fisheries, protecting the public right to access waterways, passing in-stream water rights law to provide minimum stream flows, and educating thousands of Oregon children annually -- on the beauty, wonder and importance of salmon and their habitats.

Volunteerism is one of the Steelheaders greatest strengths -- with members contributing tens of thousands of volunteer hours annually in education, habitat restoration, propagation and monitoring. We work closely with local, state and federal government. We recognize that government can and often does have other agendas, and that natural resources agencies do make mistakes; however, we know that working with government is a much more effective means of achieving positive results than always working against it. There are times we have no choice but to go to court against our government to protect fish, but we also work in close cooperation with natural resource agencies whenever possible.

Steelheaders current campaigns and projects include SAFE for Salmon legislation to move commercial gillnets off the mainstem Columbia River to Select Area Fisheries Enhancement areas; expanding the Fish Eggs to Fry program to schools throughout Oregon; advocating for a balanced, sustainable approach to Oregon state forest management and permanent conservation areas on state forests; protecting the budgets of state and federal natural resources agencies; creating an Oregon-wide stream nutrient enhancement program; protecting the incredible salmon runs of Bristol Bay, AK; improving public access to waterways; and protecting water flows in the Upper Deschutes River, among others.

We have created this thread on Ifish to keep the public informed of our efforts to improve sportfishing in Oregon and Washington, to invite you to our many fun and educational fishing events held throughout the year, and to encourage a constructive dialogue with our membership.

For more information on all things Steelheaders, check out our website at www.nwsteelheaders.org, our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/NorthwestSteelheaders, and check back often to this thread.

Now. Please... fish on!

Posted by Association of Northwest Steelheaders Secretary, Benjamin Light

Reactions: PhlySwinger
#17 Ā·
Re: Will Work For Fish

I've wanted to join this organization for quite some time, but after I looked for a chapter in Central Oregon, I could not find any info. Is there a chapter in CO or what would be the next closest chapter. I suppose the link you provided has this info, but honestly I'm being lazy and hoping for an insiders view, with a readers digest summary of what I can expect with a membership. I've heard good things about this group, hence the reason I'd like to join and ask. Thanks in advance.

Will Work For Fish
Joe Domenico -- President
Association of Northwest Steelheaders

Ifishers! It has never been a better time to be a Northwest Steelheader! After celebrating our 50th anniversary last year, we dedicated ourselves to ensuring the organization remains successful for the next 50 years by focusing our fish advocacy campaigns, increasing and diversifying our fundraising efforts, expanding our youth education programs, increasing our membership benefits, expanding our fun fishing events, and maximizing board, staff and volunteer participation.

Steelheaders are anglers who are dedicated to improving sport fishing opportunities! We love to fish and want to give back to and help support the resource that gives us so much enjoyment. In our 50-year history, the Association of Northwest Steelheaders have had many accomplishments which have significantly improved sport fishing; including banning high seas drift nets to end the practice of ocean strip mining off Pacific Coast shores, obtaining fish protection language in the Northwest Power Act, passage of stream-side riparian buffer zone rules, removing Steelhead from commercial fisheries, protecting the public right to access waterways, passing in-stream water rights law to provide minimum stream flows, and educating thousands of Oregon children annually -- on the beauty, wonder and importance of salmon and their habitats.

Volunteerism is one of the Steelheaders greatest strengths -- with members contributing tens of thousands of volunteer hours annually in education, habitat restoration, propagation and monitoring. We work closely with local, state and federal government. We recognize that government can and often does have other agendas, and that natural resources agencies do make mistakes; however, we know that working with government is a much more effective means of achieving positive results than always working against it. There are times we have no choice but to go to court against our government to protect fish, but we also work in close cooperation with natural resource agencies whenever possible.

Steelheaders current campaigns and projects include SAFE for Salmon legislation to move commercial gillnets off the mainstem Columbia River to Select Area Fisheries Enhancement areas; expanding the Fish Eggs to Fry program to schools throughout Oregon; advocating for a balanced, sustainable approach to Oregon state forest management and permanent conservation areas on state forests; protecting the budgets of state and federal natural resources agencies; creating an Oregon-wide stream nutrient enhancement program; protecting the incredible salmon runs of Bristol Bay, AK; improving public access to waterways; and protecting water flows in the Upper Deschutes River, among others.

