How do I deep fry Salmon/Steelhead? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 06-15-2005, 02:33 PM   #1
The Overfishin Condition
Sturgeon

Default How do I deep fry Salmon/Steelhead?

I want to try deep frying some fish, because I hear it's excellent. I'd try posting this on the recipes page, but that gets so few hits, I'm hoping Jen will tolerate it here for a just long enough to get some replies. My family has never been a frying family, so what should I use for oil, batter, and how hot should I cook it? Will a regular pot be ok, and how big of strips should I cut? Any and all help appreciated. Thanks, TOC.

Advertisement

Old 06-15-2005, 02:42 PM   #2
Jacks Tackle
Tuna!

Default Re: How do I deep fry Salmon/Steelhead?

Here is the skinny for the best deep fied Salmon and steelhead I have had. I have a small deep fryer at home with regular canola oil in it. I set the heat at 400 and I dip the fish in a mixtuire of 1 egg and 2 cups of milk. then I roll the fish into italian bread crumbs. Very simple and very tasty. As for fish pieces size. I just steak the fish into 3/4 to 1 inch steaks. Having the spine and ribs in will keep the fish together. After frying, the bones are very easy to pull out. Just deep fry until the steak becomes bouyant. About 3 to 5 minutes. My two year old and four year old think it is chicken and can't get enough.
Jacks Tackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 04:09 PM   #3
Fshklr
Tuna

Erik..just like panko Sturgeon.

Skin and De-Bone fillet including taking pliers and pulling the pin bones from the lateral line(this is best done with thawed fish, but takes a little effort with fresh.

Next take your fillet and cut into 4" long chunks(vertical cuts) then cut the chunks legthwise into 3/8 to 1/2 thick strips(Horizontal cuts). Cutting it this way will keep the pieces together and won't fall apart while cooking and ensure uniform cooking(kinda like fish sticks).

Next..get a can of your Favorite beer..Good ol Bud works just fine.
Mix with Pride of west dry mix to form semi thin batter(you may need to add more beer half way through to keep batter thin)..just so it smoothly sticks to the fish about a 1/16 coat..then place directly into Japenese(Origin?)Panko and liberally coat and set aside on cutting board / plastic etc.

Heat deep fryer or large skillet with oil and fry.

Remove from oil after 5 mins or so and season with salt immediately..break a few to test cooking time and adjust temps so it doesn't burn the batter.

Serve with coleslaw, or a pea salad(mayo based)Thaw 1 package frozen peas and drain in paper towels..place in large bowl with enough mayo to coat all peas slightly and add a half dozen crumbled slices of cooked bacon or even sliced procuitto. salt a nd pepper to taste.

This method relies heavily on the KISS method..

Keep it Simple Stupid

Tarter sauce on the side if needed and malt vinegar is a nice acompanyment for the Salmon too

Fshklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 04:25 PM   #4
slowbuilder2005
Chromer

While you're at it, do a search on "Panko" and you'll find many more posts on deep-frying fish (including salmon). Basic process is to use a medium thin mix of Pride of the West batter, then roll it in Panko (find it in the Asian foods section), then deep-fry it. Our Fry Baby works well, as does the Fry Daddy ...and I have no clue what temperature it runs. It just works. And what I posted on deep frying is just one of several variations that you'll find in the Panko threads. Of course, we have excellent results from just using Pride of the West all by itself, or mixed 25% with Krusteaz pancake mix, or that plus beer or 7-Up or carbonated water etc etc. Lots of fun!

We always remove all the bones (although many don't) since we like to hog it down with reckless abandon. We've deep fried rock fish and Lings, tuna, salmon, halibut, cod, and several other fish varieties (some from the store.)

Brian

Psa 107:23-24 Those who go down to the sea in ships, Who do business on great waters; They have seen the works of the LORD, And His wonders in the deep.
slowbuilder2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 06:27 PM   #5
Steelie Steve
Tuna!

Erik... Follow Dan's advice on the Panko. Or follow the directions on the box. We use 1" to 1 1/2" cubes of Salmon and deep fry it that way.

Delicious!

Team "It really is just fishing..."
Steelie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 06:41 PM   #6
Dullhook
Ifish Nate

Try Striper Clubs beer batter recipe which is posted on the Ifisher Recipe page. I've used it on Kokanee fillets and found it delicious. I'm looking forward to using it on Winter steelhead also. :smile:
Old 06-15-2005, 07:51 PM   #7
Lure Dragger
Chromer

My favorite way is to filet and the salmon and take all the bones out, roll it in egg and then in finely ground cheez-its and then fry it in olive oil. Italian bread crumbs is my next best favorite but the cheez-its absolutely can't be beat.

CCA MEMBER
Lure Dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 07:54 PM   #8
Jacks Tackle
Tuna!

