Ceiling Fans Hunter vs. Hampton Bay - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Old 05-27-2005, 12:29 PM   #1
StickFish
King Salmon

Location: Somewhere way past the bass clef. Often Tigard Oregon
Default Ceiling Fans Hunter vs. Hampton Bay

Well we decided to replace the aged ceiling fan in our bedroom yesterday. That was the easy part. I hope someone finds this useful to them.

Picked up a Hampton Bay 60" which included a wireless remote - ya just what I need another remote. Started the assembly - and what a royal pain in the Arse. The remote received mounts inside the canopy cover, that is the piece that covers the electrical at the top by the ceiling, with the wires and all the darn thing bearly fit as the directions indicated - were talking 100lb military press one handed from a rickety step ladder while trying to fit a little screw in - talk about not easy. After 5 hours of toying with this thing I finally get to the point of flipping the switch - light turns on and nothing else - oh my. Check the trouble shooting guide - guess what take it apart - OH MY GO#

Needless to say I was back at the orange box store returning the *** fan. If you are thinking of a Hampton Bay fan - they are terrible. DON'T DO IT!

Ted Culin

Today, I go to the Blue Box store and pick up a Hunter brand fan. After looking at them they appear to be the same manufacturer just a different name. Let me tell you this fan is built right - you don't have to wedge the receiver into the canopy, its built into the lower unit that hangs below the fan. One hour no mess and the fan was installed and working 100%

Hunter is the way to go

Advertisement

Old 05-27-2005, 12:43 PM   #2
Cool Texan
King Salmon

Default Re: Ceiling Fans Hunter vs. Hampton Bay

Not sure what kind we got from the Depot a couple of years ago...but its also the remote control kind (very nice to have). It was an easy install..nothing extra required due to the remote. It was out of the box and on the ceiling in a short amount of time.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:30 PM   #3
newbeebob
Steelhead

Oh No! Why couldn't you have posted this yesterday. Picked up Hampton Bay fan with remote last night at HD. Will be installing it tomorrow. Hope I don't have the same problems.

Wish me luck
Old 05-27-2005, 02:06 PM   #4
StickFish
King Salmon

Good luck if the remote receiver has to be wired in and lives in the canopy just be prepared for a tight fit. I'm pretty sure I probably had a bad receiver, I just didn't want to play games with that fan given how hard it was to access the little white box. Also the 3" wood screws that hold the top plate are pretty soft so drill the 9/64" pilot holes and lube up the screw with bar soap or something else you might strip the heads and have to resort to a flat blade like I did.

Good luck
Old 05-27-2005, 03:29 PM   #5
clearjb
Coho

Next time buy a fan without a remote and purchace a fan speed control. A dimmer switch will not work. A speed control goes in the box that replaces the switch. They also make a combo that has a control for the light and for the fan. These are a little more expensive but you don't have to change batteries or search for the remote.
clearjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 04:41 PM   #6
StickFish
King Salmon

Trick is finding one now a days that doesn't have the wireless remote - they are the rage. In the style I wanted there wasn't one that didn't have a remote. Believe me I looked at that today before I bought the Hunter.
Old 05-28-2005, 09:09 AM   #7
clearjb
Coho

Alothough the major home improvement stores have wide selection of fans and lights try a lighting contractor they are a little more expensive but in my line of work it makes all the difference. Ussually they will get you what you want and stand behind it.
clearjb is offline   Reply With Quote