Simplest way to sharpen a fillet knife - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 09-07-2005, 11:52 AM   #1
flapbreaker
Sturgeon

Default Simplest way to sharpen a fillet knife

I would like to the simplest way to sharpen a fillet knife? I have one of those rod things that your supposed to run the blade down on each side but I can't keep a constant angle. Is there some device that works? I would like to get it razor sharp.

flapbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 11:56 AM   #2
MikeN
Tuna!

Default Re: Simplest way to sharpen a fillet knife

I use an electric sharpener that I bought on sale at Bi-Mart. It has two different sets of stones one course and one smooth. It is very easy to use and gets the knife super sharp.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:13 PM   #3
blacktail519
Ifish Nate

I have found that what works best for me is the ceramic rods that are crossed sharpeners. You just pull the blad through them. They work great on the thin bladed fillet knives. You can get them for under 2 bucks at walmart in the camping section.
blacktail519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 12:17 PM   #4
ajfishfinder
Ifish Nate

Buy a gerber with the ceramic sticks built in the end of the sheath. As long as you use it for ONLY filleting it will stay sharp forever with just a couple of strokes through the sticks. If your cutting bait, cutting fins off, cutting anchor rope, cutting fuel line, carving intials, opening bottles, tightening screws, cleaning finger nails, opening lure packages, and all the other things you use a knife for, step up and buy another one. Keep just one knife STRICKLY for filleting and if you can keep others hands off it, it will serve you well for years and years. The leatherman tools work great for all the other tasks mentioned above.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:55 PM   #5
Dullhook
Ifish Nate

I would recommend a "Chefs Choice" #110. I bought one about ten years ago and it still works great. This one has three separate diamond grit sizes and has magnetic guides to hold the blade at the right angle.

They're not cheap, I payed about $70 for mine back then, but there's nothing like filleting your day's catch with a razor sharp blade. :smile:
Old 09-07-2005, 04:02 PM   #6
Fshklr
Tuna

[image][/image]
Old 09-08-2005, 05:53 AM   #7
StickFish
King Salmon

Location: Somewhere way past the bass clef. Often Tigard Oregon

I just buy a bunch at the local knife maker that start with a K and ends with a W. When one gets dull I toss it in the bag that goes to the annual event to be factory sharpened for free and pull out another one. I only use them to filet fish or game meat nothing else - they last for a long time that way.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:02 AM   #8
weekender
King Salmon

I bought a redi-edge sharpener from sportsmans. $20.00 and it works very well. I've already had two people go buy one after they used mine.
weekender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 08:48 AM   #9
waterman
Cutthroat

One thing - those ceramic ones does not "sharpen" the blade, they only straighten the edge out. If it is really dull, use the diamond grit, sharpening stone, ect. to really sharpen the blade.
waterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 09:42 AM   #10
dirtyCut
Chromer

Ive tried several methods, including some of the above and once I was given this cool little tool I havent needed to try another. Put a little water in the bottom, pull the knife through the roller a few times and watch-out. Ive had the same cheap $15 blade, cut many many fish and still razor sharp.

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/se...productId=14128

KC
dirtyCut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 10:00 AM   #11
fishbait

While there are many nice tools out there that are effective I would recommend that you take the time to learn how to use a good sharpening steel. This will take some practice, but will be a life long skill. You will be suprised at the number of times you will use it. Gueat at a house, chances are they have a steel but don;t know how to use it. Insted of helping do the dishes, sharpen their knives and they will be very grateful. In addition, it is quick and effective. I cary a steel in my boat, camper and with my knives. my 0.02 worth

Member # 287

Mortgage Loan Originator, NMLS # 88726
Direct line 971.250.4510
http://40009.stearnshomeloans.com/st...e.php?id=13040

Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but rather by how many times something takes your breath away.

Lifetime member of NW Steelheaders
Proud Member CCA
fishbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 12:29 PM   #12
skrimmy
Ifish Nate

Quote:
While there are many nice tools out there that are effective I would recommend that you take the time to learn how to use a good sharpening steel. This will take some practice, but will be a life long skill. You will be suprised at the number of times you will use it. Gueat at a house, chances are they have a steel but don;t know how to use it. Insted of helping do the dishes, sharpen their knives and they will be very grateful. In addition, it is quick and effective. I cary a steel in my boat, camper and with my knives. my 0.02 worth
I spent 15 years as a meat cutter and agree with Fishbait. Get a steel, learn how to use it. Lots of different types of steels too. Ceramic and Diamond steels are nice to have in addition to the "usual" steel type.

skrimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 12:34 PM   #13
ICHTHYDEMON
Ifish Nate

Get a Lansky or Gatco sharpener. These sharpeners are about as fool-proof as you can get.
ICHTHYDEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 12:47 PM   #14
HazMatt
Steelhead

Anyplace out there that can correctly show how to use a steel correctly? One can really mess up a blade if you do it at the wrong angle - of course, don't ask how I know this...
I watched a show about it and thought "I can do that"...I looked at the blade after my job, and saw how I changed the angle of the edge...Always thought it would be neat to be able to use one, mine has been sitting in my drawer since then. Maybe I'll have you over for dinner and you can sharpen my knives while I do the dishes! :grin:
HazMatt is offline   Reply With Quote