. 0 0%
. 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 01:07 PM   #1
Salty Walty
King Salmon

Default The Official Gillnet/Gillnetter Thread

We will now have all the posts and threads about gillnets and gillnetters here. We have also moved some of the prior threads on this subject to this thread and others that are revived will be moved to this thread as they are brought back to the top. Please post your comments on this subject to this thread.

Have at it. Please remember the AUP when posting.

Thanks,

Ifish Staff

Landings link;

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/fish/OSCR...ry_updates.asp

Columbia River Compact(CRC) site for opening dates, see Joint State Action Notices;

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/crc/crcindex.htm

Old 02-19-2009, 09:59 AM   #2
Ginny Ross
Ifish Nate

Default Gill-nets: The tangle on the Columbia River

Ladies and Gentlemen: Fire up your keyboards.

Letters to: letters@news.oregonian.com
Post comments: http://www.oregonlive.com/opinion/in...n_the_col.html

Do it now. Completely fill the inbox. Let's see a whole section of letters on this topic printed in the O in a few days. NOW is your time to speak!

Quote:
Gill-nets: The tangle on the Columbia River
by The Editorial Board
Wednesday February 18, 2009, 2:06 PM

The Oregonian

A new proposal would move gill-netters into bays and side channels, which would reduce the incidental take of protected wild salmon on the Columbia. The long dispute between gill-netters and sport fishermen over Columbia River salmon and steelhead has led to nothing but bitterness and ever-more pressure on threatened fish. The issue of how to divide the catch on the Columbia has even paralyzed fishing regulations on the river by pitting the Oregon Fish and Wildlife Commission against its counterpart in Washington.

Now sport fishermen have offered a promising proposal: Confine gillnetting to bays and side channels, and use hatchery fish to seed those areas. That would get gill-netters out of the main stem of the Columbia and away from most of the threatened and endangered salmon passing upriver. That would reduce the incidental take of fish on the Endangered Species list by gillnetting, and presumably allow federal and state policymakers to permit longer sport fishing seasons for hatchery fish.

The sport fishing groups backing the "SAFE for Salmon" plan in the Oregon Legislature call it a "win-win" proposal for gillnetters and sport fishermen, and maybe it actually would work out that way. But gillnetters naturally fear that they would be literally sidelined from Columbia River fishing by the proposal. The idea needs more public and scientific review before legislators write it into law.

Jim Martin, a former head of Oregon's fisheries division and a chief proponent of SAFE for Salmon notes that two-thirds of the gillnetters' spring chinook catch already is occurring in SAFE areas, including Youngs Bay in Astoria. It does seem possible to make more hatchery salmon available in bays and side channels to provide adequate fish for the 150 or so active gill-netters on the Columbia.

It would be good for the Northwest to figure out a way to end the long, loud dispute over gill-nets in a way that keeps alive the century-old tradition of commercial gill-netting without damaging fragile wild salmon runs and forcing fish managers to prematurely shut down the lucrative sport fishing industry simply because gill-nets have killed too many wild fish.

Gill-netters and their advocates in the Legislature should give this new proposal a long, careful look. It's also vital that state fisheries agencies, Bonneville, the tribes and others fully consider the proposal; the Legislature badly needs their expertise and guidance on this issue.

This may or may not be the answer. But it sure beats attempting to legislate the gill-netting issue through the citizen initiative. That's happened before, and it will happen again if the Legislature cannot find a better way to resolve the dispute between gill-netters and sport fishers on the Columbia River.

Views expressed in my posts are mine alone and should not be attributed to any organization. My posts have not ever, and do not contain any confidential information related to any organization or committee. To obtain official replies on issues discussed from any particular entity, contact that entity directly. Use your own name and address for best results.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:07 PM   #3
RascallyRabbit
Tuna!

Default Re: Gill-nets: The tangle on the Columbia River

I had a nice post written, when I went to post it I found out that the system had logged me out, and I lost it. I'm headed back to work so won't probably get a chance to try again till tomorrow.

Be sure to copy your post before you post it just to be safe.

Steve/RR
Old 02-19-2009, 12:16 PM   #4
Trick
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RascallyRabbit View Post
I had a nice post written, when I went to post it I found out that the system had logged me out, and I lost it. I'm headed back to work so won't probably get a chance to try again till tomorrow.

