IFish Fishing Forum banner

Brownlee Crappie/Catfish Report

30K views 117 replies 34 participants last post by  eastern_elk_hunter 
#1 ·
It’s that wonderful time of year again where we pack up and head out for sleepless nights of fishing at Brownlee. My favorite time of year. If anyone has any info and could share some updates on the fishing, many of us would highly appreciate it.

#33 ·
Not trying to discourage anybody jonesing to go fishing, just keep in mind, low population areas really don't want crowds from high population areas right now, staying local is best, avoid any contact, & keep your distance no matter where you live.

#34 ·
That is a reasonable idea. Fishing can be safe or risky in this environment. Golf is shut down in Southern California but open in Illinois and Oregon. A motel owner can open or shut his motel and Thorny has decided to keep his open. It may be a bad decision. How about camping in isolated areas? There could be issues there also. Some guidelines provided by governments need to be interpreted and followed with a dose of common sense.

#36 ·
Fishing can be done safely. Distances can be maintained. I will certainly fish many of those lakes mentioned. Golf at some locations limit one person per cart. Zero % risk is near impossible outside a bubble. We can share reports here on fishing conditions and crowds. If things look at all risky, just go back home. I expect crowds to be low in many spots and fishing to be proportionately better. If I get sick, I will stay home for sure. You can’t make up missed fishing seasons. I am geared up for exercise , fresh air and great fishing.

#37 ·
If I was to go it would be by myself in a float tube, kayak, or raft from bear cr arm, but not planning on gong fishing without my lifetime crappie fishing partner, we were going to go to Prineville res this year, wife said she did not want to take the chance, as she fits within the most vulnerable group category, SP closed a short time after she made her decision anyway, this is her one & only fishing trip the past two years, she's not capable of float tubing anymore, if she doesn't go, I'm not going. I'm mostly a Saltwater fisherman, was going to go surf perch fishing with my daughter soon, she said she did not want to take the chance of catching the virus & bringing it home to her mother, so were not going, she already bought her sportsman pack, but has only fished for trout locally a few times so far, I have not bought my F or H license yet, & may not, Halibut starts up in a month, I have a long time crew mostly from the Portland area that I fished, hunted, & worked with for over 30 years, looks like all boat ramps will be closed, so early season Halibut fishing is out, Salmon, & Tuna fishing usually starts up the end of June to early July, looks unlikely at this time as well, Bow hunting is questionable as well, I'll/we'll save the Crappie for you die hard's, no pun intended. :flowered:

#40 ·
PRESS RELEASE: COUNTY COMMISSIONERS CLOSE SNAKE RIVER ROAD

Today, County Commissioners temporarily closed the Snake River Road, beginning at the intersection of Sass Road outside of Richland, and continuing to the intersection of E. 5th Street in Huntington. Access will continue to be provided for local residential users. The closure order currently runs from April 3 - 17, 2020.

Visitors from outside the area have been frequenting recreational sites along the rivers, disregarding campground closures and Oregon’s Stay Home Save Lives Order, including social distancing and the limitation to only necessary travel. As the COVID-19 pandemic continues, Baker County’s highest priority is protecting the community by limiting the spread of the disease and impact to our rural healthcare and emergency services.

The order states, “Baker County is a rural community possessed with limited emergency medical and healthcare capability, and is determined to follow medical guidance and do everything in our collective power to protect these vital community assets during a predicted surge of patients due to the COVID-19 pandemic.”

The County Commissioners ask residents to observe the Stay Home Save Lives Order to protect the health and safety of our community.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

#41 ·

Today, County Commissioners temporarily closed the Snake River Road, beginning at the intersection of Sass Road outside of Richland, and continuing to the intersection of E. 5th Street in Huntington. Access will continue to be provided for local residential users. The closure order currently runs from April 3 - 17, 2020.

Visitors from outside the area have been frequenting recreational sites along the rivers, disregarding campground closures and Oregon’s Stay Home Save Lives Order, including social distancing and the limitation to only necessary travel. As the COVID-19 pandemic continues, Baker County’s highest priority is protecting the community by limiting the spread of the disease and impact to our rural healthcare and emergency services.

The order states, “Baker County is a rural community possessed with limited emergency medical and healthcare capability, and is determined to follow medical guidance and do everything in our collective power to protect these vital community assets during a predicted surge of patients due to the COVID-19 pandemic.”

The County Commissioners ask residents to observe the Stay Home Save Lives Order to protect the health and safety of our community.

Wish I saw this notice before I arrived at Moonshine Mine to a "Boat Launch is Closed" sign at dusk Thursday night. I wasn't going to turn around after almost 400 miles so I drove Snake River Road to Huntington and every single launch was closed too. I figured the public ramp next to Catfish Junction might be open but it was closed too. I went on the BLM site and found the Idaho parks were open so I camped at Steck Park at 11pm. In the morning I found the boat launch was a good 40 feet from the water and unusable but I did find a very sketchy spot next to the railroad bridge that was risky but I'm stubborn so I put in.

