Smoked TUNA bellies! - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifishers Recipes!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2005, 08:42 AM   #1
WaterDog
King Salmon
 
WaterDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: West Valley
Posts: 6,639
Default Smoked TUNA bellies!

This recipe is from the Salty Dogs.

1) Pack bellies in rock salt for 20 to 30 mintes. Not any longer!

2) Remove salt and rinse.

3) Pat dry.

4) Place in smoker until desired texture is achieved, usually 3 to 10 hours depending on your smoker. Alder seems to be the wood of choice.

5) Eat and enjoy.

Here are the origional posts from the Salty Dog Board as a reference. There is some good discussion so you might want to read these for more detailed info.

Smoked TUNA! 1
Smoked TUNA! 2
Smoked TUNA! 3
Smoked TUNA! 4

__________________
Drinking rum before 10am makes you a pirate, not an alcoholic.
WaterDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 05:12 PM   #2
Mr. Fisherman
King Salmon
 
Mr. Fisherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Hillsboro, OR, USA
Posts: 5,843
Default Re: Smoked TUNA bellies!

Back to the top as I am certain others will look for this as the season is upon us.
I am putting Tuna bellies on the smoker as soon as my pork but is done... Mmm Mmm Mmm
__________________
I LOVE my job!.... It's the BEST! IT'S FANTASTIC!! ~Nacho Libre.
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:04 PM   #3
CrazyFish
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Garibaldi, OR
Posts: 1,081
Default Re: Smoked TUNA bellies!

Great post. It still amazes me how many discard their TUNA bellies. As for the prep work I use the same wet brine as my smoked salmon. So far everyone that has tried it raves and wants to know where they can buy some, I just chucke and tell them they can't that I know of. As far as I know none of the comercial smokers have picked up on the idea of smoking TUNA bellies, so they are still a delicasy for those of us that get our hands dirty.
__________________
EAT ME LURE Sales Rep

Oregon Tuna Classic 2005/2006/2007
CrazyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 06:04 PM   #4
Terrymcd4
Steelhead
 
Terrymcd4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Portland, Or
Posts: 322
Default Re: Smoked TUNA bellies!

I just did the rock salt for 20 minutes as above. I only had hickory chips, and ran 2 pans thru (Smokey Mountain Propane smoker...runs about 200, so kinda hot) only took about 2 hours, and tastes GREAT! Just the right amount of salt and smoke flavor.
__________________
“Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.” John Wayne
Terrymcd4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 03:49 PM   #5
Rabid Fisherman
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Hermiston OR
Posts: 124
Default Re: Smoked TUNA bellies!

Wowee. I ran some bellies just as you described on a Traeger with alder. This has to be right up there with the best smoked fish I have ever done and I have been doing it for years.

Thanks and pm sent

Scott
__________________
I Fish...I Hunt....I Provide
Rabid Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:38 PM   #6
crfsteelheader
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 444
Default Re: Smoked TUNA bellies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Fisherman View Post
Wowee. I ran some bellies just as you described on a Traeger with alder. This has to be right up there with the best smoked fish I have ever done and I have been doing it for years.

Thanks and pm sent

Scott
How long did you leave them on the Traeger? And what temp? I need to try this one out!
crfsteelheader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:46 AM   #7
byebyeducky
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Salem, OR
Posts: 1,016
Default Re: Smoked TUNA bellies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crfsteelheader View Post
How long did you leave them on the Traeger? And what temp? I need to try this one out!

I do them on my Traeger on the smoke setting (I just have high/medium/smoke) for about 4 hours. It really isn't that critical. I heard comments like "this is the best smoked fish I have ever had" The rock salt for 25 minutes gave it the perfect saltiness, and it was moist and very tasty. You still can't come close to smoked salmon belly's and collars though. (at least for my taste buds)
byebyeducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:04 AM   #8
crfsteelheader
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 444
Default Re: Smoked TUNA bellies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by byebyeducky View Post
I do them on my Traeger on the smoke setting (I just have high/medium/smoke) for about 4 hours. It really isn't that critical. I heard comments like "this is the best smoked fish I have ever had" The rock salt for 25 minutes gave it the perfect saltiness, and it was moist and very tasty. You still can't come close to smoked salmon belly's and collars though. (at least for my taste buds)
Awesome, thank you BBD! I will use that as a starting point.
crfsteelheader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:43 AM   #9
Chug
Ifish Nate
 
Chug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Yamhill Co.
Posts: 2,856
Default Re: Smoked TUNA bellies!

I posted my smoked tuna Belly's, using the flower pot smoker.. tasty.. add mayo, some pepper, garlic Toss on fresh baked buns.. YUMMY...

Have one package left.. trying to hold out & save it for Elk camp.. for snack in the deep dark woods with a cold beer & crackers over looking a meadow.. snack time. mmmmmmm
__________________
- "UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FIT! "


Chug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:43 AM   #10
wulfdog
Fry
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Shelton, WA
Posts: 4
Default Re: Smoked TUNA bellies!