Be sure to copy your post before you post it just to be safe.

Steve/RR
That happened to me today.......chaps my hide!

Anyways.....thanks for posting Ginny!
Member #200 and something?
CCA NRA OFF Member
Old 02-19-2009, 02:28 PM   #5
garyk
King Salmon

WOW!

Thank YOU to everyone, whoever you are, whatever meetings you attended, for helping to put this crisis in the public spotlight!

I do disagree with the quote:

"The idea needs more public and scientific review before legislators write it into law."

Actually this has been fully studed since the SAFE/Terminal Areas were established first by the gillnetters and then greatly expanded by BPA in the 1990's with the goal THEN of eventually eliminating mainstem gillnetting. The results are proven.

It is not a question of "IF", it has become a question of "when".

It's time to get past assessment and on to implementation.

The Oregon Legislature just needs to make the policy decision.
IFisher 234

"We want excellence from wildlife managers, but don't want to help. We are very good at one thing - complaining."
Teeb, 11.19.13
Old 02-19-2009, 03:59 PM   #6
stlhdrgrn
Sturgeon

18 years should be long enough to wait for them to be off the main river, no more study is needed.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:39 PM   #7
Fly Junkie
Chromer

Old 02-19-2009, 11:15 PM   #8
Smoked Salmon
King Salmon

No offense Gary, but I tend to take the Oregonian editorials with a grain of salt. For them to ask for more review ... well they put scientific and public side by side. I don't know if it was meant to equate them or not, but it sure looked weird. Maybe they just don't understand the nuts and bolts (fins and scales?) of the proposal, and are delaying backing the SAFE proposal until they hear more groundswell of support?

Old 03-02-2009, 02:07 PM   #9
CaughtSteelin
Steelhead

Default Gillnet/Commercial Fishing Vessel

Now no one start shooting off their "opinions" please, we all know most are against the thought of a gill netter or commercial fishing vessel. I am just looking for some information.

Does anyone know of anyone looking to sell their vessels with the permits? Or where they usually post their "for sale" ads?

Thanks.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:52 PM   #10
budsfishin2
Chromer

Default Re: Gillnet/Commercial Fishing Vessel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaughtSteelin View Post
Now no one start shooting off their "opinions" please, we all know most are against the thought of a gill netter or commercial fishing vessel. I am just looking for some information.

Does anyone know of anyone looking to sell their vessels with the permits? Or where they usually post their "for sale" ads?

Thanks.
going towards vernoia out of rainer,[i dont know the name of the road]bout a mile past the top of the hill,on the right,theres a net boat parked,kinda off the road.i here its for sale,permit and gear..best i can tell you
Old 03-02-2009, 03:33 PM   #11
Fast Water
King Salmon

See if this email address gets you anywhere.

salforal@pacifier.com

Lower Columbia CCA
Join CCA

Ifish Member #2421

For in the end, we will conserve only what we love.
We will love only what we understand.
We will understand only what we are taught.

- Baba Dioum
Old 03-02-2009, 05:08 PM   #12
roadsend
King Salmon

Daily Astorian, none in there right now.
Bulletin board at Englund Marine.
A lot of them are sold by word of mouth.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:01 PM   #13
HOOKUP
Tuna!

permitmaster.com
Old 03-02-2009, 06:06 PM   #14
spooner
Tuna!

http://www.dockstreetbrokers.com/
Old 03-02-2009, 08:11 PM   #15
Chinook311
Chromer

Old 03-02-2009, 09:16 PM   #16
CaughtSteelin
Steelhead

Thanks everyone!
Old 03-06-2009, 08:03 PM   #17
Misguided
Tuna!

Default Some good news on gillnet ban in the Artic

I am writting an essay for school about the devistating effects of commercial gillnet fishingand while doing a search I came across this tidbit. http://community.adn.com/node/137627 Is this old news or what?
I also am in need of info about any alternatives to gillnet fishing. Any help to a website is much appreciated. BAN ON. Jim Sr.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:08 PM   #18
Lead Bouncer
King Salmon

Default Re: Some good news on gillnet ban in the Artic

http://www.cbbulletin.com/317493.aspx

start googling.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:19 PM   #19
Fast Water
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misguided View Post
I am writting an essay for school about the devistating effects of commercial gillnet fishingand while doing a search I came across this tidbit. http://community.adn.com/node/137627 Is this old news or what?
I also am in need of info about any alternatives to gillnet fishing. Any help to a website is much appreciated. BAN ON. Jim Sr.
Sounds fairly new to me. Sound like they are banning a fishery that dosen't exsist.