Now, for a report. I was targeting bass and using deep diving crankbaits when I hooked a large fish that I fought for over ten minutes before it came undone. Figuring I inadvertently snagged a carp or catfish I kept fishing. Then it happened again and I landed a 40 inch flathead that was easily 25 pounds! It took the lure in the mouth too. I took some pics and released it and within an hour lightning struck twice and I caught another flathead that was within an inch of the first one! There were catfisherman up and down the river on both sides not catching anything. I never did get a bite from a bass or crappie. When I lost my hot lure and had my transducer break I quit for the day knowing I might have a hard time getting my boat out of the water. I did but it was sketchy and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. My boat is small and I'm not very smart.

#43 ·
Here’s some pictures of my cats. The first fish a guy from the bank took for me and the second fish nobody was around so I opted for selfies.

Attachments

#46 ·
They were my first ever flatheads too. Knew they were in there but never caught anything but channel cats and bullheads. I did tow and I did blow a tire but it was on my Jeep. I stupidly drove 400 miles home on a donut spare because I didn’t feel like waiting another day for Les Schwab in Weiser to open.

#49 ·
First I've heard of Flatheads in there. Kinda cool. I caught a big Blue one day while dropping a Crappie jig to the bottom in deep water along a rock cliff. Ton of fun on 4lb and six foot rod. Usually use Steelhead gear when targeting Channel Cats but light outfits add a ton of fun to fishing.

Today would be a great day to be there.

#50 ·
I've heard of Flathead there but never seen one. Of course I don't get over there much! Didn't know there were blue's in there. Starting to think once the pup's are gone I might need to load up and go over there again. Love it over there but a really long trip!

#52 ·
It's been a long time since I think I hooked & lost a Sturgeon at Brownlee, early to mid 80's, never actually saw it or saw any Sturgeon caught there, but heard of some 70's stories from old timers, I have no reason to not believe them, I had a few break me off that seemed way too big to be a Catfish, but with no visual, it's just another big fish lost story. :thisbig:

#53 ·
I've seen them caught at the burnt River, but that was in the '90s. Late one summer they had a problem with an algae bloom which got all the dissolved oxygen. I saw a bunch of four to six foot sturgeon dead. Very sad. I'm talking like 8 to 10. They are there.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

#54 ·
PRESS RELEASE: SNAKE RIVER AREA ORDER CHANGES
Today, Incident Commander Mark Bennett approved modifications to yesterday’s order for the Snake River area. Based on input from the community, the order has been amended to prohibit camping and overnight use in public areas along the Snake River corridor between April 4-18. The order does not restrict camping on private property. Snake River Road will continue to be open to the public, and the corridor is open to day fishing.

County officials have received numerous complaints about visitors from outside the area disregarding existing recreation area closures and social distancing standards at sites along the river. Local residents have voiced concern about the increased risk of transmission of COVID-19 to the local community from visitors not following the existing standards for health and safety, and asked County officials to take action.

Baker County continues to have no confirmed cases of COVID-19.

Mark Bennett says, “The Commissioners heard helpful questions and concerns from the community about yesterday’s order, and we appreciate the input. I’ve approved changes to address some of the concerns we heard while still emphasizing the need for social distancing as a measure to protect our communities, especially Richland, Halfway, Oxbow and Huntington. While the original intent was not to restrict local access to the river, some of the questions we received showed how additional flexibility in the language of the order was needed. We want to emphasize that this order is temporary, and will be lifted when the situation allows recreation to continue and not put our residents at risk. Thank you to everyone for your patience as we work through this uncharted territory together and focus on taking care of each other.”

Yesterday’s order from the County Commissioners temporarily closed the Snake River Road from April 3-17, 2020. That order has now been modified.

Previous

#61 ·
I called the Hitchin Post in Richland today, they said everything is still closed. If you can find somewhere to dump your boat in the water you can fish, but the sheriff/deputies will come and tell you no overnight camping.

My dad's friend went a couple of weeks ago. They drove up Friday morning, the notice to close the Snake River rd came Saturday morning. The sheriff patrol boat came by and told them they can fish out the day but cannot be on the water over night and cannot park their rig over night.

#64 ·
Yeah no bueno. Not with this bigger boat. The worst launch was the one past the Graveyard I believe...Can't remember what it was called. Maybe the same one. I will be patient :) Need to get out of the city...I can always feel the weight lift off my shoulders when I am out fishing/hunting/ranching etc. Tension goes away for the time being.

#65 ·
Snake River Area Overnight Closure Ends.

The Snake River area overnight closure, which went into effect on April 3, 2020, will end today (Thursday, April 30).
County officials had received numerous complaints about visitors from outside the area disregarding existing recreation area closures and social distancing standards at sites along the river. These complaints prompted the closure in early April, which included the prohibition of camping and overnight use in public areas along the Snake River corridor.

Officials emphasize that social distancing, even outdoors, is an important measure to protect our communities from the risk of transmission of COVID-19. Individuals are encouraged to maintain at least six feet of distance between themselves and anyone who does not reside in their immediate household and to observe any closures posted on properties open to the public. Additionally, visitors are reminded to properly dispose of all waste.

Visit www.bakercountycovid19.com for links to information about restrictions or closures for the Bureau of Land Management, Idaho Power, Wallowa-Whitman National Forest, Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife, and Oregon Department of Forestry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.