LureDragger,

I have never heard of or thought of cheez-its, but man I have some fresh springer that is going in the Cheez-its tonight. Thanks for that info.

Rob Brown
Jacks Tackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 07:58 PM   #9
Lure Dragger
Chromer

The cheez-its are the very best, let me know how you like it. I have fixed them for a lot of people and they can't get enough of it.

CCA MEMBER
Lure Dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 09:08 PM   #10
Dakotan
Chromer

Good with crushed up ritz crackers or bisquick with a little garlic salt added or other seasonings! In the midwest, Shorelunch (coating) is very popular on walleye but I bet it would be tasty on salmon too. In fact, maybe I'll try it as I have a couple springers in my freezer! If you don't have a deep fryer, you can always pan fry it. In that case, cut the fillets pretty thin....no thicker than an inch. Happy eating!
Old 06-16-2005, 07:14 PM   #11
biederboat
Sturgeon

I agree with the Pride of the West batter, it make's very similar to restaraunt fish n' chips. Couple hints: keep the batter very cold, put ice cubes in it. Don't make the fish too thick, I'm not sure of the actual dimension but try and make the thickness less than 1". If it's a fat chinook, cut into thinner strips (steak it).

Biederboat
biederboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 09:32 AM   #12
Catchalot
Steelhead

Somebody please put this on the recipe board. Sounds great!
Catchalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 09:59 AM   #13
Oregonhunter

Just thought I would add....I told the wife about this topic and thought it sounded good so we took half a Springer last night and cut it into 1" slices and deep fried it up and you guys are right it is AWSESOME stuff!

We cooked it up with a side of stuffed mushrooms and was yummy! :tongue:

My two kids arent real big fish eaters but they loved the stuff and even went back for seconds! This is really nice if your in a hurry cause the fish cooks so fast dinner was ready in like 5 minutes.

OH
Oregonhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:05 PM   #14
Bill Rogue V.
King Salmon

OK, an 8-year-old post that deserves to bob back to the surface. I have got to try frying in crushed Cheez-its!
Old 04-23-2013, 04:35 PM   #15
Jar Head
Chromer

I love beer battered salmon! This time of year, when i'm near the end of my stock of frozen fall fish, I'll either deep fry or do a cajun seasoning number on them. Sometimes, lightly freezer burnt fish can be salvaged using the two cooking methods. Cut away any discolored portions of the fish before cooking. If more than, say, 10% of the fish is freezer burned - your call, may not be worth dealing with.

I know, I know - many ifishers say "freezer burned???!!! Throw that out immediately!" Still, some will want to try this
Old 04-23-2013, 06:56 PM   #16
adobe wall
King Salmon

If you want the very best...

Go buy a fry daddy at Wally world or Target. Much better results than pan fried and less messy..

Mail order House-Autry seafood breader. Best on earth, bar none. Use Canola oil.

Plank cut your fish, I like 1 1/2" width planks, no more than about an inch thick.

Take a lighter beer...I like Mirror Pond or anything found on the side of a race car. Dip fish in beer, then in dry breader, then back in the beer, then in the breaded again. Drop in the pre heated fry daddy and fry until golden brown.

Use remaining beer and breader to make onion rings or potato wedges.

This happens every couple of months at my place with some of the tuna captains...will invite you to the next one. Lotsa good eats.
adobe wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:59 PM   #17
stumpyin08
Chromer

Try a tempura beer batter, roll in panko crumbs, and deep fry! Use very cold commerical light beer for the batter, frys up nice.
stumpyin08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:42 PM   #18
gorgebankmaggot
Tuna!

I do Pride of the West then hand sprinkle panko over that

Or

Dip in egg then a thick crust of panko.

Cocktail sauce or ketchup with hot mustard powder or good tartar sauce. I can go either way. Horseradish and soy sauce mixed together works too.

I'm hungry.
gorgebankmaggot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:23 PM   #19
acefishon
Chromer

I think it's a insult to deep fry salmon or steelhead there lots other fish can do that to.Salmon deserves a good oven or grill to do it right not grease , besides got have your butter, lemon and onions with salmon just not right.

I guess if u have too to each there own ,but them tasty fish cost too much to catch for me to put them in grease .
acefishon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:38 AM   #20
gorgebankmaggot
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acefishon View Post
I think it's a insult to deep fry salmon or steelhead there lots other fish can do that to.Salmon deserves a good oven or grill to do it right not grease , besides got have your butter, lemon and onions with salmon just not right.