We have created this thread on Ifish to keep the public informed of our efforts to improve sportfishing in Oregon and Washington, to invite you to our many fun and educational fishing events held throughout the year, and to encourage a constructive dialogue with our membership.

For more information on all things Steelheaders, check out our website at www.nwsteelheaders.org, our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/NorthwestSteelheaders, and check back often to this thread.

Now. Please... fish on!

Posted by Association of Northwest Steelheaders Secretary, Benjamin Light

#3 Ā·
Re: Northwest Steelheaders Events and Activities

I was pleased to see that Northwest Steelheaders had a full page ad in the September issue of Salmon Trout Steelheader magazine. It's been a long time since I've seen ads for the organization. I hope this ad signals that the Northwest Steelheaders are making an attempt to expand the organization. I would love to see not only more chapters in Oregon, but chapters in Washington and Idaho as well. In other words, I'd like to see the "northwest" in Northwest Steelheaders.

(And by the way I plan to respond to the ad by joining even though I live in the North Puget Sound region).

#6 Ā·

I was pleased to see that Northwest Steelheaders had a full page ad in the September issue of Salmon Trout Steelheader magazine. It's been a long time since I've seen ads for the organization. I hope this ad signals that the Northwest Steelheaders are making an attempt to expand the organization. I would love to see not only more chapters in Oregon, but chapters in Washington and Idaho as well. In other words, I'd like to see the "northwest" in Northwest Steelheaders.

(And by the way I plan to respond to the ad by joining even though I live in the North Puget Sound region).
Thanks for that note Rooselk. Earlier this year we started the Columbia River Chapter in Vancouver. I went to their meeting last night, and they really are a great group of guys that are going to do some really great things in SW WA. Our goal is hire a lobbyist for Olympia next year, and we are looking for members in WA to help us start new chapters in the state. Welcome aboard and thanks so much for your support!!!

#4 Ā·

Rooselk,

Glad to hear it!! We're glad to have you, and you're right, there is a renewed focus on expansion and revitalization.

Thank you for being a part of it.
Ben

#5 Ā·

The latest issue of the Northwest Steelheaders Online Newsletter 'The Steelhead' is now online!! Check it out!!

In this issue:
  • Salmonberry River Macroinvertebrate Monitoring: Steelheaders leading the way in river health studies in the Tillamook Forest.
  • Doug Thompson; 3 term Astoria City Councilor hired as North Coast Grassroots Organizer: Working to organize the North Coast for the Northwest Steelheaders
  • NO PEBBLE MINE: Steelheaders call upon Sen. Wyden and Merkeley to follow Senator Cantwell's plea with the EPA to stop the Pebble Mine in Bristol Bay.
  • Chapter Meeting Times, Locations, Photos from the McLoughlin Chapter's Crab-a-Long, and more.
[URL="http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs017/1105007507171/archive/1107616498889.html"]http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs017/1105007507171/archive/1107616498889.html[/URL]

#8 Ā·
Hey Everyone,

Senator Merkeley is set to make his decision this weekend regarding his support for the EPA interceding on behalf of the Bristol Bay Gold Mine. NOW IS THE TIME to contact Merkeley. If there has ever been a time more important to make your voice heard, it is now. Northwest Steelheaders members, TU members, CCA Members, everybody -- please contact Jeff Merkeley's office at 202-224-3753 and ask for his support on the Bristol Bay Gold Mine issue.

Please request that he write a letter or contact the EPA to intercede.

Thank you for your assistance in this matter.
Ben

#12 Ā·
Hey Everyone,

Senator Merkeley is set to make his decision this weekend regarding his support for the EPA interceding on behalf of the Bristol Bay Gold Mine. NOW IS THE TIME to contact Merkeley. If there has ever been a time more important to make your voice heard, it is now. Northwest Steelheaders members, TU members, CCA Members, everybody -- please contact Jeff Merkeley's office at 202-224-3753 and ask for his support on the Bristol Bay Gold Mine issue.

Please request that he write a letter or contact the EPA to intercede.

Thank you for your assistance in this matter.
Ben
Stop the Pebble mine...........

#9 Ā·
#10 Ā· (Edited)
The Northwest Steelheaders would like to make you aware of a couple of volunteer opportunities that are available this coming winter Steelhead season on a couple of our local mid-coast rivers.