Good for them.

Lower Columbia CCA
Join CCA

Ifish Member #2421

For in the end, we will conserve only what we love.
We will love only what we understand.
We will understand only what we are taught.

- Baba Dioum
Old 03-06-2009, 08:29 PM   #20
Lead Bouncer
King Salmon

The North Pacific Councils action today is subject to final approval by the U.S. commerce secretary.

Well, all they have to do is wait for Gary Locke to be confirmed and order his rubber stamp.

The question is how much fish is actually migrating north. A self fulfilling prophecy might be what they are looking for. In any event, the fishing will begin when enough campaign contributions have made their way into DC
Old 03-06-2009, 09:10 PM   #21
Misguided
Tuna!

Well said LB, Locke will be able to do his illwill's in BOTH WASHINGTONS!!
What a sad day that will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Bouncer View Post
The North Pacific Councils action today is subject to final approval by the U.S. commerce secretary.

Well, all they have to do is wait for Gary Locke to be confirmed and order his rubber stamp.

The question is how much fish is actually migrating north. A self fulfilling prophecy might be what they are looking for. In any event, the fishing will begin when enough campaign contributions have made their way into DC
Old 03-07-2009, 07:24 AM   #22
Ginny Ross
Ifish Nate

Good luck in your research and thanks for taking on the project. Please post your paper here when you're done!

Here are some resources that may assist you:

http://www.nwcouncil.org/fw/budget/i...sal.asp?id=898
(Be sure to read the narrative and testimony of Jon Peterson on poundnets. Also look into dipnets, beach seining, traps & weirs and hook and line.)

http://www.nwcouncil.org/fw/budget/i...200755700c.pdf
(HSRG support for selective harvest gear)

http://www.gillnetskill.com
(My site with some links to articles on the destruction and indiscriminate killing by these devices in fisheries around the world and the US. Scroll down on the right column for a paper I wrote on banning lower Col. River gillnets in 1989.)

Good luck,
Ginny Ross

Views expressed in my posts are mine alone and should not be attributed to any organization. My posts have not ever, and do not contain any confidential information related to any organization or committee. To obtain official replies on issues discussed from any particular entity, contact that entity directly. Use your own name and address for best results.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:21 AM   #23
Misguided
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginny Ross View Post
Good luck in your research and thanks for taking on the project. Please post your paper here when you're done!

Here are some resources that may assist you:

http://www.nwcouncil.org/fw/budget/i...sal.asp?id=898
(Be sure to read the narrative and testimony of Jon Peterson on poundnets. Also look into dipnets, beach seining, traps & weirs and hook and line.)

http://www.nwcouncil.org/fw/budget/i...200755700c.pdf
(HSRG support for selective harvest gear)

http://www.gillnetskill.com
(My site with some links to articles on the destruction and indiscriminate killing by these devices in fisheries around the world and the US. Scroll down on the right column for a paper I wrote on banning lower Col. River gillnets in 1989.)

Good luck,
Ginny Ross

Thanks Ginny, I will check them out. This project is an argumentative essay and I will have to add opposing views to the text (something I don't condone because the truth is in the pudding) and is going to be very hard to be nice. Thanks again Ginny, Jim Sr.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:28 PM   #24
Hawg-line-
Chromer

Default gill-netters between the 5 / 205

my buddy just called and was fishing up by the 205 bridge, he saw no actiion and when they pulled out to leave he found out why ... a gill-net boat was down river of them with net in the water, I though they didn't do gill nets and sports fishermens dates on the same days due to conflicts? I think its pretty crumby to give us so few days (when the fish arn't here yet)and then let the gill-netters out on the same days
Old 03-19-2009, 07:31 PM   #25
Abalone
King Salmon

Default Re: gill-netters between the 5 / 205

Test nets probably !
Old 03-19-2009, 09:24 PM   #26
nobrownline
Ifish Nate

They test net on thursdays. They are also allowed to drag raker nets anolg the bottom to clean up their drift before an open season.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:47 PM   #27
joebob
Steelhead

that really sucks.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:54 PM   #28
Zarn
Tuna!