I was reading in one of the posts where a guy said he was smoking tuna and would finish off cooking it when he canned it. Can anyone tell me how to can smoked tuna. I have canned a lot of fresh tuna buy adding spices, and salt to raw fresh tuna and sticking it in pint and 1/2 pint jars then pressure canning it. When done the tuna has released its oil and there is usually half a jar of oil with the tuna. If I smoke tuna, can I just stick it into jars and can it, or should I add water or chicken stock to the jar? I'm not sure whether there will be enough moisture left in the tuna to can it. Any ideas?
wulfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:48 PM   #11
Thunnus
Chromer
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Lake Grove
Posts: 577
Default Re: Smoked TUNA bellies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfdog View Post
I was reading in one of the posts where a guy said he was smoking tuna and would finish off cooking it when he canned it. Can anyone tell me how to can smoked tuna. I have canned a lot of fresh tuna buy adding spices, and salt to raw fresh tuna and sticking it in pint and 1/2 pint jars then pressure canning it. When done the tuna has released its oil and there is usually half a jar of oil with the tuna. If I smoke tuna, can I just stick it into jars and can it, or should I add water or chicken stock to the jar? I'm not sure whether there will be enough moisture left in the tuna to can it. Any ideas?
Check other posts on smoked albacore, but the canning they say will intensify the smokiness. Donot smoke like a salmon or it will come out too dry, unless you add say olive oil or something. What I do is only smoke 2-4 hours, then can. I still add a teaspoon of olive oil.

Thunnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:07 PM   #12
summoner7
Chromer
 
summoner7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Top of Oregon City
Posts: 663
Smile Re: Smoked TUNA bellies!



I saw this thread a week or two ago and decided to try to smoke some tuna if we had any leftovers from canning tuna. We had some leftover tuna so I tried it this weekend with no salt (someone on another ifish thread recommended that!), just alder chips and they came out really good, although it has to stay in the fridge! Here's my blog post in case you're interested.
summoner7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:14 PM   #13
galleyjoe
Fry
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 17
Default Re: Smoked TUNA bellies!

Drool!!! Ohhhhhhhh I hope that tastes as good as it looks!!!
galleyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:39 PM   #14
summoner7
Chromer
 
summoner7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Top of Oregon City
Posts: 663
Smile Re: Smoked TUNA bellies!



Imagine the luck: By accident, while rooting around in my freezer, I found my long lost package of tuna bellies that I had set aside last summer for smoking. So, I attempted to improve on a good thing (from two posts up in this same thread!). This time, I packed the tuna in sea salt for about 20 or 30 minutes, then rinsed and dried before putting on the smoker. This time, they were WAY better, and with just a hint of saltiness!

Here's a link to Alder-Smoked Albacore Tuna at my blog in case you're interested.
summoner7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:22 AM   #15
jake_705
Coho
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 54
Default Re: Smoked TUNA bellies!

yum
jake_705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:33 PM   #16
rtg
Steelhead
 
rtg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Oregon
Posts: 242
Default Re: Smoked TUNA bellies!

Damn Now I am hungery agian!!
rtg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:50 PM   #17
langararocks
Super Moderator
 
langararocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5,889
Default Re: Smoked TUNA bellies!

Tried the rock salt method and then smoked it in the Traeger. Came out awesome!!! I think I might try a honey wasabi glaze next time to try something different.

Here’s the recipe I am thinking about trying; now I just need some more tuna .


Honey Wasabi Recipe
3 Tbls. honey
3 Tbls. soy sauce
4 Tbls. mirin (sweet Japanese rice wine),
1 tsp. wasabi powder
1 Tbls. fresh lime juice
2 tsp. veg. oil


Thinking of just brushing it on a couple times during the smoke process.
langararocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:40 AM   #18
WoundedTuna
Chromer
 
WoundedTuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Scappoose
Posts: 552
Default Re: Smoked TUNA bellies!

I have always trimmed the skin off the tuna bellies before smoking. Has anyone ever tried smoking tuna bellies with the skin still on? I co-worker brought me some to smoke and they still have the skin on them.
__________________
GO BEAVS
WoundedTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:52 PM   #19
Okie
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Cedar Mill, Oregon
Posts: 1,462
Default Re: Smoked TUNA bellies!

yum
Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:28 PM   #20
getfish
Coho
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 71
Default Re: Smoked TUNA bellies!

are they fattie
getfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:36 PM   #21
mben2979
Coho
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 62
Default Re: Smoked TUNA bellies!

Like it, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterDog View Post
This recipe is from the Salty Dogs.

1) Pack bellies in rock salt for 20 to 30 mintes. Not any longer!

2) Remove salt and rinse.

3) Pat dry.

4) Place in smoker until desired texture is achieved, usually 3 to 10 hours depending on your smoker. Alder seems to be the wood of choice.

5) Eat and enjoy.

Here are the origional posts from the Salty Dog Board as a reference. There is some good discussion so you might want to read these for more detailed info.

Smoked TUNA! 1
Smoked TUNA! 2
Smoked TUNA! 3
Smoked TUNA! 4
mben2979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:47 AM   #22
nucci
Steelhead
 
nucci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Roseburg
Posts: 117
Default Re: Smoked TUNA bellies!

How was the beer pairing?
nucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:30 PM   #23
williesfish
Coho
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 65
Default Re: Smoked TUNA bellies!

Awesome, tried it on the Big Chief. Some fine eats.
williesfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:29 AM   #24
Hookedup
Coho
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 58
Default Re: Smoked TUNA bellies!

Yum
Hookedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Cast to



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:06 AM.

Terms of Service
Page generated in 0.47081 seconds with 44 queries