Nestucca Steelhead Fishermen:

ODFW is looking for volunteers to assist in their collection of wild winter steelhead for the Broodstock Program. Interested individuals will need to complete a Condition of Volunteer Service Form, and agree to the ODFW Code of Conduct. Both of those documents are located at the link below. Simply access and print off and return to ODFW. Deadline to apply for this opportunity - End of November. So this is somewhat time sensitive.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B0qsbWd03SXLYjA2NTNiMTItMjQ0Yy00NjgxLWFkMWQtZjgyNmFmNzBmYzI3

Siletz Steelhead Fishermen:

An opportunity to assist ODFW in their broodstock program has presented itself. The Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife is looking for a few boat based fishermen to provide 6-10 Winter Steelhead broodstock pairs for their program. Before you run out and start catching Wild Winter Steelhead on the Siletz, please go to the following link, and download and print off the forms required to sign up with ODFW as broodstock collectors.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B0qsbWd03SXLYzc0OTEzOTUtNGMyZC00ZDUzLTkwZWMtODU5M2M0ZjgzNDJh

Northwest Steelheaders members -- if you participate in this program, please keep track and log your volunteer hours with your local chapter for reporting.

Cheers,
Ben

#11 Ā·
Alsea Fishermen!

There is an opportunity to help assist ODFW on the Alsea this winter as well, the Alsea hatchery needs to collect 35 breeding pairs of Wild Steelhead on the Alsea river to fulfill Broodstock program needs. Participants must have all necessary ODFW paperwork filled out prior to participation in the program.

For more information call 541-487-7240, or stop into the Alsea Hatchery for additional information.

Press Release Below:

Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife
Internet: www.dfw.state.or.us Fax: (503) 947-6009

For Immediate Release Monday, November 15, 2011
Anglers needed for wild broodstock collection project

ALSEA, Ore ā€” More anglers are needed to fish Alsea River and participate in the wild winter steelhead broodstock collection project. Collecting broodstock every year from Dec. through May helps Alsea Hatchery officials in the production of eggs and juveniles for future generations of steelhead.

ā€œThis is an important project because it creates a wild broodstock,ā€ said Alsea Hatchery Manager Matt Frank. ā€œBoth wild and hatchery broodstock help spread out the peak of the run so anglers can enjoy good fishing for a longer period of time.ā€

Volunteers must be registered, or fishing with a registered angler, to participate in the project. Individuals can register with ODFW at the Alsea Hatchery or Newport district offices, and will be required to sign a ā€œConditions of Volunteer Serviceā€ form for the State of Oregon.

Only unmarked fish will be collected. Anglers should transport collected fish in PVC fish holding tubes (fish should be placed headfirst into holding tubes) or re-circulating transport totes (supplied by the hatcheries) to a pickup site. Participants need to contact the Alsea Hatchery at 541-487-7240 immediately following their drop off.

It is highly recommended that individuals refrain from overplaying or excessively fatiguing the fish and use cotton or wool gloves to handle fish. For more information call Matt Frank at Alsea Hatchery 541-487-7240.

We'll make you aware of more needs as they become available.

Cheers,
Bulk

#14 Ā·
Fellow Steelheaders,

I want to thank those of you who called into Senator Merkleyā€™s office last month to encourage him to side with the EPA in opposition to the proposed Pebble Mine in Bristol Bay. NW Steelheaders is one of many organizations working together to save Bristol Bay (http://www.nwsteelheaders.org/ht/d/sp/i/106019/pid/106019).

Trout Unlimited is one of the leaders of this effort. Their Save Bristol Bay road show (http://www.savebristolbay.org/roadshow) is coming to Bend on Dec 2. This free event will include a documentary film, Boneyard Beer, and gear giveaways. Sign up at: http://bendsavebristolbayroadshow.eventbrite.com/

I hope to see you there.

Yancy Lind

President, Deschutes Basin Chapter, Association of NW Steelheaders

Posted for Yancy by Ben Light

#15 Ā· (Edited)
The latest issue of the Northwest Steelheaders Online Newsletter is now online!!

http://tinyurl.com/DecSteelhead

Click on the above link to check it out!