Yep...saw a GN boat at Portaco @ 6pm this evening crewing up. This just needs to end along with native netting...IMHO.

I am all for rod and reel for commerical and native fisheries. Same, same for all.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:27 AM   #29
Splash
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobrownline View Post
They test net on thursdays. They are also allowed to drag raker nets anolg the bottom to clean up their drift before an open season.
So much for the recruitment of large woody debri.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:00 AM   #30
Capt.P-Bar
Chromer

Lets hope wash/oregon dfw regulate these guys, testing nets is one thing, but we all know somewhere theres illegal poaching taking place at times(night), and us fishermen cant even rig a spare rod up without getting eyed by the law. B.S.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:50 AM   #31
Matt J
Steelhead

saw netter putting in at Camas/Washougal last night too
Old 03-20-2009, 06:31 AM   #32
garyk
King Salmon

If you really want to put a stop to mainstem gillnetting then see this thread by David Johnson -

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=241320

- and commit to coming to the Oregon Legislature next week Thursday the 26th.

For years, folks have asked for an end to mainstem gillnetting. Now, the solution is within reach, however, we need everyone and I mean EVERYONE helping to push this effort over the goal line.

We absolutely know the gillnetters will be there on the 26th - in force. Trying to keep the status quo - receiving multi-million smolt transfers taht boost their profits while accusing anglers of being "greedy" for demanding equity in return.

So, are you ready to help?
IFisher 234

"We want excellence from wildlife managers, but don't want to help. We are very good at one thing - complaining."
Teeb, 11.19.13
Old 03-20-2009, 06:38 AM   #33
RiverJohn
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.P-Bar View Post
Lets hope wash/oregon dfw regulate these guys
Keep expectations low for ODFW.

the Gillnetters seem to have many of our politicians in their pockets.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:44 AM   #34
freespool
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverJohn View Post
Keep expectations low for ODFW.

the Gillnetters seem to have many of our politicians in their pockets.
And that is the exact reason we all need to show up in Salem next Thur.
We need to show our politicians that sportanglers are getting the short end of the allocation stick, and the status quo is just not good enough.
Ranting and complaining on the internet accomplishes absolutely zero, showing up in person sends a very powerful message.
Time to consider taking a day off from work to assure sportfishing gets a fair shake from our politicians and decision makers.

"A curious thing happens when fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions." Kennedy Wame
Old 03-20-2009, 09:51 AM   #35

And still no pictures? Pictures work, well.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:43 PM   #36
fishing is life
Ifish Nate

Default So when are the netters going in?

I haven't seen any posts yet when the netters are going in. Can someone here let me know? I heard it is still Tuesdays above the Hayden Island powerlines? If it is Tuesday I think it is pathetic they let them net the day before we go back in and fish but oh well. Hopefully CCA will change that.

peace, love, happiness, and fishing

Wu-tang fishing clan
Old 03-23-2009, 03:48 PM   #37
Riverkeeper
Ichthyomaniac

Default Re: So when are the netters going in?

Sunday afternoon.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/crc/crc20mar09.htm
Old 03-23-2009, 03:54 PM   #38
RWTIII
Tuna!

Found the No Gill Net rules very interesting. Maybe they are catching on.

Season:1 PM to 11 PM Sunday March 29, 2009 Area:West powerlines on Hayden Island upstream to Beacon Rock (Zone 4-5) Sanctuaries:Washougal River and Sandy River. Gear:Drift nets only. 4 maximum mesh size restriction (tangle net gear). Allowable Sales:Adipose fin-clipped Chinook salmon, shad, and white sturgeon measuring within 43 inches and 54 inches in fork-length. Additional Regulations:24 hour Quick Reporting Rule for Washington buyers. Multi- Net Rule: Nets not specifically authorized for use in this fishery may be onboard the vessel if properly stored. A properly stored net is defined as a net on a drum that is fully covered by a tarp (canvas or plastic) and bound with a minimum of ten revolutions of rope with a diameter of 3/8 (0.375) inches or greater Use of monofilament tangle nets not allowed.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:05 PM   #39
TJ Hooker
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWTIII View Post
Found the No Gill Net rules very interesting. Maybe they are catching on.

