Spinning reel for bobber fishing; Recommenations? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 09-25-2005, 08:12 PM   #1
HVACGuy
Coho

Default Spinning reel for bobber fishing; Recommenations?

I've had the same spinning reel for 20 years and it's time to replace it. There are so many available now that it's impossible to figure out what a good one is. It used to be easy to tell the difference between quality and trash, but the old name crap manufactures are kicking out really pretty reels and I'm wondering if some quality came with it? I've never heard of most of the offerings OKUMA, really big in the advertising here but are the worth the extra $$? How about the new Mitchel 300, is it worth a darn?

Oh yeah I'm fishing for Steelhead around Ice Harbor Dam in SE Washington.

Thanks,
HVACGuy

HVACGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 08:18 PM   #2
rock bottom
Ifish Nate

Default Re: Spinning reel for bobber fishing; Recommenations?

I personaly wouldnt buy an Okuma. I have used them and have friends that have them and dont care for them. I have had a Shimano Symetre for 3 years now without a problem. I would go middle of the road to the top with a Shimano.
Old 09-25-2005, 08:19 PM   #3
grsteelies

Try a shimano sednona for about $50 a sportsman warehouse in kennewick. Go in there and ask for Dave. Tell him rick sent you and he'll get you hooked up with one you like. I personally have a stradic, about $120, but the sedona 2500 is a great deal. You also get two spools, both alum., direct drive, arb bearing, and great super smooth drag. You should also check out the berkely im7 9 ft bobber rod. Its a steal for what your paying.
grsteelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 08:48 PM   #4
HVACGuy
Coho

You guys are awesome! I love this instantanious gratification stuff. I got invited to bobber fish this morning so went out to check my gear and remembered that last year I had condemed my old reel and hadn't replaced it. I'll head over to Sportsmans and check out the models ya'll recommended tomorrow after slavery.

Thanks,

HVACGuy
HVACGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 09:25 PM   #5
Sir Fishalot
Steelhead

Quote:
I personaly wouldnt buy an Okuma. I have used them and have friends that have them and dont care for them. I have had a Shimano Symetre for 3 years now without a problem. I would go middle of the road to the top with a Shimano.
I was recommended the Okuma spinning reels by many on this board and now have two. I've used the Avenger 30 for my float fishing for steelhead and it still performs excellent since purchasing it over a year ago. You can often times pick up AV 30's on sale for 25 bucks. It's a hard price to beat for what it's worth.

I have heard that their level wind reels are not all that great though.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:12 PM   #6
First Bite

Here's another vote for the Shimano Symetre. I've used both the front and rear drag models for several years and I can honestly say I've never had a problem with any of the reels. The 2500 front drag model is smooth as butter and a nice size for most applications.

Mark

"Be kinder than necessary. Everyone is fighting some kind of battle." Unknown

Ifish member #5!
First Bite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 11:13 PM   #7
fishbeast
Steelhead

I work in a fishing shop, and the reel that I would by far reccomend is the shimano stradic. It is a very smooth reel with the gear ratios being extremely fast making those long floats with a bobber come back extremely fast.Good luck
fishbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 11:51 PM   #8
Gundog

I have two Shimano Stradics they are very smooth but I have never bobber fished for salmon with them. I have used them in the ocean and bounced eggs with them before they work great.
Mike
Gundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 01:12 AM   #9
steelheadslayer
King Salmon

I have a shimano stradic and sedona. I also have an Okuma epixor 30. The epixor is pretty good just not quite up there with the stradic. If money is no option go with the stradic, if you want 2, get the epixor.
Immediately they left their nets and followed him. Matthew 4:20

"Opinions are like elbows, everyone seems to have a couple of em"-Phil Robertson
steelheadslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 05:44 AM   #10
B-RUN STEELIE
Tuna!

Shimano Symetre 4000 is about the best all around steelhead reel ever made and is very resonable. Always go with the front drag model. As for the new Mitchells.. what junk. You can see that they are really having problems getting around patents that the Japanese own.

Ever seen a Shimano Stella ??? things are art form. Almost too nice to fish with.
B-RUN STEELIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 07:11 AM   #11
freedrift
Steelhead

another vote for the Okuma AV-30. I use it for bobber and freedrifting and I love it. Very smooth and seems to put up with all of my abuse.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:26 AM   #12
Grandpa Lynn
Chromer

I've had really good luck with the Okuma Epixor EF30's as well. I have 5 of them. Caught many a spring chinook and coho on them. Drag works perfect, every time.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:45 AM   #13
dirtyCut
Chromer

This year alone Ive seen two Okuma's come undone fighting steelhead. I dont know the reason for it, I never tore into those reels to find out why - not mine to do so. I own an Okuma fly reel, but will not buy their spinning reel. The Sedonas are pretty consistant, Ive been working the same one now for 4 summer/winter steelhead seasons. Im not as happy with that reel as I am the Quantum Kinetic. That reel gets it done - what a great drag system, the line comes off so nice... any how, dont forget to check out the Quantums..... front drag. Im not a big fan of the rear drag.

I second the Stella... what a beauty..

KC
dirtyCut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 08:15 AM   #14
fisheromen
Tuna!

After researching the same subject last year and buying two new spinning reels my vote is definitely the Shimano Symmetre. My buddy's Okuma is a heavy beast next to that thing. I use the 2500 with tuff line. The front drag is micro adjustable and ultra smooth. Shimano is known for bearings and as a reel repair guy said, better 4 or 5 good balls then 12 so so ones.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:40 AM   #15
steel_beaver
Tuna!

Shimao Symetre with a rear drag!!! They have the Quick Drag option which I love! I love it just about as much as my Curado. Caught a few springers on it and it did great too.

S_B
steel_beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 08:51 AM   #16
rola76
Ifish Nate

I also recommend either Okuma or Shimano...can't go wrong with either. I'm primarily a baitcaster guy, but I use spinning reels on occassion and exclusively use Okuma Epixors and Shimano Sedonas. I love 'em both and have yet to find a problem.

Good luck!!
rola76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 12:41 PM   #17
Sambo
Steelhead

I to fish above Ice Harbor and I have a Okumna Epixor on one of my rods and a Shimano Sahara on the otehr. I have had both reels for a few years and both have performed flawlessly. I also have a Shakespeare intrepid that I have on a third rod, which my friends use, and it has been a great reel as well. Take your pick, you have al ot of good options.

Sambo
Sambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 12:47 PM   #18
Alabama Redneck
Steelhead

I have a Quantum Energy PTI spinning reel do you think that it is good enough for bobber and jigfishing?? Or the team diawa 3500 BG??