IFish Fishing Forum banner

Walleye tactics lake Roosevelt in summer?

5K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Bowen1911 
#1 ·
Hey guys, first time posting in this section. So me and my family will be camping at spring canyon for a week in the middle of July with the boat. I'm all set for kokanee and rainbows, but I have never walleye fished in my life. I was thinking fish tacos in camp would be awesome!

Anyone got any advice and tips for lake Roosevelt? I would like to stay between the dam and Keller, I might venture out further who knows. Thanks.

#2 ·
Many years ago, I camped at Spring Canyon CG and fished Lake Roosevelt. Awesome area!! The water drop offs are pretty steep at that end of the lake, so not the best walleye habitat. Further up lake, there are some flats that looked like better holding water. Get the Fish-n-map of the lake to scout out the spots.
https://www.fishnmap.com/item.php?item=865

Better walleye fishing is up around the Spokane River.

If you want to walleye fish, you will be real close to Banks Lake. Take your boat for the day down there for walleye and fish Lake Roosevelt for the trout/kokes.

#5 ·
Banks Lake walleye numbers have been down for a few years now. I volunteered with WDFW last fall for the FWIN - Fall Walleye Index Number testing on Banks. The numbers weren't overly encouraging. A better option would probably be Rufus Woods. Rufus is the next reservoir downriver in the system below Grand Coulee. You can find good numbers of Walleye + some bonus Triploid trout and it's about the same drive from where you'll be camping. Also, you'll want to plan on taking in the laser light show at Grand Coulee one evening while you're there. Enjoy your trip!!!!

#7 ·

I have fished walleyes most of my life. Usually in Canada where things are simple. Fished Banks and Potholes with a guide each time. One time we were back in narrow channels trolling super slow with crawlers. Next time in middle of the lake with Flicker Shad. The speed had to be perfect and the guide had about 50 Flicker Shad in one organized box. Size,running depth, length of line on the boat was changed constantly to target fish. Limited out both times but I would never have thought about these techniques. Take a guide fo half day. Should be worth it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.