Season:1 PM to 11 PM Sunday March 29, 2009 Area:West powerlines on Hayden Island upstream to Beacon Rock (Zone 4-5) Sanctuaries:Washougal River and Sandy River. Gear:Drift nets only. 4 maximum mesh size restriction (tangle net gear). Allowable Sales:Adipose fin-clipped Chinook salmon, shad, and white sturgeon measuring within 43 inches and 54 inches in fork-length. Additional Regulations:24 hour Quick Reporting Rule for Washington buyers. Multi- Net Rule: Nets not specifically authorized for use in this fishery may be onboard the vessel if properly stored. A properly stored net is defined as a net on a drum that is fully covered by a tarp (canvas or plastic) and bound with a minimum of ten revolutions of rope with a diameter of 3/8 (0.375) inches or greater Use of monofilament tangle nets not allowed.

I hadn't heard about this until now. It's a shimmer of hope for our fish.
For those of you that haven't joined CCA, I encourage you to do so.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:11 PM   #40
fishing is life
Ifish Nate

Thanks for the info very much! Thanks to the decision makers for making it Sunday.

Wu-tang fishing clan
Old 03-23-2009, 04:16 PM   #41
steelheadslayer
King Salmon

Wink Re: So when are the netters going in?

I've always found it humorous that guys figured the fishing the day after the nets are in sucks. Where they are allowed to net this year won't affect any one much. When tehy are allowed to net from Tongue Point and anywhere below where you are fishing then yeah, it sucks. But, the fish are still moving into the area below the netters so fresh fish should be moving for you.
Immediately they left their nets and followed him. Matthew 4:20

"Opinions are like elbows, everyone seems to have a couple of em"-Phil Robertson
Old 03-23-2009, 07:44 PM   #42
fishing is life
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelheadslayer View Post
I've always found it humorous that guys figured the fishing the day after the nets are in sucks. Where they are allowed to net this year won't affect any one much. When tehy are allowed to net from Tongue Point and anywhere below where you are fishing then yeah, it sucks. But, the fish are still moving into the area below the netters so fresh fish should be moving for you.
I've always found it humorous that guys figured the fishing the day after the nets are in an area doesn't affect the fishing by quite a bit. I recall last year near the peak the fishing was "lights out" ,boat limits by 7:30 for many and everybody else was doing great and having a good time. Tuesday the nets are in the same area we had all fished the day before. Wednesday no fish by 11 am for us and very few by others. Its simple math, you take fish out by nets and there are less fish to catch. Had they allowed the nets to be in on Tuesday this year the fishing would have "sucked" the next day above the powerlines. I guess we were spoiled. I agree the nets won't affect us much this year since it will be open to fishing below the powerlines on Thurs and there are 2 days for recovery above the powerlines.

I am happy the fish decision makers had the common sense to move the day to Sunday and give the areas a chance to "recharge" so we don't waste our gas and vacation time, thank you.

Wu-tang fishing clan
Old 03-25-2009, 02:18 PM   #43
zueth
Tuna!

Question Gillnet Schedule

Does anybody know the gillnet schedule for the Springer run this year? I heard that they are going in this Sunday, but haven't got any confirmation on that.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:19 PM   #44
CATCH AND EAT
King Salmon

Default Re: Gillnet Schedule

Quote:
Originally Posted by zueth View Post
Does anybody know the gillnet schedule for the Springer run this year? I heard that they are going in this Sunday, but haven't got any confirmation on that.

They fish all day Sunday and sunday night this weekend. Hope that helps.

Be pompous, obese, and eat cactus
Be dull, and boring, and omnipresent
Criticize things you don't know about
Be oblong and have your knees removed
Old 03-25-2009, 02:29 PM   #45
zueth
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CATCH AND EAT View Post
They fish all day Sunday and sunday night this weekend. Hope that helps.
Thanks and that is the first time they are going to go in, because they have not been in the river yet....correct ?
Old 03-25-2009, 03:48 PM   #46
brushpuppy
Tuna!

Talked to a fish and game guy today. He said last thurs and sun were test-nets using 4 boats. He didn't have sun results but said only a handful were taken on thurs.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:11 PM   #47
CATCH AND EAT
King Salmon

Other than test net boats, yes, their first attempt.

