IFish Fishing Forum banner

Brownlee Crappie/Catfish Report

30K views 117 replies 34 participants last post by  eastern_elk_hunter 
#1 ·
It’s that wonderful time of year again where we pack up and head out for sleepless nights of fishing at Brownlee. My favorite time of year. If anyone has any info and could share some updates on the fishing, many of us would highly appreciate it.

#2 ·
ive been wanting to learn what Brownlee really has to offer. Ive heard good things but yet to make a trip of it other then bank fishing years ago.. if you have insight you don't mind sharing I would appreciate it.. My wife is from Texas and misses catfishing.. im sure a time of year and the place are critical to success but only a guess.. any insight would be appreciated Thanks..:flag2:

#7 ·
Crappie gut's if you can find/catch them works best. It's a little too early for Catfish, we've done ok from mid to late April, but it really starts to pick up in May.

#16 · (Edited)
Nice haul, Powder rv arm? We've never fished Brownlee in Feb, we fished the graveyard area over spring break once, weather was cold, windy, & rainy, caught mostly yellow perch, didn't see anybody catching much either, we left early after 3 days of miserable tent camping/fishing, never fished that early in the season again, could of just been bad timing on our part, probably would of better fishing if the weather wasn't so crappy? as I heard Crappie fishing can be good in March, just not worth the long drive for us to find out, mid April thru early May has always been good to us, weather, camping, & fishing, Catfish was never our primary target species, & we lost our favorite camping spot of over 30 years besides, we really miss tossing out a couple catfish lines with bells attached, watching, & listening from the MH just feet away from the waters edge, while drinking our morning coffee, wife was usually still in her robe. :thisbig:

#18 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys! Friends of friends went last week and knocked them dead. They came back with 3 coolers of catfish and 1 cooler of crappie fishing from the bank. Crappies are averaging over a 1lb and they were mostly black crappie. Also told me they caught a 2.5lb white crappie. Got the boat and I’m ready to go this weekend, but not sure how things are going to pan out with this shelter in place thing going on.

#20 ·
Talked with Thorny at Hitching Post recently. Very little pressure and water was way down recently but now launching boats easy. Crappies running 10-13 inches. A few reports of people getting up to 30 or so. Trolling was working well. There is some nice weather coming up next weekend. Hitting these weather windows early in season has paid off in past. Prineville might be just as good soon. All we need is a few days of real spring. I am waiting to see how Prineville fishes before long drive East.

#23 ·
I know the rules change by the hour but I did just see on the Idaho Power site that all their campgrounds, picnic areas and boat ramps are closed. I've always launched at Woodhead for the last 30 years and Farewell Bend before that. So as of now, we can still launch on the Powder River Arm and Farewell Bend or...?

#27 ·
I personally have never caught one there or heard of any caught but I'm sure at some point somebody has illegally dumped some in over the years. There aren't any regulations or management for them. The locals would know better than me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.