www.ifish.net - View Single Post - 2020 Official Archery Success thread!!!!
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2020, 04:26 PM   #191
jmelear
Fry

Default Re: 2020 Official Archery Success thread!!!!

I've been stalking the threads here for years, figured I'd contribute for once. Hunted hard this year and had my share of ups and downs. Had a close encounter and messed up an opportunity at a good bull on Labor Day weekend and didn't get another opportunity until the 2nd to last day. Was sitting down for lunch and to reevaluate my next moves when I let out a couple cow calls. I was about to get up and head back to the truck when this bull caught my eye from 120 yards up the hill. He meandered through the thinned unit down toward me, wind in my face. When he hit 80 yards and slowed down to feed, I hit him with one more mew. He picked up his head and made a bee line to me. He stepped out on the old logging road at 54 yards. I had time to range him, dial to 55, draw back, stand and shoot. Once I saw the impact I knew this was a dead bull. He ran back up the hill where he came from, stumbled and fell. Double lung, clean pass through, no tracking required.

This was my first time breaking down an elk by myself. The hardest thing I've ever had to do while hunting...5x harder than the pack out. If anyone has any tips on how to navigate the rear quarters, please chime in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Elk 2020.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	212.2 KB
ID:	754863  
jmelear is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.33190 seconds with 15 queries