Be pompous, obese, and eat cactus
Be dull, and boring, and omnipresent
Criticize things you don't know about
Be oblong and have your knees removed
Old 03-29-2009, 12:40 PM   #48
alwaysfishing
Sturgeon

Default Netters wasting no time!

I took a drive down Marine Dr. to Fishermans to stock up on a few things and counted 15 gill netters working the airport area. I'm sure more are at I-5 and upriver too. My wife doesn't know alot about the whole status of the the deal but her first comment was "it's BS, something fishy is going on!" On a sunday and the weather is somewhat calm with no rain, it just doesn't seem right. I told her that that's how it goes and that they get their time. Good luck to everybody out there wed-sat.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:54 PM   #49
salmontroller
Chromer

Default Re: Netters wasting no time!

When do they pull their nets to end their week?
Old 03-29-2009, 01:01 PM   #50
RiverRogue
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmontroller View Post
When do they pull their nets to end their week?
Pretty sure @ 11pm this eve.

Pioneer Chapter OHA
Willamette Falls Chapter CCA
Old 03-29-2009, 01:10 PM   #51
Reeldeahl
Steelhead

I hope someone get a picture for all of us that live too far away! I have had a few calls to tell me about it. They say it is a carnage. No way for a fish to get through. We have gotten about a 50/50 mix of clipped and non clipped, hope that the nets can tell the difference! It has really sucked to throw back some of those beauties to let them die in a gill net and served to some guy in New York City! Can't figure out why, its not the money it is just our goverment with thier kick backs and dirty dealings. Join CCA and hope that we can make a difference.....
Old 03-29-2009, 01:17 PM   #52
skybuster
Ifish Nate

I saw a bunch motoring up toward Reed Island and Corbett earlier too. Thanks again ODFW/WDFW, for making the sport season Wednesday through Saturday, you've effectively killed my springer season.

I'd really like to be out there right now myself, I've only made one pass this year.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:18 PM   #53
RiverDog
Steelhead

Does anybody know the net schedule (what days they net, when then go in and out)? Sorry if this info is available somewhere easy to find, I'm just not sure where.

Thanks,

RD
Old 03-29-2009, 01:23 PM   #54
Ripthemlips
Steelhead

I was down on prescott beach all 3 days this week and counted atleast 12 that went by.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:23 PM   #55
RedneckFishin
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeldeahl View Post
I hope someone get a picture for all of us that live too far away! I have had a few calls to tell me about it. They say it is a carnage. No way for a fish to get through. We have gotten about a 50/50 mix of clipped and non clipped, hope that the nets can tell the difference! It has really sucked to throw back some of those beauties to let them die in a gill net and served to some guy in New York City! Can't figure out why, its not the money it is just our goverment with thier kick backs and dirty dealings. Join CCA and hope that we can make a difference.....

yeah it surely isnt the money. a while back, one of the ifish guides made a comment about how much a fish is worth in sportsfishing. once you include the boat, gear, lunch, sometimes hotel stay, tags, updates, and fuel. that fish is worth alot more pound for pound than what you see it selling for in the store. sportsfishing helps out the economy alot more than most people think
Old 03-29-2009, 01:49 PM   #56
Fishalot
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybuster View Post
Thanks again ODFW/WDFW, for making the sport season Wednesday through Saturday, you've effectively killed my springer season.

I for one don't care that we can't fish Sundays, what about the guys that have Monday and Tuesday off ? Someone is always going to loose out, the bigger picture is, WE SHOULD BE ABLE TO FISH EVERYDAY OF THE WEEK.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:50 PM   #57
RiverMan
Sturgeon

Lets hope that some of the new bills being proposed and efforts by the CCA will eventually put the lower river gill nets out of business forever.

RM
Old 03-29-2009, 02:11 PM   #58
skybuster
Ifish Nate

Fishalot, I agree we should be able to fish every day of the week, and I would settle for being able to fish Mondays and Tuesdays too.

My work keeps me pretty busy Wed. through Sat., so the way this season shakes out I'm just hoping to sneak out when work allows. I've made one pass so far on an afternoon and that's it.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:19 PM   #59
yep
Steelhead

Do they keep the native fish?
Old 03-29-2009, 02:31 PM   #60
Chinook54
Steelhead

They kill every fish that gets caught in their nets.
I put back two natives yesterday. Kept the only hatch I could catch.
Closed Thread