IFish Fishing Forum banner

Finally got her!

7K views 34 replies 27 participants last post by  Mr.Kitch'nPass 
#1 Ā·
Took awhile but finally pic up the new ride! Thanks to all the ifisher's who gave me advice and help! Does anyone have suggestions for an anchor? 23ft Seahawk. Now if they will let me I need to get this thing on the water!!

See less See more
#20 Ā·
Thanks! Its so much different than my old boat. Just trying to figure out where to put thinks and get a new routine down. :excited:

Anchor depends on what you will be using it for. Most guys seem to use the Columbia River set up. Probably 45# looking at that boat. Enjoy!
I had a Columbia River on my 21ft Seahawk, The few times I used it I felt like it needed to be bigger. I'm sure it wasn't 45 lbs.

Holy smokes what size is your chart plotter. Looks like 17ā€! Iā€™m jealous
Garmin 1242 I'm getting older so bigger is better with my eyes! :)

Those have to be the cushiest arm rests I've ever seen on boat seats. Seriously, those are like giant vinyl marshmallows. Your guests will really appreciate those.
Those are to keep Mrs. KP happy.:laugh:

Great boat . Iā€™d recommend a 15 kg (33 lb) Bruce type Anchor. The smaller 10 kg./22 lb version might be all you need. Mine is a Danielson imitation that works great and held my 23ā€™ inboard, hardtop Thunderjet great. Itā€™s overkill for my 20ā€™ TJ. It holds in sand or rocky cobble. No chain needed in the Columbia. It rides recessed in a Miller Marine Anchor nest perfectly.
CW
I take your word for it as I know you are on anchor all the time. I already put on a Lee Lock nest. Do you think it would work the same?

#10 Ā·
Nice ride!! Those have to be the cushiest arm rests I've ever seen on boat seats. Seriously, those are like giant vinyl marshmallows. Your guests will really appreciate those.

Anchor choice will depend on where you're fishing. You're probably going to need more than one depending on where all you take her.

#16 Ā· (Edited)
Great boat . Iā€™d recommend a 15 kg (33 lb) Bruce type Anchor. The smaller 10 kg./22 lb version might be all you need. Mine is a Danielson imitation that works great and held my 23ā€™ inboard, hardtop Thunderjet great. Itā€™s overkill for my 20ā€™ TJ. It holds in sand or rocky cobble. No chain needed in the Columbia. It rides recessed in a Miller Marine Anchor nest perfectly.

CW

#27 Ā·
I have not really had a chance to get the boat out yet and use it. I did put a second rod rail in. I don't think I would do that again. They showed me one in a sled but when mine came in because of the way its designed its much narrower than I thought it would be.
I also would put the grab handle on the tower a little higher. Need to try and see if I can get the tongue on the trailer shortened. seems like its way long. I cant make a corner well at all.? I'm sure I will find more stuff as I use it.

Kitchen- that Lee Lock should work. Some boats on my dock have them and they look very similar to the Miller system.

CW
Thanks, Ill need to look into it more, But I think if it works I would go with that type.

I like the LEE lock Caddie for the Elect Ulterra or anchor swap option though.

Your going to want an Elect up front if you want to troll, and maintain sanity in crowds.

Love the seating arrangement, and the simple removable back seats for hardcore tuna trips :)

Congrats
I was going to go with the new Garmin 40 but held off as I keep hearing about the electric. Sounds good but not sure I want 3 more batteries to maintain and take up space.

I went back and forth on the seats. Gave up some storage for comfort and space. I think for me it was a good trade off.

#24 Ā·
I have a 15# Bruce anchor with 7ft of chain and it holds my 25 ft Columbia very well in sand and gravel. Haven't really tested it on a bottom with larger rocks. I also have a Leelock anchor nest. The problem with the Bruce type anchor in the Leelock nest is the wedge shape of the anchor arm. Once you pull it onto the nest the height of the arm sits above the holes in the anchor nest to put the pin through the chain to hold the anchor in place. The anchor goes into the nest just fine. You just have to figure out how to secure it into the nest while traveling. With my 15# I can slide the anchor forward an inch and then get the pin through the chain to hold it. I haven't used my Columbia style rocker anchor since I got this one. Pretty nice to have an anchor that holds so well and is so easy to pull into the boat. A lot of times if I am pulling by hand I have to get right over the anchor and break it free using the boat. I would say that if I had it to do over again I would go the next heavier one, I think it is a 22#.

#26 Ā·
I have the same similar boat, and am happy with the Mantus for the Columbia below the willamette, and have a 40lb Columbia river rocker with 15' chain for the Willamette. This Columbia sucks pulling but saves me from longlining anchor rope to hold.

I have the Lee lock, and Miller caddies, and prefer Miller for both anchors.

I like the LEE lock Caddie for the Elect Ulterra or anchor swap option though.

Your going to want an Elect up front if you want to troll, and maintain sanity in crowds.

Love the seating arrangement, and the simple removable back seats for hardcore tuna trips :)

Congrats

#28 Ā·
Awesome NR there, Dave.

For another data point.... On my 22' NR I've been extremely happy with the 13# Mantus for the Lower CR and coastal bays; really any sandy or soft bottom. I do not miss the 30#-plus rocker anchors.

For the big cobble up by Bonneville I've got a ~40# Kedge anchor.

#30 Ā·
Nice boat. I too have the same seating arrangement in my 20' and love it.
The tongue lenth is very helpful for backing and launching shallow.

BTW, did I see your boat heading south on I5 by Salem the other day?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.