I guess if u have too to each there own ,but them tasty fish cost too much to catch for me to put them in grease .
So a well established and enjoyed prep method should only be used on crappy fish? Deep frying better fish = better deep fried fish. Salmon and steelhead are absolutely delicious fried...better than any other fish I've ever had in my opinion. Batter fried springer, to me, is the absolute pinnacle of cooked fish.
gorgebankmaggot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:05 AM   #21
Tanner
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorgebankmaggot View Post
So a well established and enjoyed prep method should only be used on crappy fish? Deep frying better fish = better deep fried fish. Salmon and steelhead are absolutely delicious fried...better than any other fish I've ever had in my opinion. Batter fried springer, to me, is the absolute pinnacle of cooked fish.

Come on now... Deep fried albacore or halibut is awfully hard to beat.

Team Motion Marine Outback Fishing Machine Division)
Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:13 AM   #22
Snake_River
Steelhead

Filet salmon..remove skin and pin bones... cut to appropriate size...dredge in flour to which lemon pepper & onion powder has been added... make an egg wash (one egg to one tablespoon of water).. dip dredged (floured) pieces in egg wash... press panko crumbs onto salmon pieces... oil at 350 degrees... fry to the consistency desired... provide lemon wedges... enjoy..

This is the batter I use for Walleye....
Snake_River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:33 PM   #23
fishbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake_River View Post
Filet salmon..remove skin and pin bones... cut to appropriate size...dredge in flour to which lemon pepper & onion powder has been added... make an egg wash (one egg to one tablespoon of water).. dip dredged (floured) pieces in egg wash... press panko crumbs onto salmon pieces... oil at 350 degrees... fry to the consistency desired... provide lemon wedges... enjoy..

This is the batter I use for Walleye....
Very similar to what I do and it is very good..............

Member # 287

Mortgage Loan Originator, NMLS # 88726
Direct line 971.250.4510
http://40009.stearnshomeloans.com/st...e.php?id=13040

Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but rather by how many times something takes your breath away.

Lifetime member of NW Steelheaders
Proud Member CCA
fishbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:02 PM   #24
fishkid2

? A

www.thereeldealtackle.com
fishkid2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:29 PM   #25
beavers82
Tuna!

I use Sylvia's Fish Fry Mix. Had it when I was down south 1 trip and haven't looked back. Can order online, free shippng with a prime account. We deep fry alot of the fall fish, makes great fish tacos!
beavers82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:58 PM   #26
2dognite
Chromer

Here is the best deep fried salmon/ steelhead you will ever eat. Take the skin off of a fillet. Make sure there are no bones left in fillet. Cut into chunks about the size of your thumb. Roll chunks in plain yellow mustard and then roll in seasoned bread crumbs. Deep fry until done. Dip in tarter sauce or eat plain. It is the best way I have ever tried. If you hate mustard like me you will still enjoy it.

2dognite
Old 04-25-2013, 08:17 PM   #27
OregonLou
Steelhead

Thumbs up Re: How do I deep fry Salmon/Steelhead?

Erik, tonight I made "Beer Battered" Cod, I drink a 22 oz Pyramid "Outburst" while I'm getting started....then I take my cod, cut it into reasonable pieces that will cook well...I put "Pride of the West" in a small bowl...cover my Cod in the dry batter mix...and set on a piece of foil or wax paper...then I mix "Red Chair" Ale with a cup of "Pride of the West" all purpose batter mix until i get a slightly thinner version of pancake batter. Dip the coated Cod into the mixture and then right into the 350 degree HOT oil. I do this with Coho and Fall Chinook every year...it's wonderful.

DeepFriedLou
OregonLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:30 PM   #28
OregonLou
Steelhead

Smile Re: How do I deep fry Salmon/Steelhead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonLou View Post
Erik, tonight I made "Beer Battered" Cod, I drink a 22 oz Pyramid "Outburst" while I'm getting started....then I take my cod, cut it into reasonable pieces that will cook well...I put "Pride of the West" in a small bowl...cover my Cod in the dry batter mix...and set on a piece of foil or wax paper...then I mix "Red Chair" Ale with a cup of "Pride of the West" all purpose batter mix until i get a slightly thinner version of pancake batter. Dip the coated Cod into the mixture and then right into the 350 degree HOT oil. I do this with Coho and Fall Chinook every year...it's wonderful.

DeepFriedLou
That's great "Lou", Do you have any "Pics"??? Well, Yes I do.

Ok, the "Beer Battered" Cod is on the left..the Penko Crusted Shrimp is on the right and of course..."Tots" !

Lou
OregonLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:12 AM   #29
Vandal_57
Chromer

Ask "One-Sick-Stick"

Last edited by Vandal_57; 04-26-2013 at 07:17 AM.
Vandal_57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:12 AM   #30
buhbuhfish
Chromer

For the batter I prefer Golden Dipt fish and chips batter. I order it 30 lbs at a time online and split it with a few buddies. I have not found a batter that wont hold the oil like this stuff. The breading comes out perfect every time. Follow the directions but I recommend substituting beer for the water . I also prefer a good deep fryer. A deep fryer will help you keep the oil at a constant temp and that also helps keep the fish less greasy. I like to make the the salmon pieces about the size of chicken McNuggets. This method is one of my family's favorite way to eat salmon and steelhead.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:43 PM   #31
Doryfisher
Chromer

Friends do not let friends deep fry salmon or steelhead..............