In this issue:

• Crunch Time for the Crooked River
  • Change in WDFW Budget supports Commercial Fisheries from Angler Dollars
  • Speak up to Protect Conservation Dollars in State Budgets
  • NEW Mollala River Chapter Forming!!
  • Much, Much More. Chapter meeting times, upcoming activities, ways to become involved...
Check it out!

#18 Ā·
Hey Hook and Book, thanks for your interest.

There is a chapter located in Central Oregon, called the 'Deschutes Basin Chapter'. It is located in Bend, and their meetings are quarterly at the Environmental Center on Kansas Street.

For more information on the chapter, contact President Yancy Lind at yancy_lind@ml.com.

With regards to what you can expect -- each chapter is a little bit different, but most follow a pretty standard format. The meetings offer an opportunity to get together with other steelhead and salmon fishermen. The meetings often have a guest speaker, giving a presentation of some kind on fishing techniques or conservation issues. Most meetings also include some raffle sales and gear giveaways.

Regarding the conservation issues, each region is a little bit different. Right now in Central Oregon, there are a few local issues being worked on currently -- one of which is water allocation along the Crooked River, as well as a couple of statewide campaigns, the State Forest campaign, and the Steelheaders involvement in the fight against the Pebble Mine in Bristol Bay.

The meetings are a great way to get to know other fishermen in your area, as well as get involved in both your local and statewide fisheries and give a little back.

Thanks again for your interest, we'd sure love to have you onboard!

Ben

#19 Ā·
Count me in, I'm going to email the contact you provided as soon as possible. Thanks for the information, I'm excited to get involved, and yes I'm aware of the conservation issues, specifically water changes for our agrea. I'm truly anxious to find others with a similar addiction, who might drop a peril every now and then to improve my experiences, as well as get involve where I can to maintain this incredible sport. Again thanks

Hey Hook and Book, thanks for your interest.

There is a chapter located in Central Oregon, called the 'Deschutes Basin Chapter'. It is located in Bend, and their meetings are quarterly at the Environmental Center on Kansas Street.

For more information on the chapter, contact President Yancy Lind at yancy_lind@ml.com.

With regards to what you can expect -- each chapter is a little bit different, but most follow a pretty standard format. The meetings offer an opportunity to get together with other steelhead and salmon fishermen. The meetings often have a guest speaker, giving a presentation of some kind on fishing techniques or conservation issues. Most meetings also include some raffle sales and gear giveaways.

Regarding the conservation issues, each region is a little bit different. Right now in Central Oregon, there are a few local issues being worked on currently -- one of which is water allocation along the Crooked River, as well as a couple of statewide campaigns, the State Forest campaign, and the Steelheaders involvement in the fight against the Pebble Mine in Bristol Bay.

The meetings are a great way to get to know other fishermen in your area, as well as get involved in both your local and statewide fisheries and give a little back.

Thanks again for your interest, we'd sure love to have you onboard!

Ben

#21 Ā·
I'll be there along with some others representing the Sandy River Chapter to welcome in our newest chapter.

Should be a fun evening...............

#22 Ā·
Just a heads up...............

The Farmstead Restaurant is located at the Arrowhead Golf Club on Hwy 213 if you are needing a landmark.

#25 Ā·
#26 Ā·
I really want to join Northwest Steelheaders, do you guys have a program where i can donate my time for the membership Fee? I have a lot of free time but i Don't have the extra money to afford even the small joiner fee.

#28 Ā·
Hey Doug, didn't see your post until today - my apologies. I don't know of any program that we have that officially exists to turn volunteer hours into a membership, but I will check into it.

#33 Ā· (Edited)
I opted not to PM in the interest of getting the word out to ALL who were interested.

First off, thank you for the interest in forming chapters in new locations! It's extremely encouraging to see so many expressing interest in getting NW Steelheaders chapters going in parts of Washington!

There are two documents to start the process. The first one focuses on getting a feel for what the Northwest Steelheaders are as an organization, the second, the actual nitty gritty of chapter formation.

Russell Bassett, (Head of Steel) our executive director is more than happy to work with any groups that would like to get started, simply send him a PM on here, or call the office or email at executivedirector@nwsteelheaders.org

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B0qsbWd03SXLMThkMjE3NmQtNTIzZS00NmQ0LTlhNzEtYWYyYWQ1NjkxOGY0