Try Bronzing: Clarify some butter and get it smoking hot in a saute pan. Place the seasoned filet skin side up in the smoking hot butter....... keep the heat on it and cover. Keep the skin on as the natural oils seep through the filet.

Cook through all the way through on one side, removing the cover when 3/4 the way cooked. DO NOT over cook...... When it's almost done, rmove from pan, drain and let it rest for a few minutes, remove skin then a fresh squeeze of lemon and viola...............
Old 04-29-2013, 03:25 PM   #32
Danno
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doryfisher View Post
Friends do not let friends deep fry salmon or steelhead..............
I agree but to each their own. I'll admit, I've only had once. At Rock Bottom downtown. It was just a bit too gamey for my taste.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:22 PM   #33
seahawk
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Overfishin Condition View Post
I want to try deep frying some fish, because I hear it's excellent. Thanks, TOC.
First, I'm with those who say to forget deep frying salmon or steelhead. Stick with butter (or a half butter half olive oil mixture) and lemon or wine with herbs. You don't need to coat and fry fish that taste like they were heaven sent straight out of the river. You should cook fresh caught fish as lightly as possible. Deep fry fish only when you want to mask or cover up the taste of the fish, as a last resort to keeping it edible. With springers all we do is dot them with butter and fresh lemon and a sprinkle of dill, and bake them in the oven at 400 for 20 minutes. OMG !

Second, I generally don't deep fry fish at all since it is healthier, cleaner, less expensive, and easier to use olive oil in skillet on the stove top on medium heat. We will bread and pan fry salmon and steelhead only if they were frozen for way more than a few months. We do this using fresh walleye, bass and catfish and other white fish all the time.

One of my breading mixture favorites is super simple:

Cut your fish into people size fillet portions. One or two per person.

Mix equal amounts (determined by the quantity of fish needed) of dried bread crumbs (any type you choose) with finely grated Parmesan cheese. So if all you have is one decent size walleye and you're making dinner for two, you only need half a cup of each. Then maybe a teaspoon of onion powder and a teaspoon of garlic powder and half a teaspoon or more of dill, paprika and black pepper, to taste. You don't need to add extra salt to this mixture. Mix in a bowl.

One egg (use more eggs to match the quantity of fish) -- mix with a fork and then dip and coat the fish TWICE carefully so the breading mix sticks. Then lay these carefully on a plate to dry for a few minutes while your pan is heating up.

Then use just enough olive oil to barely cover the bottom of the frying pan usually no more than maybe a quarter of an inch. If you do more than one pan-full, you may need to add a little more oil each time. It's hot enough when a drop of water spatters. Then cook the breaded fish four to five minutes on a side on medium, just hot enough so it browns slowly without burning it. Watch it carefully and flip with tongs or a spatula when it is just golden brown. You just barely want it bubbling. I've got an electric glass top and we cook fish on number 5. Drain for a minute on some paper towels then serve.

Voila. This is a killer recipe. Enjoy.
seahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:14 AM   #34
Misguided
Tuna!

In my house, DF Salmon is called "Salmon Nuggets" and "Steelhead Candy" with Hush puppies.
The dry stuff: I use bisquick seasoned with Johnny's seafood seasoning, garlic and onion powder & Mrs. Dash.
The wet stuff: is made up of butter milk, 2 eggs & the same dry seasoning ingredients.
Cut fish into 1" chunks & throw into the wet stuff & let soak for 1/2 hour. Then strain the chunks & drop em in the dry stuff & thoroughly coat & drop into the deep fryer (carefully) & cook for 9 mins., repeat until done.
On the start of the 1st batch of fish have the significant other (or a well seasoned kid with a positive cooking background) start mixing up the hush puppies & cook in a separate fryer until they just start to turn a golden brown.
Now tor the topping (or dip) add an equal amount of tartar sauce & ketchup, mix & serve.

Be carefull not to eat so much that you cannot sleep that night!!!
Misguided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:46 AM   #35
wapiteaser
Ifish Nate

At our house they are called fish balls...Got called into the kindergarten room and the teacher wanted to know what fish balls were. My son was going to do a show and tell on fish balls and she was a little leary of letting him....lol...anyway, cut fish into chunks, mix krusteaz shake and fry with a little milk and beer. Add pepper and salt to taste and dip and fry...taste as good cold as hot...don't get your oil temp too hot.
wapiteaser is offline   Reply With Quote